Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
dige1

M.O.C. #2123
Slide outs

I just purchased a new 2955RL montana fifth wheel unit. I noticed that after only a few times out that the battery was not functionning since my slide outs where draining the battery very fast even if the power was connected to the AC line. Was there anyone here had the same problem and what was the cure.
Again I'm new at the Owner's club and I think that All of you have great knowledge outthere.
Gerry & Diane

dige1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
First and foremost, Welcome to the club and Congrats on the new coach. I have not had that problem before, but am sure someone will be along soon to offer some advice. Again, welcome and make sure you jump right in on the many topics and discussions.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:08 PM   #3
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
I had a similar problem with the battery not staying charged even when connected to shore power. It turned out to be a problem with the converter which the dealer took care of.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 AM   #4
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
You should have NO problem with slidout power when hooked to shore power or on your truck power...see you dealer..sounds like a converter problem.
Good Luck
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
dige1, Ours was doing just that the last two times we used ours also. The slides were really slow and the lights were real dim, even tho we were plugged in yet. Ours it at the dealer right now. Will let you know what they found out. Probably the converter problem people have. Terry
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
One thing I noticed about some of the wireing in our new 328RLS is that they used "Scotchlocks" to splice into wires. This is a plastic coupler that locks together and cuts thru the insulation in one step. When I managed a truck shop I banned them altogether. When used for a repair it was not IF it would fail simply when. It WILL fail. It is just a matter of time.
The hydraulic motor draws a lot of power to get going and this causes heat to build up. After awhile the connection becomes loose. To check if this is the problem, run the slides. If the connector gets hot...ie resistance. Cut it out and replace with a crimp butt connector. If you are going to do this yourself do not use the elcheapo crimpers. They cause problems as well. Home depot has cast steel crimpers for about $15.00. The crimp area is about 1/4 in wide vs about 1/16. Well worth it if you want permanent repairs.
Rick
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:41 AM   #7
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Gerry & Diane; Had the same problem except ours is an old rig . If your hydrolics is wired directly to your Battery,Your battery may have been low to begin with and didnt have the Amps. (about 30 ) to do the job, and your converter/ carger doesnt really charge up very fast. you might try putting agood charge ( with an outside charger) and see if that will hold good luck and welcome to our group!! Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote