Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #61
CaptnJohn
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South East NC
Posts: 1,407
M.O.C. #19865
Back it in and close mirrors. If row in front is tight it may take an extra pull foreward to get in straight, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I've had long bed, crew cab F350's since 2000. All have been daily drivers. In 2014, I went to F450 DRW long bed, crew cabs. Again, daily driver. I never have an issue with driving or parking. Most of it is in people's heads. They "think" the truck is too big. The wheel wells are not wider than the mirrors. My observation is that I can easily get the truck between the lines. Better than most people in much smaller vehicles can.

If you can't drive and park a long bed truck as a daily driver, you probably don't need to be towing a trailer anyway.
__________________
John & Patty
2019 Montana 3761FL
2019 Lariat F350 4X4 Dually
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #62
Hornet28
Established Member
 
Hornet28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: muskegon
Posts: 15
M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
If you can't drive and park a long bed truck as a daily driver, you probably don't need to be towing a trailer anyway.
I can't believe how many people today think a long bed is huge. Out of all the trucks I've had since 66 only 1 has been a short bed. 3 have been crew cab long beds with two of those being duallies. I've parallel parked them all
__________________
07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, Idaho Rob EFI, DeeZee boards, 50 gal TransferFlow inbed tank

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #63
powerhaulic
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: piseco
Posts: 240
M.O.C. #20884
I don't understand why people are so hesitant to order a vehicle?
It allows you to get the exact tow truck you desire, this truck took 8 weeks to delivery. 6/27 order - 8/27 delivery
Plus you can usually get a better price, as it will not be on their floor planning......just saying
__________________
2020 AT4 3500 SRW Duramax SB
2018 Denali Duramax crew (traded)
2018.5 Montana 3811MS Legacy
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #64
waynemoore
Montana Master
 
waynemoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City AZ.
Posts: 1,811
M.O.C. #10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
I don't understand why people are so hesitant to order a vehicle?
It allows you to get the exact tow truck you desire, this truck took 8 weeks to delivery. 6/27 order - 8/27 delivery
Plus you can usually get a better price, as it will not be on their floor planning......just saying
Yep the only way to buy.
__________________
Wayne and Ann Moore
2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch
Firestone air bags, bed saver.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:32 PM   #65
powerhaulic
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: piseco
Posts: 240
M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
I don't understand why people are so hesitant to order a vehicle?
It allows you to get the exact tow truck you desire, this truck took 8 weeks to delivery. 6/27 order - 8/27 delivery
Plus you can usually get a better price, as it will not be on their floor planning......just saying
Neglected to add picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191030_142015.jpg (501.6 KB, 5 views)
__________________
2020 AT4 3500 SRW Duramax SB
2018 Denali Duramax crew (traded)
2018.5 Montana 3811MS Legacy
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #66
Irv
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hanover
Posts: 25
M.O.C. #19411
Overall Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
You certainly will have plenty of truck!


here is ours, 3500 standard box (now 6'9") tows like a dream.
Great looking rig! We have the same truck, hitch, RV. Curious if the RV over height increased in your situation?
Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #67
Cushing872
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: New Baltimore
Posts: 14
M.O.C. #24837
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
If you have a "slider" hitch and you are backing a 14,000# 5er into a spot at a 75+degree angle UPHILL how does that slider push that big old trailer back 14" UPHILL? Not getting smart with anyone here, just asking. I have a long bed and no slider hitch so I really have no idea how that would work.
The Pullrite Superglide does not pivot on the pin. Instead a plate is installed on the pinbox that has a u-shaped guide that fits into the top plate of the hitch. The hitch can rotate on all axisís. Once you reach a certain degree of turn, the hitch starts to travel back up to 14 inches of travel. You can easily do a 90 degree turn. The way itís built, it works. Been there done that up hill and down hill. I have a 2011 F250 with the Pullrite Superglide. Iíve towed two different 5ers with no issue.
Cushing872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #68
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 354
M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushing872 View Post
The Pullrite Superglide does not pivot on the pin. Instead a plate is installed on the pinbox that has a u-shaped guide that fits into the top plate of the hitch. The hitch can rotate on all axisís. Once you reach a certain degree of turn, the hitch starts to travel back up to 14 inches of travel. You can easily do a 90 degree turn. The way itís built, it works. Been there done that up hill and down hill. I have a 2011 F250 with the Pullrite Superglide. Iíve towed two different 5ers with no issue.
It's funny because I had just posted that question and then saw the rig parked next to me had a Pullrite and that man showed me exactly how it worked with the roller and the 2 channels to glide into. Problem solved once I saw it. Thanks for responding. Learned something new!.
__________________
Pete & Joan & "Honey" fur-baby.
2015 Montana 3611RL 2012 F350 6.7 DRW Lariat
Disc Brakes & Sailun 14 ply S637
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #69
powerhaulic
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: piseco
Posts: 240
M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Great looking rig! We have the same truck, hitch, RV. Curious if the RV over height increased in your situation?
Trailer is actually nice and level, was slightly nose high behind '18.


Lets see some pics of your rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191008_130924.jpg (417.3 KB, 7 views)
__________________
2020 AT4 3500 SRW Duramax SB
2018 Denali Duramax crew (traded)
2018.5 Montana 3811MS Legacy
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #70
packnrat
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: san andreas
Posts: 180
M.O.C. #21805
Post

if i can afford a new truck (the prices are stupid high).
but a cab-n-chassie, (better turning rad).
with a custom 6 foot bed, (looks like a factory bed, but rails are lower). and will have room to do a 90 deg turn.

but built on a long bed frame, storage box between the cab and bed.
standard cab with a craw in sleeper above the storage box, behind the window, (place for the dogs to sleep).
yes specked out as a long distance rv tow truck.


just need $100,000.00 usd for a down payment. as it will be a number of years before i need to buy a new truck. prices might be over $300K by then.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #71
JohnG
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Jose
Posts: 14
M.O.C. #21965
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post

So lets say somewhere in the middle at 14500lbs x 20% pin weight=2900lbs.
That's well beyond ANY 2500 truck and some 3500 SRW trucks.
I'm surprised beeje is the only guy to mention this. I see everyone always talking about trailer weight, but not many talking about hitch weight or pin weight. I'm going with a DRW long bed because I can't have a giant slider hitch in the bed, and even though my rig is only a 33' (Mountaineer 337RET), the listed hitch weight is 2270lbs. and that's dry. I know that's heavier than others but I'm sure most of us, by the time we load the rig up as well as stuffing the truck full, are pushing the payload limit or exceeding it, unless you're into 3500 and especially DRW territory.

A 2019 RAM Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed isn't even rated to handle my hitch weight.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #72
JohnG
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Jose
Posts: 14
M.O.C. #21965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I'm surprised beeje is the only guy to mention this. I see everyone always talking about trailer weight, but not many talking about hitch weight or pin weight. I'm going with a DRW long bed because I can't have a giant slider hitch in the bed, and even though my rig is only a 33' (Mountaineer 337RET), the listed hitch weight is 2270lbs. and that's dry. I know that's heavier than others but I'm sure most of us, by the time we load the rig up as well as stuffing the truck full, are pushing the payload limit or exceeding it, unless you're into 3500 and especially DRW territory.

A 2019 RAM Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed isn't even rated to handle my hitch weight.
I meant to say a 2019 RAM Diesel 2500 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #73
packnrat
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: san andreas
Posts: 180
M.O.C. #21805
other than that sticker on the door jamb.
Q: how many leos out there know the weight ratings of a 3/4 up to a duly 1 ton?
as long , short bed, style of cab, 4X4, motor, trani, etc.
not saying get away with what you can. just lots out there are towing beyond the “legal” limits.
but as a class A driver, braking is far more important.
ok so it takes you two football field lengths to get up to 30 mph. but you must be able to stop much faster.( aka: shorter distance).
i read so much here as to how much weight one can tow. but nothing about stopping... safely.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #74
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 2,177
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
other than that sticker on the door jamb.
Q: how many leos out there know the weight ratings of a 3/4 up to a duly 1 ton?
as long , short bed, style of cab, 4X4, motor, trani, etc.
not saying get away with what you can. just lots out there are towing beyond the ďlegalĒ limits.
but as a class A driver, braking is far more important.
ok so it takes you two football field lengths to get up to 30 mph. but you must be able to stop much faster.( aka: shorter distance).
i read so much here as to how much weight one can tow. but nothing about stopping... safely.
You haven't read any of my posts then!
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×