Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
gtg935w

M.O.C. #9688
Pulling a Montana with a Gooseneck Adapter

Just bought a 2006 Dodge 3500 to tow my Montana and it already has the gooseneck hitch installed in the bed. I was curious if anyone had any experience towing their trailer using one of the gooseneck adapters. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

gtg935w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You can do a search and find it discussed.
One of the comments I remember is the concern of voiding MONTANA warranty. I believe there is a major concern of the additional torque being put on the nose section of the MONTY.

There has been many post on frame flex in the nose area.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Look at the hitch on a gooseneck trailer. It is considerably more beefy than a fifth wheel. As John Kohl said, there is a great deal more strain put on the trailer. My pick-up came with a gooseneck hitch in the bed and I thought of using it until I did the research.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
This has been discussed frequently and has often been stated that some manufacturers will void the warranty if one is used. It certainly does introduce a different set of stresses on the frame members. By adding a lever (the gooseneck extension) you are putting additional rotational forces (torque) to those members.
Now having said that, there are many who do use them, seemingly with no problem.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
But there are enough who have done this who have had problems. Just because you aren't have a problem doesn't mean you won't unless the proper research is done. Most 5er RVs recommend NOT to use them, but the ultimate choice will be yours.

I would recommend researching the success stories and why they are successful. It might be more than just slapping to goose neck on there. It could be the type of goose neck, maybe includes some work on the 5er, etc. If you are willing to spend the time and money you could very well be one of the success stories.

You might also consider have the the best of both worlds by investing on something like a B&W companion hitch that support a fifth wheel hitch AND a ball. In this case this option still allows you to remove everything and keep the bed flat and not worry about those infernal bed rails (can you tell I have over the bed rails, ugh).

Best of luck with your decision.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
This is an excellent forum. However, the only way to know the answer to your question for sure is to call Montana/Keystone/Lippert and let the experts (that support your warranty) give you the totally correct information.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we had our front end beefed up to get rid of the frame flex, I asked Truck Builders owner about gooseneck hitches. He told me that the front end of the Montana would have to have additional bracing than what they normally do just to remove the frame flexing. They aren't designed for gooseneck hitches.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Trailer Life did a feature on Gooseneck converters a few months ago.
All the manufacturer/advertisers were featured of course. No problems noted.
I faced the same problem as my used Dodge had a very robustly installed rotating Ball in the bed.

I've used a Star Performance Gooseneck Adapter hitch for over 3000 miles towing my 13K Lbs Montana without problem. This Adapter has a built in gliding motion and perhaps is better than any advertised in Trailer Life...
http://www.sphitch.com

If this product interests you, email or PM me for more specifics.

Also, consider visiting the Fifth Wheel Forum on RV.net. Currently there are two recent threads about Gooseneck use - one on the second page and a longer more informative one a few pages back, plus a search will find many similar threads over time.

Apparently, Goosenecks do not put enough additional real world stress to cause any more significant failure rate than the many postings here and elsewhere about frame or pinbox failure, flexing, etc using the standard Fifth Wheel hitch. One opinion is the extension of the Pinbox is more of an issue than whatever is between the kingpin and the truck axle...

One significant benefit of a Gooseneck Adapter is the gentle hookup via raising or lowering the trailer onto the ball versus "ramming" a hitch onto the kingpin and assuming you successfully lower the trailer hitch onto the ball, its not going to fall off and land on the truck as apparently happens all too often with normal Fifth Wheel hookups.

I'm a satisfied user.

Good Luck!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
One sentence..B&W Converter Hitch
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
If you use the gooseneck hitch does that make you a snow-goose instead of a snow-bird? lol
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Doesn't use of the B&W Converter require their "proprietary" Turnover Ball that is removable?
Versus the cheaper "rotating balls" that several manufacturers make and are probably most commonly installed?
The ball in my used truck is from Buyers Corp, it tips up and down and uses a hinged steel plate to either hide/cover the ball when retracted or hold it upright for use. In this case, the B&W Fifth Wheel hitch is not compatible.
Hopefully, the Gooseneck Converter I have, which was slightly less expensive than any quality Fifth Wheel Hitch alone (and did not entail any installation expense) will continue to serve well/successfully, as it has so far.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote