Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Upper Peninsula Recomendations??

We're going to the U.P. for two weeks beginning Labor Day. We'll be doing the bridge walk and staying at Brimley SP that weekend. I know the U.P. pretty well; but haven't camped with anything as big as our 3400RL before. Any suggestions on someplace with sites big enough would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Hello Gordon,
we will also be touring the U.P. this September. We leave the Friday after Labor Day, for two weeks. Maybe we'll see you on the road.
You didnt say what part of the U.P. or if you boondock at all. But here are a few of our favorite campgrounds that will fit large units.
Big Ericks Bridge State forest campground ($10.00 a nite)is located 15 miles north of L'Anse. this is a pretty quiet campground. it doesnt have any dump station or hookups. i does have nice deep sites.
Black River Harbor campground ($12.00 a nite) is a national forest campground. it is located 15 miles north of Bessemer, Mi. it is a nice quiet campground. it has a dump station and nice deep sites.
another of our favorites is Ontonagon township campground($10.00 a nite). it is located in Ontonagon, Mi. this one is located on the shore of Lake Superior. this is a town campground. it has water and electric hookups. they will pump out your tanks if needed. they dont have a dump station.
one that we like more toward the "Big Mack" bridge is Hog Island state forest campground ($10.00 a nite). it is located on US2 7 miles East of Naubinway. these sites are a little smaler. i have seen some larger units in there but havent tried it since we got our Mountaineer. i had stayed there in a 30ft cougar. again this is a rustic campground. no hookups and no dump station.
if you have any others you know of that i havent mentioned, please list them as i am always looking for places to go.
hope my list will help out.
Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:59 AM   #3
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Merv -
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we do boondock. Usually for three to five days then a state park or commercial cg to recharge the batteries, dump the tanks and shop. The state forest campgrounds are great. Last year we spent nearly a week at Cusino Lake SF campground a few miles east of Melstrand - which is a few miles east of Munising. (About 15 miles of unpaved road to get there.) We were the only people on the lake for five days. However, we were in a pop-up. Size is going to be a definite issue this time. Plans include either the Keewenaw or Lake Gogebic this year, but nothing is cast in stone yet. Our only reservations so far are at Brimley for Labor Day.

I'd prefer to go north in late September. However, we always do the bridge walk and it's a two day drive from here. I'd rather be camping than driving, so we'll just stay up there. We'll be coming home through Wisconsin this year. We want to visit a friend who lives on the west side of Madison. If you have any recommendation for an overnighter there, I'd appreciate that as well. Otherwise, we'll be depending on the TL directory.

Thanks for the recommendations above. We'll be checking them on the map and planning.

Gordon
Old 08-02-2004, 04:29 AM   #4
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
There is a very nice campground called River Park. Full Hookups for $25.00 a night, $390.00 a month. All paved and level. It is in Menominee, MI. near the border with Wisconsin. When we get our Monty next year, that is where we are going to stay till the house sells. Then FULLTIME!!! Forgot to mention it will take any size RV.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Folks,
Thanks for this topic. When we head back to the Rally we plan to travel up into that part of the world. So it's nice to learn the lay of the land.... so to speak. We hear that it is very pretty in that part of the states. Thanks.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:54 PM   #6
Montana_254
Established Member

M.O.C. #254
There are some very nice campgrounds in our area,we live in, Marquette county, right in the center of the UP. Michigamme Shores campground is located on beautiful Lake Michigamme, they have full hookups and it is a very clean well run park. There is also a State Park-Van Riper, which is okay. In Baraga, there is another State Park-Baraga, which is really nice, and very clean. Hope this may help.
Montana_254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Hello again Gordon,
if your coming down through Wisconsin, there are some nice campgrounds around the northern portion. i would guess you will probably come down hwy 45. there is Lac View Desert national forest campground near Land-O-Lakes. it is very nice and you should have no problem fitting.there are many other choices around here but too many to list.
if you would like you can email me and Ill give you more info.
as for down near Madison, i cant help much. we dont usually go that camping down that way. i know Wisconsin Dells has a few campgrounds and there are some private campgrounds near madison. Governor Dodge State park is nice, but it is a little west of Madison, in Dodgeville.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Thanks to all. This is great information. Here are a couple specific comments:

Gene – Thanks for the tip on River Park. Depending on where we end up, that may well be the last night “up north”. It looks like a day’s ride to Madison from there and our return to friends and family.

HamRad – we’ll be a couple weeks in front of you and will post a synopsis of the trip and campgrounds as soon as we get back. I’m jealous that you’ll be there when the leaves start to turn.

Jim & Cindy –I’m not sure of our itinerary for about nine days after Labor Day, but Michigamme Shores Does look good. Michigamme and Lake Gogebic are both on our “we’d like to do” list. If it firms up, I’ll send you a note and maybe we can get together and compare Montana stories. (or Yooper stories)

Merv – I’ll probably drop you a note in a few days, once we have our basic itinerary worked out.

We’re getting a two day shakedown this weekend, then it looks like we’re home until Sept. 2. Then we’ll break the Monty in right and enjoy some pasties and a few beers in the process. Thanks everyone. You’ve helped a lot.

Gordon
Old 08-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
Ironman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1703
Send a message via AIM to Ironman Send a message via Yahoo to Ironman
I would recommend a campground at Ste. Sault Marie, Michigan. It is the Soo Locks Campground. Very nice and right on the St. Mary's River so you can watch all the freighter traffic. We were just up there the end of July. All campsites are built such that you can see the river no matter where you are parked.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote