Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The Pertified Forest National Park adventure

All in a days work for full timers: Hikes, seeing the Painted Desert, viewing Pueblo ruins from long ago, exploring the petrified forest. These are the sites that make touring the USA such a great adventure.

Ninety pictures to sort, crop, enhance and annotate for my grand children's home schooling. Nothing like adding to their classes in geography, history, and science studies with current blogs, pictures and travel logs.

A day or two at Holbrook, AZ on old Route 66 is well worth the time. We are staying in a strange little RV park right off I 40. It's name is "Root 66 RV Park". Check out their spelling. It has zero amenities. Two TV stations, both in Spanish only. The Verizon aircard works about half the time and the campground wifi hot spot is as cold as ice. The gender neutral and only restroom has been out-of-order since we got here. Sometimes Passport America needs to be more selective.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Meteor Crater campground might have been a better choice for a Passport America campground. If you haven't yet check out Walnut Creek Canyon. Very impressive. Not too far from where you are. We loved the Petrified Forest.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We spent the night there a back in 2006. Not much to it but was ok since we were just passing thru and it was quick easy access to PF/PD.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I remember on our family's first cross country trip when I was six being very excited and intrigued with the idea of a petrified forest. I my mind's eye the forest was upright trees "made" of stone as far as the eye could see. While that isn't what it turned out to be it was still quite impressive. I am looking forward to traveling across the country again when we retire (I want to do it "right" and be able to take our time with no deadlines of having to get back to work.) and revisiting all those neat places I saw on that trip (as well as others)!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Sounds like you are having a grand time. We stayed there in Dec - had to fill the tank as they were turning off the water since they were expecting a freeze. Enjoyed our visit with you all.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote