Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
Chasing crap in the water system

I have a 2015 3611rl and have been taking the water fixtures apart to clean out a calcium like deposit (various sizes close to sand size) that plugs the water flow until it just dribbles. I use a 0.5 micron filter in the water supply line so I think it's being produced in the water heater? Have done the kitchen faucet 2 or three times, the bathroom spigot several times. Now I'm trying to figure out how to take the supply apart on the toilet to clean it. I don't know for sure where it's coming from, and I'm baffled by the toilet supply, which is cold water only. Anybody had this problem, and solved/prevented it?
I'm on the road, so I can't get too deep into inspection until I get home in a couple of weeks, but flushing the water heater is obvious.

Thanks
Andy

andrew selkregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
Those white sand deposits are coming out of water heater, probably produced by anode. Last year I unscrewed anode without taking off pressure and the anode hit me in chest along with a bunch of the white deposits (and water). I have no clue how it would get in toilet supply.
mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You may be getting mineral solids from the hard water that are clogging your faucet screens. I installed a water softener about four years ago and that has almost eliminated all the crap getting in the faucets. You definitely will not get anything from the water heater in the toilet, and most of the time, if you are draining and replacing the anode annually in the water heater, you will not get any of the white debris in your plumbing system. Your cold water inlet on the water heater is at the bottom of the tank and the outlet that goes to your sinks is at the top of the tank We fulltime and travel quite a bit and have never gotten the water heater stuff in the plumbing. There are several softeners that work for RV's. The one we went with is the Watts RV Pro 10,000.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Folks can and do have the same problem with a stick house. Hard water will coat the inside of lines to the point where over a lot of years they can almost totally clog pipes. Hot water heaters by their nature build up the coating faster. We use a water softener and flush the water heater with fresh water annually, to clean as much of the coating as possible, when we change the anode rod. If we didn't use the softener I would flush more often.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
airboatart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17939
We use a water softener also and flush the water heater once a year when i change the anode rod.
airboatart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
Thanks for the replies. I'll flush when I get home and depending what I find, will evaluate the softener.

Andy
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
A water softener should solve the problem. We are full timers and use ours all the time regardless of where we are. Never had a problem with water lines/fixtures.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #8
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
Thanks for everyone's input. I have flushed the water heater (which was pretty loaded with the deposits). I changed the anode, although it wasn't too badly eaten away. I also changed out the toilet water valve (Thetford Style II), because sometimes it did not want to shut off, and removed and cleaned out the toilet bowl spray nozzle. I can't believe the same deposits that were stuck in it! Next, I'm going to start tracing piping to see if somehow the toilet was piped at the factory with hot water?
Looking at water softeners also, but haven't decided yet. Will definitely increase the frequency of water heater flushes though.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Where are the water softeners being mounted?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
Don't have a clue yet
Old 11-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I have our softener sitting in the pass through next to the convenience center and use 4 ft hoses to connect it. It’s been working for over 4 years now that way.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Flushing the hot water tank will take out some of the sediment but the real trick is using vinegar similar to cleaning your drip coffee makers. It's amazing how much sediment comes out when u do this.
That doesn't explain sediment in the toilet though.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
The easy way to determine if the toilet is plumbed with hot water is to fill the bowl with water and then have your wife stick her hand in it to check the temp.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Pyoung47 you are one brave man LOL.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #15
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Use a remote temp tool
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok guys I sold chemicals in the oilfield to address such issues. Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) is the most common form of scale found in water systems and particularly in water heaters. The reason for that is unlike most other mineral scales it is more likely to form with the addition of heat. So if you have a white or chalky looking scale in your system it is in fact most likely Calcium Carbonate. Pressure drops will also encourage deposition and that is why you may see the scale in screens of your faucets.
A filter system will not help since the scale is in solution prior to the water heater. I am not sure if a water softener will help or not. I do know that the scale is easily dissolved by Hydrochloric Acid (HCL or sometimes called Muriatic Acid in hardware stores). However I advise extreme caution in using that product. The acid will be corrosive to metal but if you have plastic parts it will remove it with no harm but be careful using it regardless.

Just FYI, the orange scale you may find in systems is Iron Oxide. You usually won't find that scale unless the water is very heavily laden with Iron and there has to be a source of Oxygen. That is why you usually only see that scale as stains on dripping faucets or in the tub.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote