Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #41
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I think somevRam owners sleep with their truck. I had 1, that was enough.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #42
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have 3 great trucks to choose from. Why did this haft to resort to brand bashing?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #43
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We have 3 great trucks to choose from. Why did this haft to resort to brand bashing?
Lynwood
So true. And each one will do the job equally well. But the mine is better than yours thing continues to raise its ugly head for some reason.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #44
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
THERE IS NO "g"in Cummins Engines. There is a reason Ram has used Cummins Engines for what? Almost 30 years, they work. I will never own a GM product, and Ford is playing leap frog with Ram on power. The new 6.7 with the aisan (sp) is a bullet proof combo in a Ram.
So you caught a typo error!!!

It s your preference I work on all of them and my preference is the truck that delivers the power to the road in a way that it is usable.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #45
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have had a number of Chevy trucks. Last one a 3/4 duramax. When going to a 350 SRW my salesperson who I have bought 3 vehicles from could not find a Chevy that would came with what i wanted, anywhere. She has a sister dealership that handles Ford. I found one close enough. Told her about it. She never called me back. I now have the Ford. Things i like about the Ford that Chevy does not offer, yet. 48 gallon fuel tank in CCLWB. Camera system. Waiting to see what i end up for MPG after break in. Yes, mileage matters to some. Range is very important to me. Trying to find a gas station pulling a 35 foot TT with a gasser on a trip can be stressful.

Thing I don't like-- it is much taller than my 2014 3/4 chevy. Some would say my legs are too short.

But that 360 view camera systen does make the truck smaller when trying to park it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #46
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have had a number of Chevy trucks. Last one a 3/4 duramax. When going to a 350 SRW my salesperson who I have bought 3 vehicles from could not find a Chevy that would came with what i wanted, anywhere. She has a sister dealership that handles Ford. I found one close enough. Told her about it. She never called me back. I now have the Ford. Things i like about the Ford that Chevy does not offer, yet. 48 gallon fuel tank in CCLWB. Camera system. Waiting to see what i end up for MPG after break in. Yes, mileage matters to some. Range is very important to me. Trying to find a gas station pulling a 35 foot TT with a gasser on a trip can be stressful.

Thing I don't like-- it is much taller than my 2014 3/4 chevy. Some would say my legs are too short.

But that 360 view camera systen does make the truck smaller when trying to park it.
My neighbor, a GM salesman, says in 2019 GM will catch up to the 2017 Ford technology. My F350 saw mileage increase up to about 20,000 miles but that is a diesel. Range is more important to me when pulling than MPG so I had an aux tank put in. Sadly, finding one for a gasser is impossible and their MPG towing is not great. When pulling TTs long ago I filled at every Flying J I found ~ the RV lanes made things as easy as possible. Now I use truck lanes for diesel. I'm 5'11 and with my old hitch I used a step stool to work it. Now I use a short ladder as the 2nd step is required. Not sure if the new GM products are any lower, it seems they are all raising the bed. Not sure why as the running gear is no higher. Maybe a macho look for millennials?
Good luck with your new toy!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #47
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Had F350 2015 Ford with the 6.7 diesel and loved it. Now driving a 2017 platinum with the 6.7 and love it even more! Eventually we will be able put these trucks on remote and sit back and they will do the driving! LOL
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8e3k0 View Post
Had F350 2015 Ford with the 6.7 diesel and loved it. Now driving a 2017 platinum with the 6.7 and love it even more! Eventually we will be able put these trucks on remote and sit back and they will do the driving! LOL
Can’t wait till we can leave the driving to the truck, NOT. I’m sure it will be a lot safer, NOT. Why heck its been over 50 years since I put a scratch on a vehicle but I’m sure a self driving vehicle will do much better. I do think some of this stuff is good, automated breaking, rear view cameras, lane departure warnings all can be helpful.
It would be nice when, if I get old to get in the back seat and tell my truck to take me to Union Pass Wy and wake me up when we get there. It could drive 24 hours a day stop for fuel on its own and in about 2 days we would be there. Not holding my breath.
Lynwood
Old 01-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #49
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Can’t wait till we can leave the driving to the truck, NOT. I’m sure it will be a lot safer, NOT. Why heck its been over 50 years since I put a scratch on a vehicle but I’m sure a self driving vehicle will do much better. I do think some of this stuff is good, automated breaking, rear view cameras, lane departure warnings all can be helpful.
It would be nice when, if I get old to get in the back seat and tell my truck to take me to Union Pass Wy and wake me up when we get there. It could drive 24 hours a day stop for fuel on its own and in about 2 days we would be there. Not holding my breath.
Lynwood

I like that one Lynwood
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #50
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
I agree 100% preference is the deciding factor.The Ford or Duramax will stand up to the Cummins any day.I don’t believe any one of the three is superior to the other.
When you look at the rods and pistons next to each other it's clear which one is superior. I guess you have not heard of the 6.0 ford engine and the lawsuit between Ford and international..Gm does not have the same tow capacity. Who put an aluminum head diesel in the market? No thanks, I'll stay with my Cummins..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #51
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Sorry to burst your bubble but.

I have worked on the GM, Cat, Cummings, Mercedes and Isuzu diesel sense the early 70’s.

When compared to weight verses sizes and HP out put the Isuzu has always out classed the others and did not start using the glow plug until they turbo charged them and then like the Cummings the heater for start doesn’t operate until the temperature gets down where heat is needed. The difference is Cummings uses a heater grid in the intake instead of glow plugs.

I worked on all of them in equipment from excavators to automobiles I have even worked on the 2 stroke GM 4-53 diesel in pickup trucks back in the 90’s.

Phil P
So which brand uses Isuzu besides Isuzu itself?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #53
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
Here in the south if you take a look around the camp ground you will see Chevy/Gmc leading the pack. Ford second followed by dodge. But hey as long as you get there safely.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #54
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
GM sure seams to be having good luck with its aluminum heads. Maybe GM knows more about designing Diesel engines than I do.
Lynwood
Old 02-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #55
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
When you look at the rods and pistons next to each other it's clear which one is superior. I guess you have not heard of the 6.0 ford engine and the lawsuit between Ford and international..Gm does not have the same tow capacity. Who put an aluminum head diesel in the market? No thanks, I'll stay with my Cummins..
Well, since the Cummins is a 6.7 liter SIX cylinder, and the GM and Ford are 6.6.liter and 6.7 liter EIGHT cylinder engines, I would expect the pistons and cylinders to be bigger, since 6.7 divided by 6 is 1.12 liters per cylinder, whereas 6.7 divided by 8 is 0.84 liters per cylinder, so I would expect each piston and cylinder to be about 1/3 larger/stronger on the Cummins.

Rated towing capacity is based on much, much more than engine torque; about 26 pages of criteria per SAE J2807, including such things as parking brake holding power on a grade.

The Aluminum heads on the Duramax have caused zero durability issues, including on competition engines in the 1500 hp and greater range.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but first check your facts.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #56
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
GM sure seams to be having good luck with its aluminum heads. Maybe GM knows more about designing Diesel engines than I do.
Lynwood
It s an Isuze Japanese engine.. not the Generals..
Old 02-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #57
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Well, since the Cummins is a 6.7 liter SIX cylinder, and the GM and Ford are 6.6.liter and 6.7 liter EIGHT cylinder engines, I would expect the pistons and cylinders to be bigger, since 6.7 divided by 6 is 1.12 liters per cylinder, whereas 6.7 divided by 8 is 0.84 liters per cylinder, so I would expect each piston and cylinder to be about 1/3 larger/stronger on the Cummins.

Rated towing capacity is based on much, much more than engine torque; about 26 pages of criteria per SAE J2807, including such things as parking brake holding power on a grade.

The Aluminum heads on the Duramax have caused zero durability issues, including on competition engines in the 1500 hp and greater range.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but first check your facts.
Not just the Pisons.. but the Rods as well.. I have seen them side by side.. Personally I believe the 6 is much easier to service.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #58
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Isuzu was partly owned by GM when the Dmax was developed, I think 50%.
Lynwood
Old 02-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #59
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Dad Love his Duramax...23 mpg on the hiway...
none of my Cummins did this well..
Old 02-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We buy Fords because we live in Ford Country and if you have 20 friends 10 of them will have worked for or retired from Ford and get many PIN numbers to give out every year for Ford Discounts. We buy under the Ford Friends and family program which is a huge discount. If we lived in Chevy country or Dodge country we would be driving one of them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote