Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
BBQ Propane Connection Install

Here is my BBQ Propane install. Took the regulator off my Weber BBQ Q and added a quick disconnect. On the Big Sky, replaced the first 90 degree elbow after the RVs regulator with a T and then added the quick disconnect. I have a 15' hose with a quick disconnect on both ends. Here are some pictures: http://x.co/4B25v

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Nice. We'll be eating at your place.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Very good idea Joe. Now have to add that one to my list of things to do!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Nice mod Joe.
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks for showing that Joe, I am attempting to do the same thing. If you don't mind, where did you get the new connectors and if you happen to remember, what connections did you buy? I printed your picture to take with me so the hardware guy/gal can help me get the right ones. It looks like a male to male, a "T" and then the connection itself. Is that just a "regular" air type quick disconnect? What size pipe do we have on our trailers? Sorry, I know, lots of questions but I have never opened up the gas system on any of my trailers before and want to do it correctly. Thanks, Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Glenn,
Some RVs have different size propane lines so my fittings may be different. I started with a 1/4" Female NPT quick disconnect valve and then took off the last section of pipe leading to my regulator hose. Took all that to Lowes and dry fitted it together in the store. Use gas line not air type fittings. From the quick disconnect, I added 1" long 1/4" sleeve, then a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer, then a 3/8" T. Then a 2" long 3/8" sleeve to the elbow. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Joe, that does help. Safe travels my friend.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
How long a hose (to the grill) do you have and where did you get it?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Very nice....cooking with charcoal right now but may have to consider switching back.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
X2- added to our list... thanks Joe....
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
First off- sorry for the long post.
I have been wanting to do this for a while and after seeing Joe's post, I thought it was time so I could use the connection this camping season. I have always wanted the connection on the curb side near the basement door because that seemed like a logical place to have it (away fro the door/stairs and still "close to the action". Joe's post and additional info was helpful, but when I went out and looked at it, it looked a little difficult to figure out a way to break into the 5/8th black gas pipe (not really a "plumber type" and it was close to the trailer making it appear difficult to get a pipe wrench on the pipe to turn it and break the joints loose. I found another connection that looked promising behind the sewer boom. It is a brass connection coming off of the black pipe with two 3/8 connections for the furnace and water heater (at least I think that is what the two connections are). It was easy enough to get those two connections off and unscrew the brass connection out of the black pipe. I took that connection and the quick disconnect end off of the Weber-Q to both Home Depot and Lowes. I thought I could find some way of making that a three way connection (vice two) and then run some type of gas line to the other side of the trailer. Well, none of the "experts" were able to assist much at either place and I ended up taking my toys home and just putting things back together. I was able to find a way to make it a three way 3/8 connection, but was unable to find a way or material to route it over to the other side of the trailer. On top of that, I could not find a quick disconnect connection that I could plug the nipple into that I took off of the grill hose. Needless to say, a bit frusttrating. I have a plumber coming over to my house in the next week or so to add/install a gas connection for a new dual fuel oven/range we purchased for the house and I might just attempt to employ him to assist in my quest. -Glenn
Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
@Glenn. Sorry you are having so many problems. Your guy should be able to do the job for you. If you have a Camping World in your area, they will do it too.

@Dick. It is a 15' hose bought via Amazon. It is a Camco hose with a female on one end and a male on the other. The quick disconnect fit on the female end and then added female sleeve on the male end and then added the other quick disconnect.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Joe, just one of those things. -Glenn
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Glenn: Join us at the MOC rally in June at the 7 Feathers RV Resort and I can guarantee you will have a quick disconnect setup before you leave. Many of us who will be there have done it numerous times.

My local RV parts place has all the brass fittings including the quick disconnect with a shutoff. And they make hoses to what ever length you want. Even CW has quick disconnects (usually) and brass fittings. The pieces parts shouldn't be that hard to find.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Carl, I will see if we might be able to schedule that. Very much appreciate the invite and offer of assistance! I did not think it would be that hard to find the stuff and Home Depot and/or Lowes, but when I mentioned it was for a fifth wheel they looked at me like I had a second head on my shoulders. -Glenn