Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Montana_3014

M.O.C. #3014
New Members need help

We have been looking at the new Montana model 2950RK, haven't purchased yet, but we really like the trailer!
Was wondering what comments any of you might have on this model (it's a 2005 model) and what options are "musts".
We can't think of a better group of people to ask than those of you who own the Montana's.
Just as a matter of information, we now have a 2003 Alumascape, 32' model. Even though it has been a fine trailer we still want rear kitchen and the "neo-angle" shower.
Besides, my co-pilot, wife, cook, backerupper guide, says the Montana is "cute". What else could you ask for?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Fred/Bonnie and Minnie Mo the American Eskimo.

Montana_3014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
fstfrdy,

Welcome aboard. I bet you get lots of comments on this one. I know when we upgrade we will want the double pane windows and the best insulation package. Keeping out the cold or heat is a concern.

I know I am looking at the hydraulic disk brakes, however, I am not sure they are available on the Montana's yet. Trailer Life had a nice write up on them in this Feb 05 issue.

I like the automatic fantastic fan with rain sensor. Ann does not like the fan noise (racket maker she calls it) but it does not bother me and helps circulate the air and has a temp control on it.

We would probably get the electric fire place again. It does help take the chill off on the spring and fall days and of course looks and works great. You do lose some storage space but If I filled all the space we currently have I would be way over the max weight of our 3295.

There have been many comments on the surround sound system so make your call there. I would definitely want mine wired for it but might upgrade the unit or put in my own afterwords. That will be a last minute dealer purchase call.

Accessories by dealer or your self is the Max air vent covers.

This is just a few thoughts I know others will help build the list.
Definitely look up the predelivery check list on this forum it will be of great help when you receive it. You might give your dealer a heads up that your going to use it so he knows what to expect and may do a closer predelivery check before you come on board.

Good luck
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Welcome fstfrdy,
Slide out covers - everyone who has them says they are glad they do, everyone who does'nt have them wishes they did. Keep leaves and twigs off the tops of extended slides so you don't have to get up there and sweep them off before retracting slides.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
I think of all the options we have on our RK the one I couldn't live without and would definitely have on our next unit is the central vacumn system. I agree with palebluedot re the slide covers. These are two things we added to our unit after delivery. The next thing we would like to add are the fantastic fans John mentioned. We too would like to see Montana add the disc brakes at least as an option. We have been very happy with our unit and had only minor problems which were wuickley handled by our dealer and Keystone. I know you will be happy with you choice of a Montana. Enjoy!! Welcome to the MOC forum.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
fstfrdy we'd like to welcome you to the Montana Owner's Club.

The options we really like and would get again are the Dual Paned Windows, the Two Fantastic Fans, the Fireplace, the Extra Large 10 cubic foot Fridge and Slide Toppers.

Like JoyceH we added a Central Vacuum and would order that factory installed on another unit I think. Although I really like our Dirt Devil's main unit being in the basement.

I also love the rear kitchen models and think the 2950RK is a really terrific layout. I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Fstfrdy -

I agree that with the other items already mentioned. With the exception of the double pane windows, we have them all (central vac, fireplace, fantastic vent with sensor, slide toppers). If doing it over, might consider having them replace the remote thermostat with a digital wall mount. Also, would want an outlet in the basement. If you camp where you get free electricity, having wiring so you can use an electric heater and also the dual water heater (gas/electric) would be a plus. 50 amp service if you will ever add a second A/C or washer/dryer.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Having had other units, we like the 50 amp even if you don't add the second AC or washer dryer. It is just nice not to have to worry about blowing something all the time.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome aboard the MOC. Second air conditioner, washer and dryer stacked units, 10 gallon waterheater, and Fantastic fan are all things I want on the unit. C
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:49 AM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome Fred & Bonnie, What ever unit you choose will be a great one. Take your time and think of what you may want.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the Forum. Can't help you too much with what options to order - our Montana was "previously enjoyed" and appears to have most of the options/upgrades available at the time (2000). In our short experience with our unit, we've found we really like the Fantastic Vents, slide toppers and 10 gal water heater. The more we become familiar with our unit, we'll learn what's what. Just over a month and we'll be headed south on our first trip of the season!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:30 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK here's my 2 cents worth...

What we would add to our next Montana..
10 gallon hot water heater
Slide Toppers
2nd Fantastic vent in bedroom
110V and 12V outlets inside all basement doors

Things we don't want...
Washer/Dryer, can use the space for other stuff
Dual Pane windows, I understand you cannot get awning type windows with the Dual Pane. The sliding windows are a pain in the butt when it rains where we can leave the awning windows open.
Central Vac, Surprisingly Lorraine does not want this item.

I believe all new models are now coming thru with 50 AMP which I feel it should have remained an option. I don't want it and I don't need it. Too many campgrounds charge extra for 50 AMP. Don't want to pay for something I have no need for and will not be using.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:14 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
"Backerupper Guide?" LOL, I like that! Welcome aboard Fred and Bonnie. Congratulations on your decision to get a Montana. We all think that's a wise decision.

Much of what I would recommend is already listed above. In fact, I think all of them are. Unlike Glenn, though, we wouldn't be without our washer and dryer. So this really comes down to your personal preference. Plus, if you're not fulltiming or planning to be, it's a moot point anyhow.

Welcome aboard. Please keep us informed as you progress towards your purchase.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #13
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Welcome to the forum. No matter what you get you will enjoy it. I don't know what is standard or optional on the new models. Our was on the lot but it had the going to Montana package and value package and a few others. It doesn't have the fireplace. Don't know if I would want one or not. Really like the extra storage that it gives us. But like some one said it gives you more weight. Go over what everyone tells you and see what kind of a deal the dealer will give you
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #14
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
you may have already heard enough - but we have a RK-different model (3295) and we have all the bells and whisltes that have been describedin prior posts - our Fantastic Fan is very quiet - hmmmmm.....we also believe in slide covers, best insulation package, and the loss of storage from the fireplace is minimal (speaking as the key packer here); the warmth on a night when the weather is inclement and you just want something special makes it all worthwhile in our book.

Good luck on your choice - as you can see by the many replies, we are all believers regardless of the choices we made or missed in our units.

Evy & Mike in Central Oregon
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
fstfrdy-
I just got into this forum stuff a couple of days ago myself. We have a 3295RK Montana ordered and it will be in the first week of March. The only thing I can contribute is what I opted for. New in the 2005' is a king size bed. Don't know all the models it is available in but saw one in a 2955RL. Don't think this should be a problem with the model since they relocated the washer/dryer to the forward closet area on the door side of the trailer. One dealer I talked to did not even know it was available when I was shopping. We sprang for all the bells and whistles we could. We had a 28' Cardinal and enjoyed it but just wanted more room.

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, when you get your '05, or elorlob, if yours is an '05, would one of you tell us where the water pump is located in the '05 3295RK? In the 3295's prior to 2005 models it was in the lower compartment of the curio cabinet, which was located behind where the easy chair is located, directly across from the entry door. But that curio cabinet was eliminated for the 2005 model. So now I'm wondering where the water pump is. Would appreciate if one of you could tell me when you get the chance to look.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #17
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
Fred/Bonnie and Minnie Mo the American Eskimo.

That is one I have on my wish list...thanks for asking about it

AND OF COURSE Thank you ALL for your comments.

Carolyn
Mikes-Lady
Montana_3046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
Slide out covers - everyone who has them says they are glad they do, everyone who does'nt have them wishes they did. Keep leaves and twigs off the tops of extended slides so you don't have to get up there and sweep them off before retracting slides.

Where do you store the ladder to install them?
Carolyn
Old 02-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #19
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Carolyn, Not sure if I am understanding you correctly...are you asking where you store the ladder to install the "slide out covers"? I believe all slide out covers retract when the slides go in. The covers are a permanent installation. Now if you want to carry a small ladder for items such as cleaning outside windows, etc. We have a lightweight fiberglass ladder which we bungie to our rooftop ladder. Works great for us.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:17 AM   #20
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
Carolyn, Not sure if I am understanding you correctly...are you asking where you store the ladder to install the "slide out covers"? I believe all slide out covers retract when the slides go in. The covers are a permanent installation. Now if you want to carry a small ladder for items such as cleaning outside windows, etc. We have a lightweight fiberglass ladder which we bungie to our rooftop ladder. Works great for us.

This is why This forum is soooo important...I just learned ANOTHER new thing. Permanent instillation of the covers....

and find a window washer for outside. I'll have to train my Mike to do that when he comes to visit.
Carolyn