Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Deposit put down on a High Country 343RL

We finally did it a couple of days ago. I put the deposit down on a new High Country 343RL. We like the 3400 a lot but I feel it’s a bit heavy for my 2500HD so we opted for the almost same floor plan that the 343 offers. We like the separate bathroom more and it would have been nice to be able to get a king bed but we can live with that. The rumor about Keystone doing away with the two tone cabinet’s was confirmed true so it’s nice to see Keystone listened to their customers. I’m still a bit apprehensive about the cable slides but then again problems can arise from any of the systems… Sometimes keeping it simple is best.

It was a tough decision going with a Montana or a Heartland but the clincher was the number of Montana’s we see on the road… They’re everywhere so they must be doing something right. We were also looking at another SOB with interest but were turned off by the forum for that brand. They seemed to be either complaining about the issues with the trailer where the manufacturer wasn’t satisfactorily working with them or some were “justifying” their purchase with statements like “I’m having lots of problems with my camper but I love it anyways.”

We requested delivery for June 1st after the snow melts and got it written into the deal if I’m not happy with the tires it comes in with they will switch them out for a small fee… I’m thinking Maxxis… Getting it with factory installed slide toppers as well… Another idea received from this forum….

I want to thank all of the people in this forum for your helpful ideas and experiences and I know I’ll soon have more questions that the search feature won’t answer.

BTW… Will you guys let a grey trailer into your circle at Quartzite in a couple years? We’d love to meet some of you.

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Tim & Nadine,
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to jump in anytime. Why don't you plan on coming to the Fall Rally? You'll meet a great group of people and learn a lot about your rig.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Welcome to the MOC and congratulations on your new Montana!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Congrats folks, great choice and welcome to the MOC family. Say have you folks ever been to the Bridgeview campground in Lethbridge. That's one of our favourites that we have found in Alberta so far, expensive but very, very nice. It is on our list this year if we do a road trip again the 1st of May. Enjoy that rig!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Great choice for a new 5er. By the way, isn't the actual name Montana High Country? I thought that was what it said on the side at the Tampa show and you should be very welcome at the rallies and at Q.
jmho
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I'm guessing the circle at Q would be more than happy to be multi-colored. There was a brown Big Sky this year, along with a black Montana prototype (DHenry's SOB)and a couple of others. Roll on in! Oh, and by the way, congratulations!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Congrats on your purchase. You will love the Montana High Country. We love ours! Sounds like you are taking some great advice from the MOC pros here. (wish I would have found this site first)!
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Where you live, it's a good move to reduce that rv weight I guess. Calgary is so close to the Rockies (and the best skiing we've ever done at Sunshine and Lake Louise resorts). I bet there's some beautiful parks to the west of you in those gorgeous mountains. We just recently bought a 3605 and i can only imagine with some concern pulling it through the Rockies to BC. We have rv'd from near Niagara falls to the south many times and have pulled large trailers through the mountains of Pennsylvania and Tennessee but that is small stuff compared to the mountains out west. Like one of the responders has done you still may want to gun up your pulling power with engine add ons like in and out air enlargements and perhaps a chip to reset your computer for different shift spots. You truly do live near the "High Country"
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Tim & Nadine,
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to jump in anytime. Why don't you plan on coming to the Fall Rally? You'll meet a great group of people and learn a lot about your rig.
We would like to come but we haven't joined the happily unemployed mode yet. I am still driving trains for another 2 years and the DW drives a school bus.

We would like to plan on a rally when the time comes and hopefully Quartzite too...
Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Congrats folks, great choice and welcome to the MOC family. Say have you folks ever been to the Bridgeview campground in Lethbridge. That's one of our favourites that we have found in Alberta so far, expensive but very, very nice. It is on our list this year if we do a road trip again the 1st of May. Enjoy that rig!!!
I've never stayed at Bridgeview because I grew up in Lethbridge where I met my DW when her father, now FIL, and I worked together driving Transit bus. We both moved onto other professions where I chose the Railroad life and haven't looked back.

Lethbridge is a nice city if you can overlook the windy conditions at times.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by artfuldodger

Where you live, it's a good move to reduce that rv weight I guess. Calgary is so close to the Rockies (and the best skiing we've ever done at Sunshine and Lake Louise resorts). I bet there's some beautiful parks to the west of you in those gorgeous mountains. We just recently bought a 3605 and i can only imagine with some concern pulling it through the Rockies to BC. We have rv'd from near Niagara falls to the south many times and have pulled large trailers through the mountains of Pennsylvania and Tennessee but that is small stuff compared to the mountains out west. Like one of the responders has done you still may want to gun up your pulling power with engine add ons like in and out air enlargements and perhaps a chip to reset your computer for different shift spots. You truly do live near the "High Country"
The mountain passes won't be a problem for miss Duramax's towing ability. I'm picking up the HC in BC so I can't wait to put my money where my mouth is....

We were looking at other Montys but I was concerned about the pin weight on the 2500HD. I think I would have been ok with a 3150 (which we like too) but I was having trouble sleeping at night with the weight of the 3400.

You're right about Sunshine and Lake Louise. I was through Lake Louise earlier today and commented to my Conductor about all the little dots coming down the mountain. The place was busy today.... lots of snow this year!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arcateq

Congrats on your purchase. You will love the Montana High Country. We love ours! Sounds like you are taking some great advice from the MOC pros here. (wish I would have found this site first)!
I gotta say.... I sure like the color of your 5er.... Matches your TV too...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Thank you for your warm welcomes. From the sounds of it we should be adding Quartzite on our bucket list.... A rally or two should added as well... And while I'm at it.... A NASCAR infield event already is on the list.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Tim, do you work for the CN? Just curious, I worked for the Grand Trunk RR that was taken over by the CN quite a few years ago. Then they bought the IC and all he** broke out. I believe if you work for the CN, and know Hunter Harrison you will know exactly what I am talking about lol. 42 yrs later and now fulltiming and retired.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #15
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Tim, do you work for the CN? Just curious, I worked for the Grand Trunk RR that was taken over by the CN quite a few years ago. Then they bought the IC and all he** broke out. I believe if you work for the CN, and know Hunter Harrison you will know exactly what I am talking about lol. 42 yrs later and now fulltiming and retired.

Dave
No I work for CP but I know all about Hunter and his ways. As you probably already know he retired with his show jumping horses to the relief of many employees. Unfortuneatly CP has hired a few of his cronies naming one Ed Harris who has brought some of CN's ways of doing business. I am not trying wish my life away but I'm sure looking forward to my date.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #16
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Thank you for your warm welcomes. From the sounds of it we should be adding Quartzite on our bucket list.... A rally or two should added as well... And while I'm at it.... A NASCAR infield event already is on the list.
Tim and Nadine, we started going to NASCAR races two years ago; have been fans for years. Indianapolis was our first and we would never go back there. Couldn't see very much. This last year, we went to New Hampshire and Michigan. Of the two, we liked New Hampshire the best. We were able to get dry camping quite surprisingly close to the track. The track is not very large so one is able to see it all. Very enjoyable races there. Michigan was ok but camping is farther away; not a big issue, we walk a lot. The track is bigger than NH. We were between turns three and four so had a good view of front and back tracks too. My husband took our older son to the Las Vegas races in 2006. Parking was horrendous (no RV then; they had a motel room in LV). Enjoy whatever race(s) you pick. NASCAR rocks!
PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackersBackers

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Tim and Nadine, we started going to NASCAR races two years ago; have been fans for years. Indianapolis was our first and we would never go back there. Couldn't see very much. This last year, we went to New Hampshire and Michigan. Of the two, we liked New Hampshire the best. We were able to get dry camping quite surprisingly close to the track. The track is not very large so one is able to see it all. Very enjoyable races there. Michigan was ok but camping is farther away; not a big issue, we walk a lot. The track is bigger than NH. We were between turns three and four so had a good view of front and back tracks too. My husband took our older son to the Las Vegas races in 2006. Parking was horrendous (no RV then; they had a motel room in LV). Enjoy whatever race(s) you pick. NASCAR rocks!
Funny thing we feel the exact way about Indy so we have no desire to go there. Can't see much with those grandstands facing each other. We've been to Daytona and lately we were at Atlanta this past Labor Day to watch Smoke (my fav) take the checkers... We spent the afternoon in the pits and walked around the infield where we met some of the folks who were camping there. They sure were enjoying themselves.... Some more than others...

I have a neighbor who has been to the first 5 races at Vegas where they said it was horrible trying to get out of the track... Bad enough if they go back they would watch the race from the hotel room.

Congrats for the win on Sunday. I was at work during the game so I didn't get to see it but I was hoping the Packers would take it.