Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Coming to you live from Naples, Fl

This is fla native checking in with her latest running from Hurricanes update. I haven't had time before now. It was really tough to decide where to run to but I hooked up Miss Montana and left Polk county last Thurs and went to Sebring to get my father. We waited until Friday morning to make our choice and decided Naples looked about the best place to be out of harms way. Turns out it was a good choice.

We are staying at Kountree Kampin RV resort about 5 miles south of the Alley and I-75. So far we still have power. We are getting wind gusts and some rain but not much else. We expect to be getting the SW end of the feeder bands for a couple of more days. I think this is the only time I will be in an RV park in Naples filled with other Floridians.

The downside right now is not knowing if my father still has his home. We are not getting much info on Sebring or Highlands county.

This running from Hurricanes is starting to get on my nerves. I interviewed for a great Job last week in Melbourne. I was to work in Palm Bay. Now I'm not sure that's going to happen from the looks of the place.

I thought Charley was a weird storm, this one is overwhelming. I think it has or will affect almost every county in the State before it's over.

Rob Cooley left a message on my voice mail suggesting I have a "Hurricane Homing Device" on LadyRam. I called and told him if I did I sure hope I left it in Polk county. I can't begin to wrap my mind around running from Ivan.

I hope anyone else in Florida is doing OK and is safe.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Fla native, Thank goodness you and your father got out of the way. I am so happy that you two are OK and of course miss Montana and lady ram. I am praying that your fathers home did not have much damage and that he will be able to go home soon. Please keep us posted.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Good to hear from you fla native. We've all been wondering how our MOC Florida buddies have fared from Frances. We'll keep our fingers crossed that Ivan runs out of steam and never makes it anywhere near land.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Fla Native,
Thank you for checking in. I'm so sorry all you folks are having to deal with such a bad hurricane season. We hope your father is OK along with everyone else. Take care and keep the hitch ready to go! Wherever you have to go..... just do it! Trying to "ride it out" is simply not worth your life.

Stay safe and keep checking in from time to time. RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
fla native,

We are thrilled to hear from you, and are so glad you got out of Dodge this time! We were so worried that Miss Montana would not fare as well this time around.

Lets hope our other Florida members are OK. You have ALL been on our minds constantly. We cannot stop watching tv and checking weather.com.

Our prayers and thoughts go with you.

Ivan, GO AWAY!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Glad to hear that you are safe. Come to earthquake country if you get tired of the hurricanes there.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
DHenry.... you mean the "shake 'n bake" state? (California)
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Fla, Glad to hear that you are OK along with your dad. I have a place in the panhandler area, 49 miles north of Panama City, If you need to run again you my head there, We just get a lot of wind and rain. PM me if you need my help.....
Just148
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:41 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
BJ,

I was so glad to read that you and your Dad are OK. I was in Naples last May taking a Laser Tech class. It's really nice there. I loved walking downtown and eating at a couple of the street side Cafés and restaurants. Very pretty and lots of places for access to the beach.

I know it's been so horrible down there. Dick's parent and mine are both in Lady Lake where Rob & Julia Cooley are. Our parents are fine so I am hoping Rob & Julia are too. Dick's Parents have no electricity but my parents do and they are only about 6 miles apart.

Again, it was so good to hear from you. I will keep you and the others in my prayers.

By the way has anyone heard from Tom/LightnjackII?

I know I will be praying that Ivan just misses Florida, I think it's time for a break down there.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
fla native, glad to hear you are fairing well during this storm. And your father is doing well. Keep us posted. Happyrving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
fla native,
We are SO glad you and your father are OK and hope that you will be able to return to your homes soon. As everyone has said, it is good to hear from those of you in Florida. MOC members do care about you and if prayers and good thoughts do anything, you have them coming from all of us!
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
fla native,
Lorraine and I are so glad you and your dad made it thru OK. Lorraine's parents and niece live in Pinellas County and made it thru with just minor damages.
Hopefully all these storms will be gone by the time we get there in October/November.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #13
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I too am happy you and your father are ok, thank you for checking, I have been wondering about you. Take care and stay safe. I hope you are able to fine employment soon, we know how you feel.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:29 AM   #14
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thank you for all your prayers and kind words.

I just returned from my Dad's in Sebring. It's nothing short of another miracle. His house was untouched. Not even any debre in his yard. If your local paper printed a good map of Frances' path you will see how the eye cut through Okeechobee and made a very slight right turn just at it reached Highlands county went north along it's edge and then turned north again right at the NE edge of Highlands. (Lake Placid/Sebring) I know that being on the SW side of a hurricane is the best place to dodge it, but because the eye was so close and the storm so big, it's hard to figure.

So now for me it's "On the RUN again, just can't wait to get on the RUN again......" If you look at where I'm sitting (Naples) and you look at Ivan, well it's making me nervous. The problem again is where to run to. The SW coast of FL is about the only part of the state left without problems from Charley and Frances. I sent in two resume's to Naples agencies just in case, but right now I'm uncertain. It may take a Westward path and miss Naples but I sure can't wait to long to decide. But I also don't want to pull to an area with power.

I know Frances is making a mess where some of you are right now, so I pray you are safe and not losing power or getting flooded out.

I will be so happy when the day comes I don't have to live in FL during hurricane season. This is too much stress even for me.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:41 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Prayers do get answered. What good news about your dad's place!!

yes, get out of Dodge if necessary, been to Michigan lately?? no hurricanes here, and fall color is about to start.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:45 PM   #16
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
AMEN Fla. Native. The stress is unthinkable. I dont know why we have electric here but all my neighbors are without. Been delivering ice and trying to supply them with electric cords from home. I have two girl FF staying in the Monty so they can sleep in the A/C. OHH for the a/c. .. Its been so miserable without it. Anyway doing what we can for others. Everyone stay safe.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote