Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Marty

M.O.C. #9206
Holes under Sink

My wife awoke this morning to two chipmunks scampering around in our two month old 3605 Montana. She is staying by herself in our unit while I had to return to work some eight hours away.
To say she is upset is an undertatement!
Upon looking under the sink, she removed a thin veneer panel and found a hole big enough for a soccer ball to fit through that looks as if it was broken out with a sledge hammer, not a neat round small hole for wires and a couple of pipes. Clearly the point fo entrance into the main living area by Chip and Dale.
Has anyone else checked under their sink to see the same thing. The manufacturer would not take responsibility for the hole--again, has anyone else had the same problem?
Like I said, I'm eight hours away, as is Tacoma RV where we purchase the unit. Is this a manufacturer issue, or would our extended warranty cover it?
I'd appreciate any thoughts or help the forum could give me!
Thanks.[/font=Arial]

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Mine is the same way. You need to keep the basement doors closed at all times when you are finished using them. Also, plug any holes in the under belly with expanding foam or steel wool.

I rimmed the rough hole under the sink with split rubber hose to protect the wiring that passes through there from rubbing the insulation off. Kind of shoddy craftmanship if you ask me. You should pull the basement wall and see all of the carnage going on in there! Lots of wiring and plumbing to rearrange and neaten up. It amazes me that they can get away with some of the stuff that is behind there.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
What you describe is not unusual. We see all kinds of holes and often as not we also see the cut out piece as well as a lot of sawdust. They do not tend to clean up after themselves.

Even if there were not such a huge hole it is very possible that the little critters would be able to get in the rig. It does not take a very big hole for small critters to get in.

If you want the hole fixed you will probably have to do it yourself or have it done. You'll be lucky if any extended warranty covers the "production hole".

Let us know what transpires.

Travel safely.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Over the 40 days that we have owned our new 3400RL basically that's all I have been doing is retrofitting poor and careless craftmanship.
The area where our sink drain went through the floor was cut out to a 4 inch diameter hole with no caulking to stop/ eliminate draft and critters. Beside this 4 inch hole was another smaller hole to accomodate the passing of electrical wires. I sealed both of these with expanding foam to insulate yet very easily remove if piping or wire has to be repaired or altered. As mentioned earlier it is best that you perform the work yourself and I am sure the results will be superior to having someone else (Dealer) complete the work. If it wouldn't be for the expertise and colaboration of this Club we would all be on our own and frustrated with what we come across and find as each problem occurs. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I just read that Good Sam Club is trying to enact the lemon law on RV manufactures along with the automobile laws. All I can say is "it's about time".

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I suspect the way in for these critters may be as ours was that is through what I call the ram holes into the sides of the I-beam frames under each slide except for the bedroom slide. Each slide has this ram that extends through the frame with a hole around it much larger than the ram. We fill these holes with a lot of steel wool once the slides are out. Once the critter get through the I-beam they can move pretty freely I believe to any hole up through the floor they can find. Another problem area is where the water hose and cable come up through the trailer bottom and connect. We fill this hole as well with steel wool around the cable and water hose for a tight fit. If one doesn,t seal these two areas, come fall or sooner the critters will stuff these ares with food.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
One thing I need to point out is that if the little critters do get in and you want them out DO NOT use bait unless you want your rig to reek for several weeks. Use snap traps or electric traps, any kill trap that keeps the critter in one place. You don't want them dieing in the belly of the rig or inside a space you cannot reach. They do stink after they die in a hidden area. (don't ask)... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey Dave We have not heard from you since you left FL Where are you
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote