Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
17 High Country

New owner, and new to the RV world ... Dealer training was lacking. 4 1/2 hours and they let me drive off with out the pigtail hooked up ... took it back the next week to get the punch list done. But not before an experienced RV owner noticed the one freezer door was missing the seal ...

What do I need to get to make the first trip positive? I noticed on this website, the fence post for Hose Storage. What is "IS" mentioned as very important? another experienced user said to put a cup of bleach in each Gray Tank with some water for storage of use - good idea?

Looks like there are a a ton of experienced users on this site. Looking forward to good feed back.

TX M HC

Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The basis of making the first trip positive is to get to know your rig. Read the owners manuals, find the galley tank drain (usually in front of the street side tires) and ask questions on the forum. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask(all of us were new once). As far as how and what, if anything, you use to treat your tanks you'll find about as many answers as folks respond. Most of us do use a tank treatment for the black tank. For six years I've used Happy Camper and liked it. Since I bought the new rig I've been impressed with something the dealer suggested, but not ready to recommend it yet. I had the fence post for hose storage on the old rig. The new one came with a Valterra hose holder screwed to the frame on the street side so I bought another and mounted it on the curb side. IS is independent suspension. Expensive. Frankly I had IS and disk brakes on the old rig, but based on how this one rides and stops I will wait before I spend all that money on this one. So far the difference hasn't been that noticeable. By the way, welcome to the Forum and may your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
peggy loos

M.O.C. #20037
New owners of 39ft montana high country, 2015. anyone got advise for us????Horrible training when we purchased, bought it used. Help please with ins and outs, going to take it out for the 2nd time.
peggy loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
DQ seems knowledgeable - i have a 305RL 2017 - training on the new was not impressive. UTube might be great for some things - it helped on leveling mine.

Tires - Breaks - spare fuses - might be good things to check.

On the first trip, what challenges were encountered?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I don't use the "fence post", I use large plastic storage boxes for everything. Sewer hoses and accessories in one, water and electrical in another. Also, your back bumper can be used for additional hose storage.

I also keep a box of disposable rubber gloves near the utility center, along with heavy duty paper towels.

I always use 12x12 wood pads under my jacks; (some parks require them) helps distribute the load, especially on dirt.

Rear view TV camera was one of the best investments I've made, TPMS next.

After getting my hands dirty from leaky dump valves, I bought a Valtera twist-on valve. This also allows me to run gray water into the black tank to help flush it out.

I use a cup of bleach, a 1/2 cup of Calgon and 1/2 cup of laundry detergent along with about a gallon of water to my black tank after dumping.

Lynx Levelers are handy for changing a flat tire, as is a long handle lug wrench.

Make sure you get a 50amp/30amp adapter.

Always have at least two 25 ft water hoses; some parks have the water tap far away.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Listen to DQ Dick. He's already made all the mistakes
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Pick a place close to home for the first trip just in case there are any major issues. Get familiar with all the critical items (tightening lugs/tire pressure, dumping, fridge, electric, cooking, safety items, etc) first and then a couple outings to see what you like/need for your style of camping before you worry about what to add and upgrade. One item to ensure you do is sanitize the fresh water system as most dealers don't do it. Search the site as there are many variants on how to do it and the manual describes it too. Another good tip before the first trip (and periodically too) is to go over the rig and check to ensure the various expose hardware is tight, trim pieces are tight, etc as these rigs get exposed to a lot of abuse going down the road. Best tip is to enjoy learning the rig, expect a few issues and as long as no major items pop up, it should be an enjoyable learning experience.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
It would be really nice if dealers would offer classes on how to park a large trailer or 5th wheel, instead it's OJT!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
It would be really nice if dealers would offer classes on how to park a large trailer or 5th wheel, instead it's OJT!
I went to an empty school parking lot near home on the way home from picking up my rig and spent 20-30 min trying different backing approaches just offer the feel of it before I tried parking it for real.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
List of things to do first:
1) Make sure tires are good ones. I guess Montanas come with Salun (sp?) tires, which are good. Search here if a different brand.
2) Get a TPMS. Could save thousands.
2b) Get surge protector. Again could save a lot of $
3) twist on sewer valve on end of drain. Save a mess if valves leak.
4) Check fender screws often and maybe put on the lock washers (I forget what they are called) on the back of them. Maybe these are called 'snap' washer - no that isn't right....
Good luck

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Camp out in your yard one night. Set up everything like you would at a campground. make a meal, use your appliances and I will bet there will items that you forgot to load into your rig. The next day pack up like your leaving the campground, hitch and all. Take your time and get a little routine down and you wont stress yourself out on the real camping trip. Have fun.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
One more thing I forgot to mention. There are a million gadgets out there and I love gadgets. Some are must haves and some are just really cool to have. Make a couple of trips, see what some of the other campers are using, make a list and knock them off a couple at a time. No rush no worries- My wife is never stuck for xmas and BD gift ideas.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Lots great input - Thank you all - just back yesterday from have the Dometic fridge cooling unit replaced, get to throw the cooler back in the basement. Bought the TPMS just need to install. Just installed the Extra gate valve on waste. Dealer also advised the Black and Gray tank labels were reversed ...

Any thoughts on "X" chocks
Old 07-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Any thoughts on "X" chocks[/QUOTE]

I have some and wouldn't buy them, again.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #16
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
X-Chocks help limit the movement of the rig when you're parked.
They are not intended to keep the rig from rolling down hill.
p.s. They self eject laterally if you forget to take them out
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
I have some and wouldn't buy them, again.[/QUOTE]

I have one on one side when I park (It came with 5ver) and it is GREAT you will really notice the difference.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfleck View Post
Camp out in your yard one night. Set up everything like you would at a campground. make a meal, use your appliances and I will bet there will items that you forgot to load into your rig. The next day pack up like your leaving the campground, hitch and all. Take your time and get a little routine down and you wont stress yourself out on the real camping trip. Have fun.
We camped in our yard for week. Meals, showers, everything. The nice thing about camping in your yard is that if you forgot something it was mighty close. It was fun too.
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #19
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
I have some and wouldn't buy them, again.[/QUOTE]

Was happy to get $10 for my two....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote