Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
we purchased our 2018 3121 from CW in SC got a great deal, no extra fees, basically did our research. I always wanted a Montana, and made a connection with Keystone Customer Service, they helped a little, but will never let CW work on this RV again. I have done 90% of the work, and even fixed what CW had fixed. One thing we have now learned is CW put in for parts and labor on some items, got paid for it, now Keystone and CW are telling me they wont fix or pay for the items that were never fixed and CW got the money for it.

I left a review for CW, got a call from corporate, but all you get to do is chase your tail calling this one or that one, no one ever gets in touch with you to rectify the situation.

To date I have corrected everything (all my issues were small) but Keystone wont sell you parts and CW wants to charge you extra for it. I would never ever ever use CW for anything anymore, and quite frankly I have always had more luck with Forest River, as I have owned 4 FR products before and never had these issues ever, but you live and learn.

Anytime I open a compartment to fix something, I find all sorts of screws, wood chips and saw dust, and not just a little, but now that I have corrected every little thing and opened all the compartments to clean them up, it is now the rig it should have been in the first place from the Factory, these MFG's are getting away with it all, and so are the Dealers....

Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Wicked 1 what problems did you have with your camper that wasn’t fixed?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wicked 1 Keystone will not sell you parts because they do not stock parts. Look at the number of brands and models Keystone manufactures they could not build a warehouse big enough. They will tell you to order through your dealer and the dealer will order directly from the vendor who supplies the parts.

We have had two Montana's since 2006 and we have had problems but nothing of the magnitude you have experienced. We did not purchase from CW nor would we have considered it
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
If they are building the for cheap people, then dont have an msrp of 90k! Dont ever ever sell me trash!. We have owned 2 Aljos, 1 prowler, one kz new vision ultra. NoT one had the slide gears strip, not one had rear leaf spring bolts break.. dont tell me they all did it.. They ALL DO IT BECAUSE THOR OWNS THEM!!! I WISHED THEIR would be a class action where all that wants to would have thor would buy them back,!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #25
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
we purchased our 2018 3121 from CW in SC got a great deal, no extra fees, basically did our research. I always wanted a Montana, and made a connection with Keystone Customer Service, they helped a little, but will never let CW work on this RV again. I have done 90% of the work, and even fixed what CW had fixed. One thing we have now learned is CW put in for parts and labor on some items, got paid for it, now Keystone and CW are telling me they wont fix or pay for the items that were never fixed and CW got the money for it.

I left a review for CW, got a call from corporate, but all you get to do is chase your tail calling this one or that one, no one ever gets in touch with you to rectify the situation.

To date I have corrected everything (all my issues were small) but Keystone wont sell you parts and CW wants to charge you extra for it. I would never ever ever use CW for anything anymore, and quite frankly I have always had more luck with Forest River, as I have owned 4 FR products before and never had these issues ever, but you live and learn.

Anytime I open a compartment to fix something, I find all sorts of screws, wood chips and saw dust, and not just a little, but now that I have corrected every little thing and opened all the compartments to clean them up, it is now the rig it should have been in the first place from the Factory, these MFG's are getting away with it all, and so are the Dealers....
We've had, black water valve fail, waterheater not connected, cargo door screws strip out, slide gears strip, rear leaf spring bolts break. Ceiling fan blades fall down, fridge doors ripping cabinet doors off while moving slide, shower door handles fall off.. refer have limit switch open so no cooling, axles not aligned, window handles break off, screw molding strips at tou of rv near roof disintegrate in 6 months, led lights burn out, to name some and absolutely NO HELP FROM KEYSTONE! None!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #26
dhimber1

M.O.C. #13487
Bought three RVs from Laazy days and never never had quality service. They always tried to put off repairs and never did a good job when they did a repair. My fault for going back to them the second and third time.
dhimber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Did you purchase from Happy Daz?
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #28
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
15 years ago I sold RVs from a family owned dealership. Our PDI boys worked hard to complete the wrong and incomplete work from the factory. That 15 years ago. When I questioned them they said they all came from the factory a mess. Our dealership took pride in trying to get it all correct. BUT, I told ALL my clients that purchased new they would bring it back at l east 3 times for warrenty work.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #29
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
And that's why I'm keeping my 2005 Big Sky
Just hope not too many Campgrounds insist on a 10 year old rule...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRman View Post
And that's why I'm keeping my 2005 Big Sky
Just hope not too many Campgrounds insist on a 10 year old rule...
My 2011 unit looks new and is stored inside a pole building when not in use. If ANY campground refuses to let me stay there because of its age, then screw them, ill take my business elsewhere. What yahoo came up with that rule anyway ?.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #31
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Your experience mirrors mine Wicked1. The CS rep at Keystone told me that the RV industry is not regulated in any way, so they do what they want. My dealer is frustrated because they're forced to tell me a problem that happens 60 days after purchase is mine to personally repair or pay a dealer to repair; simply because it's an adjustment. I'm sick of the 'loyal' MT owners who say they're handy so it's easier to just fix it themselves - PLEASE, fix mine too. If the factory Does Not Care then change is in order - buy a Solitude; same floorplans & built better, similar pricing, but made like Montanas were years back. Started by the 3 businessmen who started the Montana line in the late 1990s. Oh wait, they now make the Solitude to a higher standard. That's why we see their growing presence on the road each year. Brand loyalty is one thing but, please don't make life difficult for yourself just to be loyal. I'm not embarrassed to tell my friends that my most recent purchase is a POS. I've owned 7 Montanas, now I'm done. My 2020 3720RL is my last Montana. Things I've fixed included replacing a faulty door entry handle and acquiring a cover for the disc brake reservoir (safety items). Here is my repair list after I fixed 6 items because dealers want a 3-4 month lead time.
The carpet under the bedroom slide is coming loose.
The vinyl flooring has bubbles in the laundry/bathroom hallway.
The bedroom door latch constantly is getting stuck so the door does not catch.
The bathroom hot water faucet is very squeaky.
The sliding pocket bathroom door gets hung up.
The rear sofa window blind is mounted off-center and needs to be centered.
The rear window sun-screen shade has distracting manufacturing defects - just ask my wife.
The blind on the small dinette side window does not open completely.
One recliner arm is loose and the cheap LR furniture is rapidly deteriorating. We need new furniture - the High Country Sofa and Theatre Seating looks like better quality.
The folding dinette chairs have staples poking through the fabric.
The smudges on the woodwork and walls are ugly and need to be removed (a special solvent is needed).
Many finish staples are showing and not covered at all.
The rear end cap has a white film on it that is difficult to remove. It’s in the deep grooves and must be a factory applied finishing compound. Was it damaged and repaired at the factory? A piece of the end cap fell off - really?!
The Awning LED light strip is coming loose from its attachment.
The Right Fender has come loose. During the first 1050 freeway miles, most of the screws came loose which caused this damage. I had to make a temporary repair. No washer repair acceptable, only quality workmanship.
The awnings squeak and chatter - lubing them does not help AND "it's an adjustment."
Squeaking Window with damaged frame next to left recliner.
Recliner/dinette Slide screeches when extending/retracting - it's mine to own.
Corner trim piece fell off of TV slide.
The bedroom TV arm is loose.
Slides are very squeaky. X3
Sealant missing on the right side under the slide.
Screen door leaks and is mounted about 1" too high - go figure.
Poorly installed Cable attachment is damaging the bedroom slide trim.
The entry steps rub when opening/closing.
These are still a partial list. I believe my rig was built on a Friday at midnight after happy-hour... Ha. Make that at Happy Hour. LOL
Let's be honest - Montana seems to be synonymous with Crap these days. All this after just 1050 miles.
The RV industry is fighting RV Lemon Laws - they want to keep on doing it to us - research Illinois RV Lemon Laws.
There are lawyers now who are going to bat for us - it's a sad situation.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Revert back to post #10.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #33
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Gee... My old 2004 has been pretty good to me and I bought it used! I've fixed or modified a few things, but overall no complaints about the quality of construction. Guess I better keep it in shape and make it my retirement rig!
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #34
jarnold60
Established Member

M.O.C. #24316
I purchased a 2019 Montana 3790 rd in August 2018, and within the first day the front closet rod broke loose from the ceiling mount (no solid wood behind panelling). Over the next year both theater chairs controls malfunctioned, one of which caused the chair to open into the slide and damaged the chair, the hydraulic pump motor for the 6 way leveling and two slides, failed, lots of trim pieces fell off, the lino in kitchen billowed up when the furnace was on, lino lifting in front of bathroom, bathroom fan shroud cracked, toilet won't hold water, oven is off by more than 50 degrees, power shuts off to microwave when used for more than 30 minutes, tv antennae was broken and had to be replaced, tile backsplash above stove fell off and the kitchen faucet leaks at the counter top. I made 7 trips to a dealer 1/2 hour drive each way and lost two full days vacation to try to get the issues resolved. Four are still unresolved and Keystone refuses to make good on them. Spending $125,000 on the Montana I thought Keystone would be bending over backwards given the huge problems I've had in one year. Worst customer service I have ever experienced and I will never buy a Keystone RV again. I often get asked for recommendations on rvs as I have been rving for 25 years, and I will not be recommending anyone buy a Keystone RV. I have owned two previous new units, a 27 foot Jazz and a 3055 Bighorn, both of which had only minor issues, and cost me a fraction of what the new Montana cost me.
jarnold60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #35
mbjam359
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20338
We made a short maiden voyage in our 2020 Montana 3931FB last weekend. No issues to date. One of the fender screws became loose on the way home from the dealer so I put silicone all of them. This has happened to the previous 5ers we had so nothing new.
We were very pleased with our 2018 3811MS we just traded. I believe the only issue we had with it was fender screws and compartment door leaking. I changed weather stripping myself. I hope I don't jinx myself but I am proud to be a Montana owner.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #36
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
I understand that you are talking about a pre-delivery inspection. Are you referring to D&T RV Service, 2719 Firethorn Drive, Goshen, IN 46526?
A warranty service such as you're describing would be very welcome.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #37
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Amen bro. Spend your money on updates and enjoy the rig you have.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #38
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
If they are building the for cheap people, then dont have an msrp of 90k! Dont ever ever sell me trash!. We have owned 2 Aljos, 1 prowler, one kz new vision ultra. NoT one had the slide gears strip, not one had rear leaf spring bolts break.. dont tell me they all did it.. They ALL DO IT BECAUSE THOR OWNS THEM!!! I WISHED THEIR would be a class action where all that wants to would have thor would buy them back,!
I'm in!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #39
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Take a look at info on the Illinois Lemon Law here:
https://www.rvtravel.com/illinois-le...-game-changer/
Old 10-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #40
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
As I said above now 6000 miles and no issues other than self created ones. From reading the above I am beginning to believe that luck and the 9 page 38 point walk through document I sent my dealer the day they called to let me know it was in and the 2 weeks they had it before I could pick it up has something to do with my no issues. I also think the model I chose (not allot built) and the fact that I ordered it may have something to do with it.

This is in no way is an excuse but a thought. One plant pumping out so many different models on the same line with the same people. Think about a auto plant for example building a week of one model, then shifting to another, then another and so on, what a quality mess that would be.

Correct we need stronger penalties for crap work, an RV lemon law with teeth. And I'm sorry, with that many issues I would have had a lawyer deal with it.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote