Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
For Owners of the 3400RL

Guys and Gals,

We are in the process of buying the 3400RL. Hubby had a question for the salesman that he couldn't answer. We haven't seen the slides in yet so we are curious.

He carries a two story ladder with him when he travels. In our New Vision he has carried it in the living room between the slide and the refrigerator. Will there be enough room when the slides are both in for the ladder?

Our other option would be to put a rack on the back of the Monty to carry the ladder. Does anyone have something like this?

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:09 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
oops this should have been in General Discussion.

Sorry!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
You should have room between the 2 slides in the rear (dining rm & computer) to lay the ladder on it's side. If I remember you have 12-14 inches of spaces. I'm not sure how long of a space you have but would guess about 10-12 feet from the rear window to the counter edge.
Good luck.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We put our coffee table in the space between the entertainment center and sofa so you shouldn't have any trouble. Our LR area is a lot like yours. We do plan to carry our aluminum 7 foot (?) ladder on the Montana ladder now that Glen had a new bike rack on the receiver hitch of the truck and our bikes won't be there anymore. A very heavy ladder might put some stress on the Montana ladder but a lightweight one should do fine.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Britney, We store things behind the couch, which we moved to the rear of the trailer. We put the 2 recliners next to the dining room table. We also store things behind the recliners. If you measure the length at the rear of the trailer you will know for sure if you can store it back there. Kegger5769's idea is also a possibility. I would check both options out. But one word of caution is to always be very careful when putting the slides back out. Things move when traveling and can very easily be munched when putting those slides out. We always make sure everything is secure but also when we are putting the slides back out, we let that dining room slide out enough to get to the back and check everything before we finish putting them out. We absolutely love our 3400 and know you will to. Happy RVing....Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

oops this should have been in General Discussion.

Sorry!
Driftwoodgal, I wouldn't worry too much about having your posts moved... happens to me all the time (although, I'm not sure that anyone really wants to be compared to "yours truly"). I just flip a coin and then Lady RV, or another admin, sends me a note that it was moved to where it supposed to be. Then I say, "Oh, yeah..." and thank her for keeping me organized. You should see my desk.... Cheryl is not a happy camper.

That's what the Admins get the "Big Bucks" for...

Actually I do try to get it right. But, I am a guy...

Let me see... I believe we have a 37" and a 23" slide distance, extended on the 3400. The Montana is 96" outside to outside (8'). Those slides will come in that distance as they retract back flush. So, take off for the headers inside (2" each?), and you will have an interior of 4" less for the walls (2" each - not sure on the wall thickness w/ wall boards), that gives:

Interior space: 96" - 4" (walls) - 4" (inside headers) = 88" interior width with slides out
Slid-ins: 23" + 37" = 60"
Slide-ins in = 88" - 60" = 28"
(Maybe 26" if the wall thickness approaches 3" each side.

What did I miss...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
It sounds like he will be able to put the ladder, 12' long in between the slides. If this doesn't work he will have to come up with something where he puts part of the ladder on the island counter top and the rest of the end of it between the recliners. Oh I don't know, we will just have to figure it out once we have the Monty at our house.

The ladder is aluminum, but it still weighs alot since it is for a two story house, so I don't think the storing on the outside ladder would be save. If it won't fit in the Monty we might have to look at carrying it under the Monty.

When the ladder is on its sides it is only 6 inches wide with the foot part folded under the sides.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I dont know about the new 3400RL's but my 2004 3400RL you would not be able to put a large ladder inside. The sofa slide comes all the way against the island, there is no place for anything to be laying there. I would look into hanging it from the rear ladder.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:41 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Montana Sky,

I think the floor plans are the same. I am sure that he will figure something out, thanks for the post.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Ijust looked at my new 3400 and would not even try it if you did get in there it would surely rest against something such as the cabnets under the sink and rub a ugly spot it lol my wife would shoot me for that good luck I did look under the coach and you might get it fit fit there by the spare tire with little effort good luck finding the right spot
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Thanks for everyones information. We did have electricity to the Monty on our last visit so we could put the slides in. Hubby thinks that we can store it between the recliners and just remove one of the chairs at the free standing dining area. We will just have to wait and see once we get her home and put it in. The ladder isn't very wide when set on it's side, it is more the length. We may have to use some type of eggcrate etc. to pad the furniture if it to long. The other option might be from the bedroom down into the kitchen area. I will have to post when we get the Monty home.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We carry a ladder also, but it is one of those that folds up and it stores easily in the basement of our trailer. When it unfolds, it will extend out to 17 ft., plenty high enough to climb up on the roof of the trailer it needed too.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
cargary,

Thanks for the information on your ladder. Hubby has one that folds up in three parts to climb up on one story roofs and it is stored in his tool box in the truck. This is a two story ladder that he has to use when adjusting. I would love for him to leave it at home as it scares me to see him up on it, but he has been doing it for years and is like a monkey when he climbs roofs. Once he is in the local area he just staps it to his headache rack on the truck.

I will post if it works in between the slides once we have the Monty. That would be just in case some one carries a two story ladder with them