Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Hi from Contau Lake, Ontario

I think I messed up already. Posted my last message on the new membership forum.....good way to start! My wife and I have a 2004, 2850 Montana and tow with a 2004, F250 Super Duty short box 4x4. We've been wintering for the past three years in the McCallen area of Texas and spend our summers at the lake in our stick house. Thanks for all of your particiapation in the forum, I find it interesting and very helpful. Hopefully I've got the posting right this time.....we'll see

contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, welcome back to Texas. If your not back yet, you'll be welcome when you come. Welcome to the MOC Forum too. Sounds like you have been a frequent reader of the posts, so we are glad to have you chip in. Happy RVing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Contau Lake! You didn't mess up by posting in the intros forum. And you're not the first to post there. But you did figure out your post here will probably be noticed by more people than in the intros area. Sounds like you're all set, with a nice Montana and tow vehicle. Hope they bring you great pleasure. Enjoy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome aboard and glad to have you folks in our forum. Keep us posted. Happyrving.......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 AM   #5
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Welcome Contau Lake to the MOC forum. I know that you will enjoy this site it has a lot of great info and wonderful people.
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:42 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Welcome contau lake. We also winter in McAllen, Tx. Where do you stay?
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:19 AM   #7
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Welcome aboard contau lake!

Gee, seems like there may be a number of members wintering in Texas. We will be for the first time "snow-birding" in Donna. Maybe we need to get a thread going on who is going to be where and when and maybe get a little party going over the boarder????
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by contau lake

We've been wintering for the past three years in the McCallen area of Texas
Hello C.L.

We have been thinking about that part of Texas too. Never been down that way, but since hurricane Ivan destroyed our regular wintering spot, we though we might try heading further west. We chanced upon a website for a park called Bentsen Palms Village Mobile Home and RV Park near Mission TX. Judging solely by their website, it seemed to strike some chords with us. It seems to be brand new, and just outside Bentsen State Park. Do you know of it? ...or at least of the area? Any guidance would be much apprectiated.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Yes, OntMont, Bentsen Palms is a nice park and it is pretty much brand new. They just finished putting in their new pool. We visited it last year and are contemplating spending some time there this winter. They have a biking path and are close to Bentsen State Park which is for hiking and buterfly watching...yes butterfly watching. I think their rates are 360 a month +electricity. They have a rather unique setup for their pull through section. No phone hook-up for your RV but have wireless internet available. There are no railways around that I know of and no major highways either. They are in the middle of open farmland. I think this park will probably get a lot more expensive as they expand. If you like quiet then this is a great place!!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #10
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Bill and Anne! We've been staying in an older park in Mission called Trade Winds. We will probably end up there for part of the winter but are considering Bentsen Palms for part of the winter...not sure just...we had thought of Florida but that may not be in our best interest this year!!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Vickster, I think you have a good idea; might be a bit of a problem pulling all the Montana winter Texans together in one spot. There are lots of fairly large restaurants which could serve as a meeting place. I'm not sure what the best time to get folks together would be...maybe Feb.. Everyone does get pretty busy down there!!
Old 10-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We were in Mission last winter. Stayd at Blue Bonnet for 1 mo then Mission West i mo. We went thru he new one Benteen Palm But I think they qouted us 410 per mo. If I remember right there is another one called Benteen Palm Village. Just before you get to the new one. I think it was 350 plus elec.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 AM   #13
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Let's get a thread going sometime in November on this Texas meet. We will be down in McAllen mid Nov. and will monitor this web site. We have to stop at Goshen on the way down to get some work done on our unit that the dealer wouldn't touch.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by contau lake

Yes, I think their rates are 360 a month +electricity. They have a rather unique setup for their pull through section. No phone hook-up for your RV but have wireless internet available.
C.L.
Thanks for the info on the area. We are thinking it must be a decent destination, if so many people from this group are going. The map does show a lot of Campgrounds in the area. We may try Bensen Palm Village.

This from their website: http://www.bentsenpalmvillage.com/rates.html

Bentsen Palm Village
Mobile Home & RV Park
Large paved pull-thrus
Full hookups
Pool & Spa
FREE cable
FREE wireless Internet
FREE long distance in the US & Canada
Cabin rentals
Laundry & Showers
Club House
Planned Activities
FREE bicycles for your use
5-mile hike n' bike trail

For a 3 month stay, the rate is $257/month plus electricity. I wonder what they charge for electricity?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:42 AM   #15
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
OntMont, I bellieve the 257 a mos. is for the back-in sites on grass with no pad. We visited a couple of times last year and they were pretty well filled in Feb.-Mar particularly the pull through sites. They've added an extra wheel this year which will give them 4 wheels (circles with each site being a pull-through). Around the outside of the pull through section there were a lot of grass back in sites which also filled up. This park is a little removed from the main stream of things but still very accessible to shopping and Mexico.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:52 AM   #16
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Bill and Anne...sounds great to us, unfortunately we don't leave Ont. till Boxing Day (Christmas with the family) and usually arrive in Texas around the 1st. of Jan. Hopefully we can still hook up with those fortunate enough to avoid travelling in coooold and snoooow!!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:26 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, something to ask about the free wi-fi. Often when it's free the signal is very limited, meaning you need to be in their office or lounge to use it. It's still a good deal but wouldn't want you thinking you would have free wi-fi at the Montana. It may work at the Montana but might be worth asking about.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:46 AM   #18
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
John and Donna, I believe the electricity was .13 cents a kilowatt(?)but am not a hundred % sure!!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 AM   #19
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
John, sorry forgot; the wireless network will work in your RV if your in the main circles of the park but I believe the range is limited depending on the heigth of their antenna. So obviously the farther from the source the more limited the signal unless they have some boosters installed!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

John, something to ask about the free wi-fi. Often when it's free the signal is very limited, meaning you need to be in their office or lounge to use it. It's still a good deal but wouldn't want you thinking you would have free wi-fi at the Montana. It may work at the Montana but might be worth asking about.
Steve and Contau Lake
To quote their web site:

"Wireless Internet and Cable TV: Our high speed wireless internet service and Cable TV are free and available throughout the park."

I guess time will tell. Actually I have never used Wi Fi. As long as I can get a Sprint signal, my cell phone works well. If we go, I may be tempted to try it, just for the experience. I gather the hardware to use it is not real expensive