Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Level-Up Question

Hi All, This has happened twice. This last time I am parked in my storage spot. The left side is lower than the right. (rig leaning to the left.

I unhook from the truck, no issue. Jacks on manual and lower the left rear jacks. OK, they go down with no issue. Now a week later I go to hook up. When I try and get the left rear jacks to come up on manual I get the message that the angle is too much. They went down but will not come up due to excessive angle side to side.

I move truck out of the way and mess with it. NO Joy. Then in frustration I decide what the heck, I use auto retract all. The front falls on it's face and the left jacks retract.

I then go back to manual mode and raise front and hook up as normal.

No way this is right.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:
No way this is right.
But it is.

When you unhook, the RV is tilting (left) more than the system allows. But because all you did was run the front lacks down, it won't take the lean limit into consideration (else you would not be able to unhook). Extending the left legs invokes the leveling circuitry which know you are exceeding the lean limit, but since you are extending the left leg, the lean angle will be reduced to an acceptable value.

When you come back and retract the left side, the circuitry recognizes when you hit the lean limit and stops with the message you saw.

Hitting the Auto Retract All function should only be done when you are attached to the TV. It does exactly what the name implies. Just be glad you have the TV clear of the RV as it would have dented something for sure.

The better procedure is to extend the front jacks enough to disconnect from the truck. Then use "Auto Level" function to level the RV. Now when you return to the storage lot, all you have to do is hit the left & right buttons to return to the point where you disconnected, hook up, and then hit the "Auto retract all" button. This way the circuitry will handle the lean limit by itself and not issue ugly messages.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Thanks, Yea I know to get the truck out of the way. The difference in trailer angle and truck angle was such I was not sure my B&W hitch would accept it to reconnect. When unhooking both were leaning the same. Now I had the trailer "tilted"

It seems strange the system will let you extend a jack, but you can not retract it in the manual mode. Like you say, in auto retract it does not look at the level since the left side did come up.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote