Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 49
M.O.C. #23051
How to install drip pan over bedroom slide?

I have added the drip pans over my kitchen and living room slides. It took about 10 minutes for both.

Has anyone added the drip pan over the bedroom slide and if so, how did you access it? I have about 2 1/2" between the ceiling and the slide trim and it's impossible to reach over and get to the screws?
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 331RL
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7 PSD
Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Creeker
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charleston
Posts: 130
M.O.C. #23094
I'm in the same boat. The only way I see is taking the trim off the top of the slide. It appears to be attached by about 6 to 8 brad/finish nails on each end. I've looked around with a flash light and mirror and see nothing in the center holding the trim in place. If you look close you can see the filler they used over the brads. (Through the front of the trim into the wood blocks behind at each end of the trim.)

I'm waiting for warmer weather but I will be tackling it asap.
__________________
2019 Montana HC 310RE
2010 Wildcat 29RLBS
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Vet4jdc
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 49
M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
I'm in the same boat. The only way I see is taking the trim off the top of the slide. It appears to be attached by about 6 to 8 brad/finish nails on each end. I've looked around with a flash light and mirror and see nothing in the center holding the trim in place. If you look close you can see the filler they used over the brads. (Through the front of the trim into the wood blocks behind at each end of the trim.)

I'm waiting for warmer weather but I will be tackling it asap.
I will look into removing the top trim too. I really don't want to go that route but may not have a choice?
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 331RL
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7 PSD
Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
Vet4jdc
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 49
M.O.C. #23051
Spent a little time looking at this yesterday. It does appear to have brads nailing the trim all the way across the bed. Removing the top trim might be more difficult than just getting the ends loose.
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 331RL
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7 PSD
Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper
 
Mosnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Little Slice of Heaven..Missouri
Posts: 69
M.O.C. #19731
Newbie here...a couple of silly questions.
What is a drip pan? What are the benefits of them?
__________________
2018 Montana 3721RL
2018 Ford F350 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice..Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
CarWin
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Thornville
Posts: 448
M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
Newbie here...a couple of silly questions.
What is a drip pan? What are the benefits of them?
The drip pans they speak of are for the High Country models that have electric slides. The motors leak oil onto the slide roof causing it to bubble and needing repair/replacement. They catch that dripping oil.

Its NOT an issue on the standard Montana line.
__________________
Darwin & Carla
2018.5 3701LK Montana
2019 3500HD Denali Dually Duramax
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
Creeker
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charleston
Posts: 130
M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
Spent a little time looking at this yesterday. It does appear to have brads nailing the trim all the way across the bed. Removing the top trim might be more difficult than just getting the ends loose.

Thats very possible. One would think they would have nailed it all the way across... Probably varies from one unit to the next and who had their hands on the nail gun that day.

I can actually slightly bow the center of the trim outward on ours but the ends are solid. If it is nailed across the center, its not many and certainly not like the ends. I'm pretty much set on removing ours regardless. Just waiting on much warmer weather. (Less chance of breaking or chunking the trim).
__________________
2019 Montana HC 310RE
2010 Wildcat 29RLBS
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master
 
twindman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mesa
Posts: 1,363
M.O.C. #5651
I removed the trim on my main livingroom slide a few years back (the roof was sagging downward). If memory is right, I just pried it off gently and when done replaced it and puttied the nail holes with matching color. Had no problems with it for the several years after that.
__________________

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Bigdog
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MECHANICSVILLE
Posts: 21
M.O.C. #18702
It does affect Montana's also as some of the slides are the cable type. I have a 2016 3950 BR and have had both of the cable system fail. To get to the motor/gearbox assembly remove the center trim section it has two screws.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
SterlingSilver
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kirtland
Posts: 10
M.O.C. #22445
Great topic. I just received my set of drip pans for my 2018 HC305RL from Keystone. The 2 main slides are easy but the the bedroom looks hard to get at w/o removing some trim. I am thinking of removing the middle section. I will make it removeable with screws or Velcro if I have to pull nails.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
LeonBlack
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ochelata
Posts: 10
M.O.C. #21807
I have a 381TH and all four slides have this issue. The roofs of all flour slides are ruined by this issue. The research that others have done shows this issue is caused by heat. That being the case the leak can occur when the slides are out or when they are in. This pools the oil/grease in two areas and effectively ruins the roofs.
It is interesting that a thread exists and it appears Keystone will send the drip pans to you so you can fix the problem yourself but will NOT step up to fix the problems on campers when the owners DID NOT KNOW such a problem existed..
LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
SterlingSilver
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kirtland
Posts: 10
M.O.C. #22445
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonBlack View Post
I have a 381TH and all four slides have this issue. The roofs of all flour slides are ruined by this issue. The research that others have done shows this issue is caused by heat. That being the case the leak can occur when the slides are out or when they are in. This pools the oil/grease in two areas and effectively ruins the roofs.
It is interesting that a thread exists and it appears Keystone will send the drip pans to you so you can fix the problem yourself but will NOT step up to fix the problems on campers when the owners DID NOT KNOW such a problem existed..
Keystone only sent me the drip pans because I refused to take the unit to a dealer for such a minor fix. I have been wiping the bottom of the gear cases from time to time so I have very little roof damage. There are no leaks and from outside you can't see anything that matters. IMO, more damage would be done trying to replace the roof when I would rather be camping.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #13
saber707
Seasoned Camper
 
saber707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cedar Park
Posts: 50
M.O.C. #17531
Have a 2015 305RL. Never had such a problem (yet).
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #14
Creeker
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charleston
Posts: 130
M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by saber707 View Post
Have a 2015 305RL. Never had such a problem (yet).

I don't think you will. It started with later year models and sadly still continues on the '19 models. I think it was '17 when it started. I'm still not sure if it was a different manufacturer, a design change or both. Its a shame Keystone would continue putting these out there after at least 1.5 years of knowing.

I've read of other Keystone brands/types having the same problem with the same cable driven slide design. Its not just a Montana issue.
__________________
2019 Montana HC 310RE
2010 Wildcat 29RLBS
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Islip Terrace
Posts: 190
M.O.C. #22165
On our 381 I replaced all 4 drip pans asap,the kitchen was easy, the others I was able to get using a couple of mirrors & assorted extensions, being in good shape also helps. I think it was easier than removing the trim, but it all depends on your skill set.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #16
mfrey3
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northampton
Posts: 1
M.O.C. #22590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSilver View Post
Great topic. I just received my set of drip pans for my 2018 HC305RL from Keystone. The 2 main slides are easy but the the bedroom looks hard to get at w/o removing some trim. I am thinking of removing the middle section. I will make it removeable with screws or Velcro if I have to pull nails.
Just curious as to how you got the drip pans from keystone?
mfrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #17
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Islip Terrace
Posts: 190
M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey3 View Post
Just curious as to how you got the drip pans from keystone?
I think I was one of the first ones to get them last year, I just called the manufacturer & they sent them right out. They didn't even ask about the camper or where I bought it, my guess its a cheap easy fix when the customer does it.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #18
Jim/Sandy
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Monterey
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #23278
Just checked my slide roofs and found 4 bubbles. Will order pans from Keystone. We have slide awnings which should minimize water intrusion. Bubbles don't seem to be broken. What's your opinion, should I cut them out and repair roof or leave them be ?
Jim/Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #19
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 1,509
M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Sandy View Post
Just checked my slide roofs and found 4 bubbles. Will order pans from Keystone. We have slide awnings which should minimize water intrusion. Bubbles don't seem to be broken. What's your opinion, should I cut them out and repair roof or leave them be ?
The roof membranes should be replaced under warranty
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #20
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Islip Terrace
Posts: 190
M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Sandy View Post
Just checked my slide roofs and found 4 bubbles. Will order pans from Keystone. We have slide awnings which should minimize water intrusion. Bubbles don't seem to be broken. What's your opinion, should I cut them out and repair roof or leave them be ?

I just read somewhere, maybe on the Montana fb site of a fix to remove them. It said to clean them up with alcohol & gently heat them with a heat gun to reactivate the adhesive & press them down till cool. I have a couple small bubbles & once it warms up I am going to try it.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.