Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Edit Posting Time Limit

It appears there is a limited time period for one to "Edit" their posting. This may be set by the Admin according to what I read in the FAQs. This will pose some challenges to the way we have handled Rally signups, pot luck meal planning, volunteer task requests, etc.

For examples of what I am referring, look at these postings:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70335
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70335

The thread originator (usually the event organizer) creates a posting asking for input and then updates the original post as responses arrive. The loss of "Edit" capability to update the posting will hurt.

Is it possible to extend, or eliminate, the time limit?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
Right now the edit limit is set to a few hours on posts and this was set this way to prevent mass deletions of content that might make threads meaningless.

That said, there is a special option for posts like those in rally planning threads that need to be edited over and over. When needed, posts can be unlocked indefinitely so that the person who made the post can make changes. You can either message a site team member or even just hit the post report button on one of these posts and make this request. it may take an hour or so to get a response but we can help.

If this doesn't work, we can look for some other solutions.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Right now the edit limit is set to a few hours on posts and this was set this way to prevent mass deletions of content that might make threads meaningless.
At least in the history of the MOC forum, mass deletion has never been an issue. I am not sure what a mass deletion is. A poster can only delete their post(s) AFAIK. It would take all the posters working in concert to reach anything approaching "mass deletion".

Quote:
....That said, there is a special option for posts like those in rally planning threads that need to be edited over and over. When needed, posts can be unlocked indefinitely so that the person who made the post can make changes.....
Is it possible to set the system so that all posts in a rally planning category (ex. North America MOC / Western Region) are editable for a year as a default? The majority of the postings in this category are solicitations for assistance or responses. As each post is likely to be from a different organizer, it is unlikely the poster will be aware of the need to contact an Admin to allow updates. Plus it possibly will result is more useless work for them.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would like to be able to go back and edit any time I need to. Several times I have liked to edit my post because I either didn't make what I said clear or my IPhone changed a word that I didn't catch until some time later usually a day or so later.
I think what you will find is MOC in not your normal forum and we would keep it that way.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
At least in the history of the MOC forum, mass deletion has never been an issue. I am not sure what a mass deletion is. A poster can only delete their post(s) AFAIK. It would take all the posters working in concert to reach anything approaching "mass deletion".

Here are some reasons deletions can be a problem...

1. If there is a long discussion thread and one person posts several times and then deletes their posts it really messes up the continuity of that discussion. It also means that anyone who responded to that poster may have a post that is now makes no sense. As an example, if you deleted all of the 2300 posts you have made, imagine how that affect threads you had posted to.

2. When the first post of a thread is deleted it deletes the entire thread regardless of how many responses there have been. This is a software artifact and the result is that one person has the power to delete other peoples posts.

3. Accounts that are hacked or used without permission. While this may not have happened here - yet, but there is always this risk and I have seen this happen several times with various underlying scenarios.
  • an account left open on a device that was then posted to by a kid or grandkid for "fun"
  • an account where an angry spouse or 'friend' logs in to mess up things on purpose
  • an account that is hacked (usually because a computer is infected) and the account is used to post ads - replacing existing post text with ads for cheap nikes, cell phones and offshore meds.

I have seen all these things happen over the years and this is the main reason for the prohibition long term post deletions.

Right now you can edit your post for 3 hours - which should be enough to make most corrections. If edits are needed for a longer period of time - the site team can help.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote