Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Traveling with "puppy"

Soon we will start traveling again and I have one heck of a problem. Well, we're use to it, but anyone camping next to us won't be happy Our little 9 pound puppy hasn't got the message that humans like to sleep passed 3:30 AM. Every morning the howling and yapping starts.
Can anyone out there help with suggestions? He's a cute little guy so you can't get mad at him. We don't want to be thrown out of a campground

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Petsafe makes a nonshock bark collar. Might check them out. It sprays citronella when they bark. Works well if you remember to keep it full.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Have you tried having him sleep in the dog carrier? You can but a sheet over is so he can't see out, this worked for me years ago with a barking doberman.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"He's a cute little guy so you can't get mad at him " Don't Think The folks next to you would think that was very cute.... Many C.G's have a "pet" area..that helps a bit.Most C.G's ask you if you have a pet and will usually direct you to an area were there are a lot of pets and folks are more tolerant of noisy pets. Chances are you will get thrown out or moved if you have a pet that annoys others around you. We travel with a large white , can be very loud Parrot that strangely enough C.G's don't consider a "pet". It is not however as annoying as a barking dog , does not make noise constantly and can't be heard a few steps away from the camper. We had a rather large dog for 15 years and was never a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I'm hoping he will outgrow this in the next couple of months. He's only 5 months old. Just wondering if other people traveled with puppies.

Carol
Old 02-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Have had dogs and cats all my life. I think puppies are the cutest, however, I'm not sure I would want one to travel with, too much training involved, messes and the proverbial "Chewing on everything". My last new dog was 6 months old when we got him and already house trained. A golden that was still full of piss and vinegar. ALWAYS made sure we had chew bones for him and it saved our furniture, well, most of it......JMHO...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Crate train that critter early and use the sheet that Doug and Sharon suggested. Do that at home before you get on the road so he is comfortable with it. We always make sure there is a treat in the crate as well as a favorite toy. The crate should be a comfort zone and never any kind of punishment. Remember, dogs were originally cave animals so covered crates are sort of natural. Once crate trained, the dog can be left in the crate (with food and water) while you are out and about and there will be no damage when you get back. We camp with two dogs that started out little and this works for us.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
flyerone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5263
We crate trained our golden, now we can leave the trailer and all she does is hop on the bed and sleep. She has never caused any damage to our trailer. When it's snowing outside she stays in the house all day, up to 10 hours until I get home from work, no messes, no damage.
flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Crates are a must for training and traveling. Keep your dog safe! Use a crate. I have spoken a number of times about this before, and just about everyone knows how passionate I am about this. There is no bargining on this issue in our household.

As far as the barking/whining/crying at night, be sure baby has had his potty breaks, water and is not hungry in the middle of the night. There are a number of tricks, including the radio and/or clock that has a loud ticking sound, that may or may not work, but everything is worth a try.

When all else fails, you may do what we did, give in and take baby to bed with you, where you get great snuggles and kisses from baby and hopefully some quiet and sleep for all.

I have traveled with little ones, not gonna sit home till he or she is all grown up.

Protect your baby, CRATES RULE. (In a moving vehicle the crate must be bolted to the floor or seatbelted in.)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Thanks Carol, was kinda waiting for your reply. You travel with little dogs and know the "tricks." He is in a crate, but I think it's too big. It was the german shepards. Going to move him tonight into a smaller one. He does quite well if I leave the TV on. He's addicted to Home Shopping. .
We haven't had a puppy in 12 years so it's a learning experience all over again.

Carol
Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
DUCT TAPE !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Oh Van Man! - Dave and Victoria hit the nail on the head - they are natural in the cozy burrow type (crate with a cover). Yes, our spoiled bichon is now my cuddle buddy in bed but a least she keeps my legs warm.
You know one thing we have found effective in controlling the barking issue has been a squirt gun (water gun). When Cuddles gets a little to barky - one shot of the squirt gun and she is done - except when the cat doesn't run and still looks in the back door, then I get involved with the cat and do some barking of my own.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
This is our daughter, Kristen, and her "pet".

http://www.nbc5i.com/spotlight/11094...l.html?taf=dfw

Be sure to launch the video.

Hopefully, everyone knows I was joking about the duct tape, right??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We took a quick trip to Virginia and did the motel thing with the two dogs. Give me camping any time. The dogs did great. Even the puppy. He slept like a baby. We didn't but we did. The shepard hated every minute he was in the motel. Looking for "space" to move.
Can't wait till Spring when we can "travel" with the Montana. Lots of room to move around in. Cheaper too

Carol
Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Carol, Put an old "smells like you" sweatshirt or tshirt in the crate. Use the citronella collar, they work great! Don't give up!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote