Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Bye! Bye! AAA!!! Hello Good Sams!

We've had AAA for almost 40 yrs now and the RV Plus since it came out. We TRIED to use it for the first time today. This morning while leaving the Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH, the departure lanes narrowed down to 1 lane with the traffic cones placed on the inside our lane. We had to drive the passenger-side tires of our TV and Monty side off the berm. When we went to get back on the road, we sheared the underside spring pin on the rear axle and the passenger side rear axle slid up the spring to the shackle, shredding the outside of our G614 and slightly grooving the driver side of the same axle. We know that by having the G614, it prevented an accident and a definite blowout.

We called AAA but they said it would be over a 3 hr wait because the heavy duty tow truck was up in New York! We said unacceptable and before I became upset asked my wife to continue with the call. After all info given...a few minutes later AAA called back and said it would be over 24hrs. We then, after surveying under the camper and finding out I could loosen the ubolts and after my wife retrieved 3 of the springs that were laying back along the highway we could put on 1 spare and return home slowly for the hr drive. AAA said they would send someone to change the spare but it would cost us because they didn't have the equipment to jack up the tire. Although we pointed out that it was for that same advertised reason that we had RV Plus, it just didn't matter to them. After our complaint and assuring them that I had already placed 2 bottle jacks underneath the trailer, they said someone could be around in about an hour or so to put the spare on.....at no charge....since we had the tire off the ground. The rest is history. We told them forget about it, we didn't need them, and would be switching services asap. But.... a Cedar Point Rep stopped by on the causeway and asked if she could get some maintenance personnel to help us and of course, we accepted. Within about twenty minutes we were on our way. I just need to replace 2 tires and replace the sheared spring pin. And although AAA has been there for our family for the car and TV, we are now planning on switching over to Good Sams. Cedar Point didn't have to do what they did, but we're glad for the good Samaritans' that they are. Bless God. What a day!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. We've had three incidents with our trailers over the years that involved towing the truck with the trailer. Once on a bridge ramp in Portland Oregon, once on a freeway ramp in loss Vegas Nevada and the last one about 40 miles north of Pahrump Nevada (out in the middle of nowhere and in all three situations we had excellent service from AAA. In fact in Las Vegas they recommended a service place for my truck that had us back on the road that afternoon. Around 11;00 am my fuel transfer pump on my diesel failed. Of course the replacement was different so they had to do some rewiring (it was an upgrade)and they had us on the road by 5:15. Also the part from Dodge didn't show up till 3:00. So I don't know if it was the area you were in or what but I know they could and do much better than what happened to you. I think I would email the supervisor of that area to relay your concerns because it never should have happened to you.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The Rep told me RV Plus would cover us. We also had been with AAA for a long long time. Just to be sure, I called the emergency number and told them I was just checking and if my truck broke down would they tow the whole rig off an interstate to a place were we could drop the trailer. They said no, we were too long. I went with Coach-net and haven't looked back.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
AAA is a good company, but not really equipped to handle our rigs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We also had been with AAA for many years and never used. About 4years ago thet raised our rates 60 percent at renewal and we told them to cancel our coverage and we went with Good Sam.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I find this all very interesting as we have been AAA members almost 30 years and have never had a 60% increase in rate. As I said earlier our truck with the trailer attached has been towed to a repair shop. Our first time we had a single axle and lost a wheel. AAA tow truck put a dolly under the trailer and one of their drivers drove (slowly) my Dakota p/u with trailer attached to my home (about 8 miles). Maybe some of the agencies in other states run things differently.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
We just switched to GS since coachnet isn't available in CA. Have yet to use them and hope they treat us as well as AAA has over the last 20 years. We had RV Plus but never used it. Now that we are full-time the probability of an issue has increased so I felt it was time to buy better "insurance"
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

...We just switched to GS since coachnet isn't available in CA...
Huh? I got Coachnet with the purchase of my Montana and have had it ever since. Last I looked I live in CA. What am I missing?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 49merc

I find this all very interesting as we have been AAA members almost 30 years and have never had a 60% increase in rate. As I said earlier our truck with the trailer attached has been towed to a repair shop. Our first time we had a single axle and lost a wheel. AAA tow truck put a dolly under the trailer and one of their drivers drove (slowly) my Dakota p/u with trailer attached to my home (about 8 miles). Maybe some of the agencies in other states run things differently.
Bob
You are exactly right. AAA is not the same across the nation and what one states AAA will cover another state may not. Came as a surprise to me, but shouldn't have since Blue Cross runs very similarly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #10
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Like I said above, AAA as far as auto assistance is and has always been great for us and for both my boys and their families. But for all the promises and peace of mind (as to why you subscribe to their RV services) .... yesterday, nothing but a puff of smoke! Ordered 2 new replacement G614's. LIke I mentioned, one tire was really shredded along the side and the opposite tire had a deep groove on the inside, but both held their air. We're safe and no trailer damage. We'll never go to a different tire. Life's too short! D