Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Front living room Montanas

I've been off the forum, at least writing wise, for quite a few years now. But we own a 3400 RL and are happy with it overall. I'm being a little premature here, as were probably not looking to upgrade for a couple of years yet. But I'm wondering about the new front living room models that Montana is making, 0ne of them being the 3750 FL.

My wife and I were surprised how much we liked this model when we went inside of the them while we were in Florida recently. Aside from hearing from people who own these models, I'm also wondering what kind of truck I might need to tow one of these? For example, would a dually be necessary or would it be possible to tow it with a four wheel HD truck? We're considering buying a new truck within the next couple of years and then buying the Montana we want to go with it. The pin weight is an obvious factor but I'm wondering what people have experienced with their trucks in this rig?

Topic moved to a more appropriate forum and locked as it is a duplicate of "Front Living Room RVs and Tow Vehicles" http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=53622
CRAFT-Guy

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Well, to show how long I've been absent from writing, I posted this in the wrong place. I will repost it.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
In our 3750, we have the generator installed, extra battery, stackable washer dryer, portable dishwasher, 2nd AC, auto-seek satellite, etc. etc., and tow with a dually Silverado as shown in the signature line. The rig fully loaded is rated at just shy of 16,000 pounds, with a probable pin weight depending on loading of 2500-3000 pounds (give or take a couple hundred pounds). I am comfortable with the combination we have, but would advise doing the math and seeing the results.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
With the weight of my TV loaded up for towing I am a little under 8,500 lbs. That leaves only 2,500 lbs for the pin and 14,500 GTWR because of the CGVWR. And I do not have a generator, Washer/Dryer and second A/C in my rig.

I can't tow most of the new models and my truck is a 1 ton for personal use. So this means a new dually if I upgrade.

Make sure when doing the math, you use the Combined and Gross weight ratings. Trying to meet individual axle or pin weights will get you in trouble. Most salesmen will try to sell you on Shipping weight and then it becomes YOUR weight problem and mostly means a new truck to fix it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
As Art said, the vehicle you will need is dependent on the trailer you purchase. In the case of a 3750FL I would strongly recommend a 1-ton dually...pick your favorite manufacturer.

You can certainly get by with less and may never have issues, but I prefer playing it straight; do the math and get a truck that is rated for your rig. I make no judgement of others who choose to deviate from manufacturewr ratings, but for me if there was such a thing as luck mine would be bad.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote