Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Tire changing ramp

I am enquiring if anyone has used the tire changing ramp being sold at CW. I currently carry a 8-ton and 3-ton jack if I experience a flat while towing. The 8-ton is used to lift the side of the trailer to bear the weight of the trailer and the 3-ton is used under the axel to just lift the wheel high enough for me change it. CW sells a ramp that you are suppose to drive up on with your good tire and it provides the lift for the tire you are changing. I just would like to know if anyone has used it and any advice.

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Although these devices work, and do a great job of lifting the flat tire, I caution against using them. Their use puts a tremendous burden on the good tire, the axle spindle, and the suspension of the trailer. The method you currently use is much better for all components of the running gear.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm definitely with Lonnie on this. I had one of these once, then I got to thinking about the stess put on the one tire,etc, holding the trailer up and I got rid of it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Although these devices work, and do a great job of lifting the flat tire, I caution against using them. Their use puts a tremendous burden on the good tire, the axle spindle, and the suspension of the trailer. The method you currently use is much better for all components of the running gear.
Lonnie, your assessment is extremely technically sound and I completly agree with you...Thanks
Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have been rving for more than 20 years- I have driven a good tire up on wooden blocks to change a flat on numerous ocassions for an hour without any adverse problems that I am aware of- I agree extra stress is placed on the good tire, etc. but feel the practice is permissable because the operation is very smoothly executed- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
I was looking through a friends owners manual on a SOB a few years ago and this process of changing tires was the recommended way. The manual was of a upper scale fifth wheel also (since gone out of business). I have one of these ramps but have never tried using it but I have read on other forums that they do not raise the tire high enough if you have Moryde suspension.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
I wouldn't use it because of what it may do to the leaf spring pack where the good tire is. Ever see those collapse?
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We have used one of these devices but with the mor-ryde system it will not lift the tire completely off the ground...so we use our 8 ton jack to lift it the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch it needs to clear the ground....not hard to drive up on either...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I used these once to adjust brakes. Had to replace both axles. They both bent. Now have Mor-Ryde IS.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
I went and bought one of those ramps from CW after I had a flat on the freeway and had to wait for my friend to come help me. He brought one of those ramps and it worked okay but the ramp did not lift the other axle far enough off the ground to change the tire. I had to use the truck jack to finish getting the axle off the ground. Since that flat, I went and bought two boxes of those interlocking leveling blocks that you put under your jack stands and wheels when you are parked. When I had my next flat, I used those blocks to build a ramp that worked perfectly and have been using that method since. I've got plenty of leveling blocks and a ramp all in one purchase. I threw that black plastic ramp in the tool shed and use it for the lawn tractor when I change the blades. The leveling blocks weigh less too.
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote