Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
Water Filter, Softener and Regulator

I would like to install a dual canister water filter with mounting bracket and an “On The Go” water softener. I also want to change my water regulator from the basic cheap one to a Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator. I would like to securely mount the filter canisters and softener inside in the basement. The simple routing would be regulator, filters and then softener. If I installed a tee in the line between the filters and softener, I could run a line for drinking purposes up to the kitchen sink. How difficult is it to run a line like this? My thought here is to have water for drinking before the softened water with salt in it. Then install a dispenser faucet at the kitchen sink.

I have a few questions on the installation and location of the filter canister, water softener and regulator:

1. The filter canister can made up with hose connections or connections for PEX piping. Seems like using hose connections instead of PEX piping would be easiest. What is preferred?
2. Where is the most desirable location to mount the canisters?
3. Where have MOCers installed their water softeners?
4. What are the pros and cons between locating the regulator at the spigot or at the RV?

If anyone has pictures, those would be most welcome and helpful. Thank you in advance your input.

Larry

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
cmanger319
Established Member

M.O.C. #13237
It should not be necessary to add a seperate line before the softener. The salt is used to clean the beads in the softener. Water coming out of the softener should not have any salt content. The softener stops sending water during the cleaning cycle and flushes the salt water before allowing soft water to resume flowing. The beads in the softener collects the lime in the water that causes the hardness of the water. The salt solution causes the beads to release the scale and cleanses the beads during the regeneration cycle
cmanger319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Larry, our 3455SA had a water filter installed direct from the Montana factory. It is behind the convenience center. It would be simple to mount a second unit beside it. We use an "on the go" before water enters the rig and buy those gallon jugs of water from the super market for drinking.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Chip,

Although water doesn't have any sodium chloride after the softener it is still.very high in sodium which is bad for those with high blood pressure.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi,
I opted to install a Reverse Osmosis system in my 3400RL, I installed the water softener right under the water hook up on the Monte, it just sits on the ground there with hose shut-off's for easy service.
The R.O. system is mounted inside the right door, curb side on the bulkhead where the convenience center. You could install filters there and pipe to the intake and supply. We have R.O. at home and love it, so I bought a system at Lowe's and installed it. I have a faucet on the sink for it
I have pictures. (Shocker)
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/ReverseOsmosis5FilterWaterConditioningSystemInstal l?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Putting the On the Go in the rig will present problems for regeneration and back flushing. Not insurmountable, but still a PITA. As long as you have good hoses it shouldn't be a problem putting the regulator with your other equipment. I use quick disconnects so I can pick and chose whether I want to use the whole rig or only parts. We have what you're considering, but my regulator attaches to my filters, that sit outside in a wood frame I made, followed by the softener and then into the rig. No reason not to put a connection after the filters that could attach to a hose that feeds drinking water in the kitchen whether it's inside the basement or outside the convenience center.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quite a number of members have mounted their filters inside their storage area, I do not recall anyone mounting a water softener there for the reasons mentioned previously regarding recharging the softener.

I built a metal stand for mine and have everything outside, it only uses room in my storage area during transport and is much easier to winterize than with the filters mounted inside the unit. It is low enough to also stand up in my 3402RL during transport. I do not know how you would drain a softener if it were mounted inside the compartment and I would not be putting anti-freeze into it. I just tip mine over and allow it to drain, drain and remove the filters and it is all winterized.

I do not use a regulator but would mount it prior to the filters on my stand if I were to use one.

Although I have no intention of purchasing another RV, my setup has been used on my last 5th wheel and trailer. Saves buying these things all over again if you decide to upgrade.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks Irlpguy for the photo, recently purchased water filtration system and have been setting it outside in a plastic container under coach, but your setup looks much better. Don't have softner system yet.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Recumbent, the really good thing about my setup/mod is that I get to keep it if I trade or sell the current RV. I have a wire feed welder and the stand is made out of light wall 1 x 1 square tubing with a small piece of plywood for the base of the softener and a stainless hose clamp. Might have cost me $10.00 for the material.

I built one for my Brother in Law at the same time. They work great and are easy to recharge, but I am planning on putting an adjustable regulator on it as well.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
rgrpmr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8802
Ltoews - Larry, if you are using salt (NaCl) to regenerate your softener, you are using what is called an ion exchange softener. Typically, these softeners exchange sodium for calcium to soften the water (i.e., take out the calcium to make soft water). This means the softener discharges soft water with sodium replacing calcium. The soft water has a higher sodium content. I'm with you on taking drinking water off before the softener. Good luck with the install.
Rob
rgrpmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I have my filters ordered from The RV Water Filter Store and ready to install them when they arrive.

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since I don't have a welding set up mine is the same as Ed's except it has a treated wood frame that holds it from the bottom.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote