Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Locked in Montana

Went out to Trailer to turn on furnace last night, got down to 18 degrees, and the door to trailer wouldn't open from inside the trailer. Had to exit thru the emergency exit to get out of trailer. Haven't checked out what went wrong yet. Door will open from outside with a key. Anyone seen something like this happen?

rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Had a similar issue, though from the opposite side of the door...door was locked with the key from the outside...exited door from inside and when the door closed, it was locked! Good news for us is that Camilla only had to wait about an hour for me to return...maybe that wasn't such good news. Anyway, glad your emergency exits did the job...anxious to hear the resolution of this puzzle.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What's intriguing me the most is how you survived using the emergency windows. My emergency windows are so high I know I would break something on the way down. We have two emergency windows. One in the bedroom at the overhang (8 1/2 foot drop) and the other at the opposite corner at the living room desk (over 6 foot drop) and this is from the bottom edge of the window while the trailer is on level ground. I am only 5'9" and DW even shorter. I am also only 55 years old, in sound physical shape (old bones and joints, though) and can't imagine having to use these. As for Michael, can you imagine Camilla's reaction if she had to deal with emergency windows by the time you returned? (insert the "Lurch" (The Addams Family) groan here)

Let us know what you find with the door locks.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Been there, done that, twice.

Our solution, replaced lock second time. Second time it broke inside the mechanism.

You could look at the lock (inside side of door, not outside door), see if that little rod has slipped down. If so, you can fix by pressing rod into correct position and putting silicone on the bottom to keep it from slipping down again. Worked quite well for a LONG time. That was the first time/locked in.

Well, not sure that description will help, sighhhh.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This seems to be a fairly common issue although it hasn't happened to us (yet!). The easiest to fix cause is loose screws. More serious failures of the mechanical parts requires a replacement. I believe there is a phone number for the vendor inside the lock mechanism.

Here is one (of many) previous postings on this problem with some discussion on what to do. I am sure there are more.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=door,lock

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
most likely lock mechanism has come apart or plate inside is loose. if plate is loose put parts back together and tighten plate. use loc-tight on screws.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Art, don't think the emergency windows were an option for Camilla...she is not very tall! On another note, there is an article in the Jan 2011 issue of Trailer Life mag: RVLOCK. The lock that is being advertised really sounds like a winner. While it does have keys to lock/unlock the door, it also has a battery operated feature that will lock/unlock with a key fob. It's on our list of things to buy...not high on the list since the $239.99 price tag is more than I am will to pay to fix something that is not yet broke, but maybe one of these days....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
The emergency exit wasn't pleasant but I survived. Used the one over my sofa. Have cabinets over sofa. Opened cabinet doors and held onto cabinets and went out face first. A few red marks on back and one on cheek. Haven't looked at lock yet, too cold outside now.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
See if the lower lock was locked from the outside...If you lock the handle and close the door, it's locked. That's what happened to me.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
It happened to us just after purchasing the trailer ( 3665RE). We were getting ready to leave on a trip. I was in the truck ready to hook up to the trailer when I heard loud banging from inside the fiver (my wife was in it getting ready).

So I went back to see what was going on, opened the camper door and the wife was standing there with a look on her face. The door locked on her and she couldn't get out she claimed. What?? Your nuts the door just doesn't lock by itself I told her. I went inside and shut the door.

Yep ... we are both locked inside ... and it was hot that day.Of course the tool box was in the truck. So how do we get out of this thing. No cell phones either to call the neighbor. So I used the emergency window in the living room slide.Put my wife over my shoulder like a sack of flour and lowered her feet first out the window the best I could ... it was a little drop ... hehe.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
With credit to Mac the Fire Guy, the procedure for getting out the escape window is this: Bedroom, open the window and drag the comforter off the bed, push part of it out the window. Hubby, yes hubby, goes first, feet first. DW stands on the comforter to secure it and as he gets out he uses it to lower to the ground. DW then comes out and hubby catches her and lowers her to the ground. If you are alone, Use the comforter but you may have a bit of a drop.

Main slide: still use the comforter and the same procedure if two of you. Alone it would be much easier than the bedroom.

Think about it. What would you do if there was a fire?

A bit off topic for which I apologize. It did seem somewhat appropriate.

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We had the same problem, luckily tightening the screws inside (had a screwdriver inside) made the lock/latch work.....and have had no issues since.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Something else on my check list! Get that screw driver and go to work. I am sure there are a few "loose screws" around the Monty--not including the owner.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote