Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Montana_5228

M.O.C. #5228
Bird Brain

As we start our new adventure of travel, we wonder how other folks travel with thier bird. We have a Jardine parrot (small size) that is part of the family and wants to join in the fun. We are choosing a Monty with an area for a cage when we are parked, but its the road travel we are concerned with. Any ideas will be welcomed.

Montana_5228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
alremc,
Welcome to the forum, I think you made a fine choice in a 5th wheel. We really enjoy our rig.

When I was A child my Father had an Amazon parrot and that bird could really get rowdy. I can't imagine traveling with a bird like that.

I would have to say for myself that I would rather the bird be stressed out riding in the coach than for me to be stressed out by him riding in the truck. A small bird may be different. I am sure that others do travel with birds and they should be along to share their thoughts.

Again welcome and enjoy your travels.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have a Mexican Double Yellow Head and he travels great. He sings and watches out the window. He is great to travel with. We started him out when he was about 4 months old though, so that might make a difference. You won't know till you try, right?
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Talk to Rich... he'll some interesting comments, I'm sure...

*On Edit~ Although, I don't think Rich is that worried about stressing out his bird. Apparently, the bird always seems to trying to stress out Rich. And welcome to the forum, Alremc!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
I can not wait to see what Rich is going to say about this subject....Too bad I can not see his face when he types the answer..This might be really good...
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:20 AM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have traveled with our cockatoo and always have him in the truck with us. We carry a small spray bottle of water and if he gets too rowdy one squirt usually cuts the noise short. We have a bright pink bottle and after several trips he even recognizes the bottle when we pick it up and point it at his cage....no water squirt necessary! LOL
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There are several members who travel with birds, some happily and at least one unhappily. Parrothead should be able to comment on this topic. I don't think your bird will interrupt your travels at all. Welcome to the forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will try to be nice..We have a cockatoo by the name of dusty otherwise known to me as 'the stupid bird" We have had the bird since it was hatched and it bonded to Helen, sees me as competition and will attack (me ) to protect her.It is fine and lovable with everyone else and loves kids.We have the same pink water bottle as Joyce and it works ..anything pink will shut it up.We are ordering a 3400RL and deleted one Recliner and the table and lamp.The Bird cage will go in that corner. I will find a way to attach it to the floor. We use a smaller travel cage for travel in the truck that is why we have Crew Cab.The cage had to fit in the back. THEY CAN BE VERY LOUD..VERY LOUD.ear plugs are a necessary item.They are IMHO great traveling companions and less trouble than other pets.

Helen here (Rich's wife). What he said... about Dusty... right on. There is one caution, however... some states are very funny about bringing a bird across the border. While there aren't usually any border check points, they do have a good reason. Some states are "quarantine" states because of bird diseases and do not permit birds in or out of the state. ALWAYS have a current health certificate. Should anyone pitch a fit about the noise, animal control can come to your door and confiscate the bird if it doesn't have a health certificate from your vet. Also, do some advance research for a avian vet in the area where you will be staying. Regular vets can do some things but avian vets are more useful. Any other thoughts?
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I think Dusty sounds like one neat little character and it brings a smile to my face to think about Dusty planning revenge on Rich. Kinda like Stewie on Family Guy trying to get his Mom.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:25 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wow! That was an excellent post, Helen! Thanks. Look forward to seeing you and Rich in Toledo.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
Montana_4423
Established Member

M.O.C. #4423
We travel with our 4 year old cockatiel "Buddy" full time since May 2005. His cage is on the back seat of our extended cab 2005 silverado duramax and we let him out as soon as we get on the road. He usually sits on my shoulder or Suzanne's knee. A handful of seed on the blanket on the console keeps him busy and satisfied. We chose the 3295 RK in part because of the space in the rear for cage and playground. He's been wonderful, thriving even while camped at 9500 ft for 5 weeks this summer at Maroon Bells outside of Aspen as we camphosted. Currently in Silver City NM as we cross to Florida. Good traveling to all.
Montana_4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We met a couple parked next to us in a park in AZ.
They had a bird. He talked a lot. She said everytime they would start to move on he would say, "On the road again!" He was so cute and funny!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote