Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Also give Carson City a look.

Carson and the surrounding communities are quiet and large enough now that you don't have to travel to Reno for shopping like 20-30 years ago. It's only a 20 minute drive to Reno from Carson with the completion of the I-580 freeway. I live about 15 minutes southeast of Carson in the and we have 350Mbps internet if you need bandwidth above dial-up.

You do get all four seasons here.

It's about 6-7 hours to the SoCal (LA area) via Hwy395.

I'd stay out of Reno. It's turning into LA with the traffic and overcrowding. I hate having to go there.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
Professor Steve
Established Member

M.O.C. #22062
Professor Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandTerri View Post
I'd take a look at the Reno - Carson City area. Beautiful country and inexpensive. Within 3 hours of Sacramento. My wife and I enjoy going there multiple times during the year: Reno Air Races, Hot August Nights, Street Vibrations....
I am a life long Californian and watched the State degrade steadily over the years. I agree with all comments previously stated. We live in the last best part of California but worried the taxes and politics will get even worse.
Only problem with Northern NV is that winter travel into CA is never guaranteed.
CA is lost - too many people, too much traffic, fools making decisions - let's just leave it at that.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #23
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Steve View Post
Only problem with Northern NV is that winter travel into CA is never guaranteed.

True, but you have to learn when and where to go when there's winter weather. First rule is NEVER take I-80 during inclement weather. It gets closed due to crashes from all of said Californians heading to Reno. Highway 50 seems to stay open in the worst conditions as there is minimal truck traffic. Second, is to leave after the storm around noon so the roads have a chance to melt.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #24
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Like you, I too hate everything about CA...so, tell your kids to move! LOL

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

It's still a better reply than those that ask a serious question and 60% of the answers are "I don't know."
Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
jmell44
Established Member

M.O.C. #15942
Wow, I think it's pretty clear with all the responses that California is a great place to live weather wise but if you care about your money and time in traffic it's in shambles. I too deal with all the political foolishness of this state. Tags on my 2014 Ram, $803, the 2015 Montana, $540, diesel, $3.90 a gallon. After billions of dollars spent for a scrapped bullet train to nowhere and a hemorrhaging border I've completely lost confidence in this state's future. Unfortunately, we've got a lot invested in our home and we love where we're at with a fantastic view. I have a friend moving to Yuma and I'm toying with the idea of registering the truck and rig there. I know there are issues with insurance but I'm trying to work that out.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #26
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We moved from CA to our place in AZ Lake Havasu, several years ago. I still own a business in CA, a tax business. So during the tax season I take the Montana to CA and live in it.

We went though my client list and found 84 or so percent do not come into the office and of that number 65 percent are in another state.

Because of this revelation this is the last year I will keep an office in CA. All my work will be out of my AZ home via email or fax or snail mail.

For what it cost me to stay in CA, office rent, RV space, extra fuel and food. I can afford to lose 25% of my clients and still clear more that being in CA.

Don't get me wrong I love CA and its weather but not what one has to put up with re the traffic and cost of living.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #27
Grumpynorm

M.O.C. #21420
Keep in mind the cost licensees in calif. Possibly triple or more what u are paying in az.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #28
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
We live CA no more than 5 months and 29 days each year. We live in FL the other half. We find it's the best of both worlds, no taxes in FL, none in CA other than on what we spend and we get to see some amazing things there and back. We have even contemplated selling the FL house and stay residents through various means that are available.

I would look at Nevada as a place of residents (no income tax) if you want to stick close, you can do it with a little research and a PO box.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #29
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIver View Post
Thank you everyone. Can anyone give me info about the Reno area? I do know that the last time I drove over Donner Pass on the 80 the road was incredibly chewed up from the truck chains needed thru the winters. Winters are tough there but summers in the Lake Havasu area of AZ are tough. Good grief, if the kids had just picked a sane place to live and work my old age would be happier.
We live in Idaho, and our kids are all in the central valley. We go back and forth often, not a bad ride.
IF I were to change, I would look at the Fernley Nevada area. Just east of Reno, priced better, and less than 3 hours to Sac.

Yes 80 is rough, but is is not like you will be on it daily..
Good luck
Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #30
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Yes, Fernley is nice. Also, every time I travel through Gardnerville, I think, "this would be a nice place to live"....
Old 02-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #31
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprezgpoc View Post
Yes, Fernley is nice. Also, every time I travel through Gardnerville, I think, "this would be a nice place to live"....

Fernley has cheaper housing and is more of a satellite community for folks who can't afford the Reno/Sparks area. It has a lot of warehousing due to it proximity to I-80.

Gardnerville/Minden is nice (I'm biased). It's definitely nicer than Fernley, but housing prices are higher. If you want that California feeling there is an In-N-Out burger at the north end of the valley.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #32
chandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19813
There is one thing you may have over looked, How long do your children plan on living in CA. Are job promotions, relocations, etc.; in the future, are they near retirement and plan to relocate/ Something to think about.

Chandy
Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #33
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
My kids are doing well but unfortunately politically and financially rooted in that miserable state. There is no hope in that respect. We will keep our home base here in Albuquerque and travel there as needed. It is actually not a bad choice since we have grown roots here and like this house. Really looking forward to the business selling and the traveling to begin. Thank you, everyone for the ideas.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #34
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
McI, I have lived in CA since the USAF brought me to George AFB in 1975. My kids are rooted here, and until my grandkids graduate high school, neither of those families will be leaving. Additionally, both the kids or their spouses are rooted here with their own businesses. Although DW and I (both USAF retired) have discussed moving to AZ, NM, or TX, we just can't do it. You made a good choice in not moving here, if you can resist the family temptations. Get them to come to you. We are boaters, so we considered Lake Havasu City, and looked at homes there. Good place except in July, Aug, and September. Too damn hot! If pressed to move, I would consider in AZ Goodyear, Litchfield Park, or other small communities on the west side of PHX. Nice, new communities all over there, and about 6-7 hours to LA, OC, areas. Check Six!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #35
jmb98
Established Member

M.O.C. #22945
What about Laughlin, NV or Bullhead City, AZ? Both on the Colorado River & more reasonable distance to LA's hot mess. Our daughter, who lives in Temecula, CA (Riverside Co.), vacations there for summer holidays & it's 5 hrs from her house. Don't know what it's like there (never been), but it is a growing area.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 AM   #36
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Another one...want to be 'near the kids.' From our years on the road we've discovered all to often people move to where their kids are and then the kids move.

Good luck on whatever you do.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #37
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Part of our decision is based on the realization that despite the mutual love the kids and grandkids are so involved in their own lives that we have little actual influence. We show genuine joy to them at their achievements and that is about it. Spend too much time with them and our opinions cause unwanted conflict. Different generations are indeed different.....
Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I have noticed in talking to people in the expensive states is if you own a house that is paid for you can sell it move here and retire. I can live very comfortably on my SS. A friend has a 4000 square foot house 30’miles from my home. His taxes on it are a thousand dollars a year. His parents live in NY their taxes on what he describes as a modest house are $1800 a month.
We have a nice climate not too cold or hot three million acres of national forests nice lakes friendly mountains. I think a perfect place to live but please don’t tell anyone it’s a secret.
Lynwood
Old 03-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #39
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Another thing if you live here everything you want to see is a long way away. I would love to live in the center of the country. Make going from coast to coast shorter because home is in the middle.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #40
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I would rather see the grandkids once in a while because they find it to be a special time. Opposed to seeing them all the time and and they ignore you to play video games with their friends.