Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
Send a message via AIM to Vermonters Send a message via MSN to Vermonters Send a message via Yahoo to Vermonters
RV TPMS Monitoring on my Ford Trucks Console

Recently I had the misfortune to blow the engine in my 2011 F350 Lariat when the Driving Assist decided it should shift to first gear while going down a hill at 65 MPH. Oh well, now I own a 2019 F350 Lariat Sport. I heard and have researched a little about the ability to put TPMS in my 5th wheel tires and have it display on the truck's console.

I see the Ford kit is around $500 but I have also viewed a video where the implication was that I would simply buy 4 Ford compatible TPMS devices, put them in the tires and train the truck to recognize them.

Also Ford keeps mentioning this wiring harness???

Does anyone have experience doing this kind of thing and if so can you enlighten me?

Thanks
--Joe

Old 10-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonters View Post
Recently I had the misfortune to blow the engine in my 2011 F350 Lariat when the Driving Assist decided it should shift to first gear while going down a hill at 65 MPH. Oh well, now I own a 2019 F350 Lariat Sport. I heard and have researched a little about the ability to put TPMS in my 5th wheel tires and have it display on the truck's console.

I see the Ford kit is around $500 but I have also viewed a video where the implication was that I would simply buy 4 Ford compatible TPMS devices, put them in the tires and train the truck to recognize them.

Also Ford keeps mentioning this wiring harness???

Does anyone have experience doing this kind of thing and if so can you enlighten me?

Thanks
--Joe
There is a lot of confusion about this system; the information I got from my dealer was wrong. Long read, but you might want to take a look at this:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-new-f450.html

The Ford trailer TPMS is not wireless. You will need the kit that includes the wiring harness and the sensors. https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com...8aAm3oEALw_wcB

The wiring harness does double duty and is necessary if you also install the Ford trailer mounted back up camera.

After researching it and finding out that neither the Ford camera nor the Ford TPMS were wireless, I decided to go back to the TST wireless TPMS and Furrion wireless back up camera that I took off my old truck.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
Send a message via AIM to Vermonters Send a message via MSN to Vermonters Send a message via Yahoo to Vermonters
Thanks fo r the information

I agree, I am not taking off the underbelly of my 5er and running a cable.

PPPP on Fords part as far as I am concerned. I'll buy a separate unit as well.

It looked good anyway.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have the Ford OEM and camera. Nice having it incorporated into the display and a cleaner dash.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Dtingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #20561
Did you have any issues having the sensors installed on the wheels? I have the kit from Ford but the sensors would not fit on the wheels of the current (soon to be old camper). My 2020 3790RD should be delivered next month.
Dtingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
If it had come installed from the factory that would had been nice.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:42 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I like Ford products but I don't like issues like $500 for a TPMS for the RV when other wireless products are better and much cheaper. Same goes for the mapping software in Ford products--upgrades are out of sight. Why didn't Ford just get a deal with Garmin and upgrades would be virtually free. OK--Ford will not make as much $$$$$. My rant is over now!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsusan View Post
.... Same goes for the mapping software in Ford products--upgrades are out of sight. Why didn't Ford just get a deal with Garmin and upgrades would be virtually free. OK--Ford will not make as much $$$$$. My rant is over now!
GM and Ram are the same as Ford about having to buy the expensive map updates, even though Ram updates are thru Garmin according to their web site. All about $150 unless you can catch a special sale on them. I do still have older Garmin that I still get free updates and do so at least yearly even though I almost never use it. But it does require an internet connection to do the updates. That would be a problem for updating a vehicle GPS.

I prefer using my built in GPS over having a separate monitor sitting on the dash and hiding it when I am parked. I only update the maps about every 2-3 years. Major routes just don't change that much.

My daughter just bought a 2020 Chevy Colorado. It does not have a built in GPS. BUT. She can connect her phone via USB to the infotainment system and display google maps from the phone on the truck display. Now that is a great feature as maps are always up to date.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
My daughter just bought a 2020 Chevy Colorado. It does not have a built in GPS. BUT. She can connect her phone via USB to the infotainment system and display google maps from the phone on the truck display. Now that is a great feature as maps are always up to date.
The Sync 3 on my Ford has the same feature. For Android phones install Android Auto, Apple Car Play for IOS. If I plug my phone it, the system switches to Android Auto and everything on my phone is available on the Ford display.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
The Sync 3 on my Ford has the same feature. For Android phones install Android Auto, Apple Car Play for IOS. If I plug my phone it, the system switches to Android Auto and everything on my phone is available on the Ford display.
That is good news. Bad news is that I am not likely to buy a new truck until I sell the Monte and downsize.
Oh well, the DW will probably be wanting a new Expedition soon and I can at least get that upgrade on hers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtingle View Post
Did you have any issues having the sensors installed on the wheels? I have the kit from Ford but the sensors would not fit on the wheels of the current (soon to be old camper). My 2020 3790RD should be delivered next month.
No issues fitting mine. Just make sure if you have it done you balance and they re-inflate to 110

Wheels from the factory are not balanced
Old 10-12-2019, 01:51 AM   #12
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
I also have a Garmin RV specific GPS and love it. I do't think anyone has more accurate maps. My truck has Internet capability. It cam with the most basic map I ever saw, no detail what so ever. Thanks to everyone for the replies. Still trying to determine the best route.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #13
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
It works well

I bought a 2019 High Contry a couple of months ago and a 2019 FOrd F250 to pull it. I ordered the Ford TPMS from the dealer Accessories guy, seems like it was about $500-600. I installed it myself, it all fits up front on the Fifth Wheel Pin Box. No worries--easy. The much-feared cable is about 25 feet long, and includes a branch for the wired camera (I preferred the wireless Furrion, and 25' was too short for my 37-footer). It comes with an alternate plug-in connector that is easy to swap out at the lower back bumper. I used Gorilla tape to wrap the camera cable into the TPMS cable for neatness. My Ford dealer and RV dealer refused to install the TPMS sensors inside the tires because it included "breaking the bead", which apparently freaked them out, and they also said they did not have a lift big enough to lift the trailer to pull the tires (ever heard of this new-fangled thing called a "jack"?). Anyway, I took the whole thing to Discount Tires and parked it there, and in an hour or so it was all installed. Once I hit about 20 mph puling away, all of them popped up on the Ford display. I bought a highly accurate digital high-pressure tire gauge, and the TPMS measured either exactly what the gauge did or within one pound of the gauge measurement. It has worked perfectly since then. After my second foray with the trailer, as I was leaving the RV park I got a warning on the truck display that the front left tire was low--sound and light. The amber pressure was "42" instead of 95. I took it back and aired it up and got it home. Turns out the valve stem had a crack in it perhaps from the factory, and the Ford dealer is replacing it under warranty. Sweet!

Ford TPMS: Works good, easy to install, good Ford warranty. Pricier than some alternatives, but I wanted it integrated into the dash display. The camera cable is too short for a big fifth wheel, so go wireless (Furrion is the simplest, but more expensive, for a new Keystone product as it is prewired and literally four screws and plug-and-play.)
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I don't have the option of a factory integrated TPMS but thinking about it, I like having temperature available on each tire. Never thought of putting sensors on the spares, good idea $$$.

I have a factory GPS but opted for the Garmin RV GPS with high warnings, anything to help from doing stupid stuff.

I seldom use the 3 backup cameras so that sits inside the console most of the time, but works very well.

I like the new GM option that makes the trailer appear to disappear but I would bet that's a mess to install.

Technology is a wonderful thing, but hope to never have to make use of it to stay out of trouble.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #15
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I got the Ford OEM back up cam and TPMS with the new truck. Install was not too bad. Just ran the cable underneath and wire tied it to frame and pipes. The cam came with a cable that when connected to the tire monitor gave me about 40' which was just enough for my 3731FL. The cam is so so as it only works in backing up and you have to hit about 3 buttons on dash to get to it, then if you go forward you have to go through all the buttons again to get it back. Trying to do too many things with one dash monitor. The TPMS is awesome however. Just dropped off the valve stems to the RV dealer before we picked up the 5er and they installed them without issue. It's nice to know exactly what I'm running in all my tires at any time. I did not opt for the OEM GPS though as the dealer didn't think it was trucker specs. I already had a Magellan from my old truck and just use that. Now I've added a wireless rear view cam so I can monitor the traffic behind me on the road. Now the truck looks like the cockpit of a plane with all the screens and such plus the holder for my cell phone. The regular back up cam on the truck is interesting as it shows you a view looking straight down on the truck along with vehicles and curbs and shrubs and such all around you. Not sure how they do that but it's neat. There's like 7 cams all around the truck. I'm guessing that's how GM makes your trailer disappear. Voo Doo cams.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I got the Ford OEM back up cam and TPMS with the new truck. Install was not too bad. Just ran the cable underneath and wire tied it to frame and pipes. The cam came with a cable that when connected to the tire monitor gave me about 40' which was just enough for my 3731FL. The cam is so so as it only works in backing up and you have to hit about 3 buttons on dash to get to it, then if you go forward you have to go through all the buttons again to get it back. Trying to do too many things with one dash monitor. The TPMS is awesome however. Just dropped off the valve stems to the RV dealer before we picked up the 5er and they installed them without issue. It's nice to know exactly what I'm running in all my tires at any time. I did not opt for the OEM GPS though as the dealer didn't think it was trucker specs. I already had a Magellan from my old truck and just use that. Now I've added a wireless rear view cam so I can monitor the traffic behind me on the road. Now the truck looks like the cockpit of a plane with all the screens and such plus the holder for my cell phone. The regular back up cam on the truck is interesting as it shows you a view looking straight down on the truck along with vehicles and curbs and shrubs and such all around you. Not sure how they do that but it's neat. There's like 7 cams all around the truck. I'm guessing that's how GM makes your trailer disappear. Voo Doo cams.
Jim look up NAVTV have a device that you install and it makes the cameras come on all the time. This way the FORD OEM trailer camera works as an observation camera. It will also remember the last camera view. So when you put it in reverse is goes right back to where you left off.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:33 AM   #17
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Jim look up NAVTV have a device that you install and it makes the cameras come on all the time. This way the FORD OEM trailer camera works as an observation camera. It will also remember the last camera view. So when you put it in reverse is goes right back to where you left off.
Thanks Jeff, I'm going to look into that.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tire pressure, tpms