Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
thanks for the inf.
how did your 2500 hd trk react when you were hit from the side with a strong gush of wind? traveling on the east coast isn't a concerned with the high wind but once you are in the flat area of the west things change.
thanks

paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Paddler, I've always towed with single rear wheel trucks, from the early days with an F150 (smaller trailer) to an F250, and F350 single rear wheel, and this Dodge 3500 single rear wheel. From my experience, the side wind has never been a problem.

I would think the dually would move a little bit less because of more rubber on the ground. But I've never had an uncomfortable moment because of sidewinds, even when a passing semi subjects me to sudden wind shifts. That's not to say it doesn't move at all but I think that's true of all vehicles in that situation. But it's never been a problem. Understand there is a point at which the wind is so strong I'm pulling off the road no matter what I'm towing with.

Others may have a different experience and I hope they will jump in and say so if that's the case. My experience covers 16 years of towing including somewhere around 175k to 200k miles. Next month we complete eight years of fulltiming. There are numerous folks here with more experience than I. So I hope some of them will speak up, too, as well as anyone with input to your question.

I'm not sure this next point speaks to your wind question but I do think it speaks to stability. In the past couple of years or so I know of two Montana owners who laid their Montanas on their side while towing. While both Montanas went over on their sides, NEITHER of the trucks went over. One was a dually, the other a single rear wheel. I would have guessed the SRW might go over but it didn't. The one with the dually went over because of wind and the one towed by the SRW went over on ice. I won't give their names here but we have met both and had dinner at the home of one of them. The other we met at a couple of rallies.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
thanks for the good inf. the side wind has been a concern for me. we saw 2 travel trailers on their sides in Wy. on I-25 and 2 travel trailers on their sides at wreck house in newfoundland. none of the trailers were being towed by a truck.
gene
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #24
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Semi's get blown over and they are dualies. Even here in Ind. on I-65 south of Indy.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
paddler67...sent you a PM.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote