Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #21
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Im not really doubting the bent axle reports but, can you possibly imagine what kind of torque or "moment" in engineering terms it takes to bend a three inch metal tube three feet away from the fulcrum point pressing on a point only 10-12" away from the other side of the fulcrum point.

prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #22
Okie-Dokie
Established Member

M.O.C. #19048
Had wear on curbside tire after mobile service checked and repacked the bearings. Didn't watch the entire procedure so don't know if they torqued after. could not tell if there was abnormal wear on opposite tire but took it to CW and had alignment checked. Within specs so went back on the road. No further problems so can only conclude that not being properly torqued can cause this type of abnormal wear although I would expect it to create a wobble or wavy pattern.
Okie-Dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #23
MrMeeks
Established Member

M.O.C. #18450
I'm having the same tire wear problem on my 2008 2955 RL. Already replaced one axle and now the other axle shows tire wear problems. Repair shop couldn't find any problem with the axle. I will go back and have the leaf springs checked to see if they can support those 6k axles. Thanks to all!
MrMeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #24
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I’d venture that some of the tire wear issues folks are having is caused by...
.. wrong air pressure for load
.. suspension hasn’t been routinely lubed...
***If it’s not a wet volt system it needs to be and I’d correct that before anything else
.. wheel bearing issue on tire with wear.. either too loose and or failing
.. broken spring or worn out leaf spring hangers due to lack of lubrication or extreme angle during backing

... yellow plates will not be on all suspension systems.will depend on year of the RV and whether it has the “correct track” installed.. not all do... mine doesn’t
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #25
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Our brand new 2016 3160RL had little to NO grease in all of the zerk fittings. So now before every trip, hubby pumps grease in all zerk fittings & greases the wheel bearings. Two yr old tires seem to be wearing evenly.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #26
MrMeeks
Established Member

M.O.C. #18450
Just curious. Have same problem but can't convince any service advisor that leaf springs could be the issue. Already had one axle replaced 3 years ago. Trying again this week. I found leaf springs at e-trailer with 6 leafs. Existing ones on trailer have 5. How did you know how old springs were for 5k axle?
MrMeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #27
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeeks View Post
Just curious. Have same problem but can't convince any service advisor that leaf springs could be the issue. Already had one axle replaced 3 years ago. Trying again this week. I found leaf springs at e-trailer with 6 leafs. Existing ones on trailer have 5. How did you know how old springs were for 5k axle?
If you look at my post #7 above, it explains why the tires wear on the inside due to weak or under rated springs. I bought the 3,000 lb springs from Etrailer after I posed a question on their website. One of their technicians suggested the heavier springs. Number of leafs indicate the weight rating. 3,000 pound one had one extra leaf.

It definitely was NOT the axle. While I had the them off the ground with no load, they had a slight upward bow just like they're supposed to have.

On 2 occasions on prior trips, the factory original 2,500 pound springs actually broke close to the shackle. Each time we were able to get to a shop to replace the spring...had to go with 2,500 pound ones since all 4 needed to be the same. I now have 2 almost new springs in my "spare parts bin" since they were replaced during the upgrade.

Note that all 4 of my tires wore heavily on the inside edge. The left side was perfectly aligned, I only had to align the right side.

The heavier springs absolutely solved the inside edge wearing problem.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
If you look at my post #7 above, it explains why the tires wear on the inside due to weak or under rated springs. I bought the 3,000 lb springs from Etrailer after I posed a question on their website. One of their technicians suggested the heavier springs. Number of leafs indicate the weight rating. 3,000 pound one had one extra leaf.

It definitely was NOT the axle. While I had the them off the ground with no load, they had a slight upward bow just like they're supposed to have.

On 2 occasions on prior trips, the factory original 2,500 pound springs actually broke close to the shackle. Each time we were able to get to a shop to replace the spring...had to go with 2,500 pound ones since all 4 needed to be the same. I now have 2 almost new springs in my "spare parts bin" since they were replaced during the upgrade.

Note that all 4 of my tires wore heavily on the inside edge. The left side was perfectly aligned, I only had to align the right side.

The heavier springs absolutely solved the inside edge wearing problem.
I agree, although a friends brand new Montana fifth wheel with the 7K axles had terrible outside tire wear with very little miles. My advice to him was get it aligned, he did, and the alignment was bad from the factory. He replaced the worn tires with some new Sailuns and no further tire issues, this has been three years so far . It can be just alignment, but as you pointed out, it can be other issues .

If shackles , leafs etc are looking okay, alignment would be my first check.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I agree, although a friends brand new Montana fifth wheel with the 7K axles had terrible outside tire wear with very little miles. My advice to him was get it aligned, he did, and the alignment was bad from the factory. He replaced the worn tires with some new Sailuns and no further tire issues, this has been three years so far . It can be just alignment, but as you pointed out, it can be other issues .

If shackles , leafs etc are looking okay, alignment would be my first check.
I have read many threads on this forum stating that Keystone (and probably all trailer mfg) do not align as part of the manufacturing process.

If I were to buy a brand new rig, I would insist that the dealer align pre delivery. No alignment No purchase.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I have read many threads on this forum stating that Keystone (and probably all trailer mfg) do not align as part of the manufacturing process.

If I were to buy a brand new rig, I would insist that the dealer align pre delivery. No alignment No purchase.

I think you make a good point, I fabricated a set of braces, copied from the MorRyde X factor, although I didn't have any tire or axle issues at the time, along with the MorRyde wet bolt kit. 11years and not a problem with my suspension or tires.

I am on my third set of tires, got the OE's off after a couple years, went to the overrated G614's , only decent tire at the time, they aged out, now running the Sailun S637's, highly recommended .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote