Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
mdmarmd
Established Member

M.O.C. #20369
50 Amp RV Power Cord Reel Not Working

I was just packing up my Montana Montana 3720RL and the last thing to do was retract the 50 amp cord. Push rocker switch--nothing. I had to manually roll about 25 ft of the cord back on the reel--no small task in low 40 degree weather at 9PM. We had to leave and the RV that night and it will be towed to a storage site for the winter.

So I couldn't do any trouble shooting of the problem. But I am wondering if anyone has had this experience and what they did to remedy it. I assume there must be a fuse for this but it could be a bad rocker switch, motor, etc.

I believe it is a Shoreline® Low Profile Power Cord Reel, at least that is what the Montana 3720RL site says.

Any guidance will be helpful as I will need to attend to this first thing in the cold April weather next year.

Thanks,

Doug Mar
mdmarmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I know this will not help you, but I see an electric cord real as another totally unnecessary electronic thing to brake down and cause you grief.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
My rocker went bad and I replaced it with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pull yours out first and check to see how many terminals are on the back, this one has 6.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I know this will not help you, but I see an electric cord real as another totally unnecessary electronic thing to brake down and cause you grief.
We have the manual cord reel which I think is the greatest invention since the wheel. We agree on the electric version . We had a choice and did not go for the electric version.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14547
Like any other electrical gadget - check voltage to the switch. If none, check the wiring and fuse. If wiring to the switch shows ~12VDC, then check the switch and connections to the motor. If they are good, then that motor has some sort of problem. Good luck and please report back what it was so others can understand where to look if they have a similar problem

That reel - nice gadget but takes up way more room then its functionability - but that's only my opinion. My cord plus 30' extension oly take up an 18-20" dia x 5-6" high moveable 'pile' on the basement floor that I can put other items on while traveling
Old 10-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Pretty soon you will be able to use your smart phone to remotely roll your cord up from the camp fire with the in-command. LOL
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote