Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
MS 2018 Montana
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bromont
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #24475
Bent and flatten out axles w/worned out tires

Today 12:25 AMMS 2018 Montana
Hi everyone!
We have a 2018 3000RE Legacy package. After owning this Montana for just over a year, 12,000 miles later, we have two flattened out axles with two worn out tires (two inches on the inside of the back tires). We took it in to an expert axle replacement shop and they brought the axles back and replaced the bad tires. They told us that this was a temporary solution. for about 2500 miles. They said that what we really needed was "double-up" or reinforced axles. Have any one of you ever heard about double-up or reinforced axles? Will this solve my problem? I have already spent more than $1700. and don't want to go thru this again. Can anyone reccomend a good axle replacement shop near northern tampa, more specifically, Hudson, Florida? Thank you for all your suggestions and help!
MS 2018 Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master
 
jimcol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,867
M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I have had to replace both axles on mine in the 13 years we have owned it. First axle lost its' camber. I bent the second axle by hitting a post in a gas station. Original axles were 5200 pound axles. Should have carried my 5'er fine based on it's weight. When I replaced I went with 6k axles, they look the same but have thicker walls and give a little extra carrying capacity. Was on the road when I had the last issue. Shop doing the work in Fla. was quoted 14 days for deliverer of new axle. (Most axles for trailers are not off the shelf items but built with measurements for your specific trailer.) Called Croft Trailer in Kansas City, Mo. Besides other trailer work they fabricate and ship axles all over the country. With the measurements from the local Fla. shop they built and shipped the axle. 4 days later it was installed and we were back on the road. $384 for the new axle, $267 for the removal and install. Shipping was right at $100 IIRC.
__________________
2006 3000RK
2009 Ram 2500
jimcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pensacola (mail forward service)
Posts: 2,860
M.O.C. #13740
If you haven't checked to make sure the montana is level when towed, I would do that. Worn tires on the back axle could be also be aided by a slight nose high condition and more weight being shifted to the rear axle...in my opinion as they say.
__________________
2012 F350 6.7 L dually, 2013 3800RE with 6 pt leveling, Sumitomo 17.5" load range h tires, Samsung 18 cu ft residential fridge, 8k Morryde I.S. with disc brakes. Full timing since 2012.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
wecker1
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hahira
Posts: 124
M.O.C. #20840
Why wouldn't this at least be considered for warranty considering it's a 2018 unit? Just curious...
__________________
Wayne & Karen
2017 3791RD, MORryde SRE4000 w/ X Factor
2017 Ford F350 Lariat, CC, LB, PSD, DRW, 4WD, Curt Q24
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Fan
 
Daryles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Alton
Posts: 292
M.O.C. #24086
No matter who you get to do your axles, when they are done you may want to verify. Here is an interesting article
Axle alignment
https://www.centrevilletrailer.com/h...ler-tire-wear/
__________________
Daryl
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan
 
MidMOTraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Fulton
Posts: 398
M.O.C. #20688
If you’re pulling that many miles a year you might consider MZoRryde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes.
Not cheap but great system.
__________________
Wayne & Malinda
2018 Montana 3731FL
MORryde IS/DiscBrakes
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 1,353
M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
If you’re pulling that many miles a year you might consider MZoRryde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes.
Not cheap but great system.
This is the best solution to your issue. IMHO the old school suspension's that are still used are not up to the task of todays heavy RVs.

My unit already had disc brakes and is getting the IS next June.
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB. Curt q24.
2011 Montana 3455 SA. 6 point level up. Disc brakes.
Progressive EMS. Valterra tank valves. Sailun G637 tires. ARP fridge control. All led lighting. Mor Ryde IS to be installed 6/2020
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Sdgood1
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chino Valley
Posts: 135
M.O.C. #23720
I would double check that your not overloading it!! Just as a precaution put it on a scale when you have it FULLY loaded. Just food for thought.
__________________

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
MS 2018 Montana
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bromont
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #24475
When the rig is hooked up, we are very much level. I have had 7 different RV's and i know how important it is to be nice and level.
MS 2018 Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #10
MS 2018 Montana
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bromont
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #24475
Thank you for that!
MS 2018 Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
pacbj
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: St. Clair
Posts: 3
M.O.C. #23907
We have a ‘19 3750FL High Country. Had 2 blowouts in the first 8 months of owning it. Tredit covered the chinese tires and thats it. The warranty lady at Tredit said she saw uneven wear on the tires that were left and recommended an alignment. Keystone’s position is that alignments are maintenance and not covered. Even on a rig less than 8 months old! There’s older threads on the woes of poor trailer axle alignment on this forum if u search. If the axles are bowing though, nothing but replacement or beefing it up will help
pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 1,353
M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacbj View Post
We have a ‘19 3750FL High Country. Had 2 blowouts in the first 8 months of owning it. Tredit covered the chinese tires and thats it. The warranty lady at Tredit said she saw uneven wear on the tires that were left and recommended an alignment. Keystone’s position is that alignments are maintenance and not covered. Even on a rig less than 8 months old! There’s older threads on the woes of poor trailer axle alignment on this forum if u search. If the axles are bowing though, nothing but replacement or beefing it up will help
Fyi, NO RV manufacture aligns axles from the factory. They simply just bolt on the parts and send it on its way. Its hit or miss as to weather you will have issues or not.
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB. Curt q24.
2011 Montana 3455 SA. 6 point level up. Disc brakes.
Progressive EMS. Valterra tank valves. Sailun G637 tires. ARP fridge control. All led lighting. Mor Ryde IS to be installed 6/2020
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
davemitchell59
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tupelo
Posts: 82
M.O.C. #23524
Our 2017 3731FL is in the shop right now for the same issue. Hoping to hear the diagnosis this week, but all involved assume a bent axle based on inside tire wear on rear axle. We have 7k axles. Depending on whether warranty coverage, we may push for 8k axles as replacement. Others have upgraded their axles when this happens.

Good luck.
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
mazboy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,530
M.O.C. #9561
We've had the same issues on this trailer. Ended up just doing the I/S...we hope this is the end of the above issues.


Just a quick $6600 for those who want to look at it. You must schedule your appointment months out though.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #15
MS 2018 Montana
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bromont
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #24475
Thank you for all your replies but I still need some help. Some of you asked about my weight distribution...we had that checked and everything is perfect. The RV is not overweighted and when it is hooked up it is nice and straight. The fact is, this 2018 3000RE has two flattened out and bent axles. We where told by axle experts that we will need reinforced or what they call "double-up" axles. They say that that will solve our problems. Has any one of you ever heard of "double-up" axles?? I have talked to the Dexter people about the problem and they have agreed to send me two replacement axles. If these axles are the same as what I have already on my rig, I will have to start this process all over again in a year or so...not to happy about that! Should I have those axles installed or wait and get the MOR/ryde IS system?...not to thrilled about the idea of spending an other $7000! The rig is in Hudson, Florida right now and if we do decide to have the axles replaced, we will have it done in Florida. Can someone recommend a good axle replacement garage in the vicinity of Tampa (we are in Hudson which is North of Tampa)?
MS 2018 Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #16
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master
 
PNW Fireguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,045
M.O.C. #18081
I would honestly go the IS route. The price you mentioned in your earlier post is for both IS and disc brakes. Both are a worthwhile investment and contribute significantly to your safety.
__________________
2015 3440RL, legacy package, IS & Disc brakes, Sailun S637's, Onan Commercial Gen, 1200 Watts Solar, Midnight Solar Classic 150, Winston 700AH/8.4kwh LiFePO4, Winegard Trav'ler & Dish Hopper3, 2011 Ram 3500 CC Laramie DRW 4x4 4.10
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #17
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 1,353
M.O.C. #17894
Flat looking springs are somewhat normal. I replaced all mine and the new ones did nit look muck better.

My unit is getting the IS in June. I'm done with the old school suspension.
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB. Curt q24.
2011 Montana 3455 SA. 6 point level up. Disc brakes.
Progressive EMS. Valterra tank valves. Sailun G637 tires. ARP fridge control. All led lighting. Mor Ryde IS to be installed 6/2020
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:51 AM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northville, NY
Posts: 299
M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS 2018 Montana View Post
Thank you for all your replies but I still need some help. Some of you asked about my weight distribution...we had that checked and everything is perfect. The RV is not overweighted and when it is hooked up it is nice and straight. The fact is, this 2018 3000RE has two flattened out and bent axles. We where told by axle experts that we will need reinforced or what they call "double-up" axles. They say that that will solve our problems. Has any one of you ever heard of "double-up" axles?? I have talked to the Dexter people about the problem and they have agreed to send me two replacement axles. If these axles are the same as what I have already on my rig, I will have to start this process all over again in a year or so...not to happy about that! Should I have those axles installed or wait and get the MOR/ryde IS system?...not to thrilled about the idea of spending an other $7000! The rig is in Hudson, Florida right now and if we do decide to have the axles replaced, we will have it done in Florida. Can someone recommend a good axle replacement garage in the vicinity of Tampa (we are in Hudson which is North of Tampa)?
I'm curious as to just what you mean by "flattened out axles". Are you saying the axel tubes are crushed flat?
We arrived at our winter base couple of weeks ago and found one tire badly worn on the inside. I'm taking it in next week for what I expect is an alignment. As a result I'm sort of educating myself on suspension and very interested in this discussion. I'm a bit surprised that I could get that far out in just two years. As far as I can tell I don't see any damage to the axels or springs or anything and I'm not aware of hitting anything to cause damage other than the normal horrific conditions of our Interstates.
Also the thought of IS and disc brakes has entered my head but I'm not sure I want to lay out that kind of $. We are half timers and don't move that much. About 9000 miles in two years.
I really appreciate the knowledge base of this forum.
__________________
Jim B
2017 Lariat F-350 FX4, CC, SB, 6.7 PSD 4WD
2018 MONTY 3731FL, Residential Refer
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #19
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 1,353
M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I'm curious as to just what you mean by "flattened out axles". Are you saying the axel tubes are crushed flat?
We arrived at our winter base couple of weeks ago and found one tire badly worn on the inside. I'm taking it in next week for what I expect is an alignment. As a result I'm sort of educating myself on suspension and very interested in this discussion. I'm a bit surprised that I could get that far out in just two years. As far as I can tell I don't see any damage to the axels or springs or anything and I'm not aware of hitting anything to cause damage other than the normal horrific conditions of our Interstates.
Also the thought of IS and disc brakes has entered my head but I'm not sure I want to lay out that kind of $. We are half timers and don't move that much. About 9000 miles in two years.
I really appreciate the knowledge base of this forum.
That's flattened out springs, meaning the arch appears to be gone.
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB. Curt q24.
2011 Montana 3455 SA. 6 point level up. Disc brakes.
Progressive EMS. Valterra tank valves. Sailun G637 tires. ARP fridge control. All led lighting. Mor Ryde IS to be installed 6/2020
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #20
jcurtis934
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pensacola (mail forward service)
Posts: 2,860
M.O.C. #13740
In reply to Jim b, the axles should have a distinct upwards arch in the center. Any deviation of that, ie less arch, and you will notice that tires will wear on the inside edges. Also keystone never torqued u bolts on the axles, NOR did alignments in the factory. There have been many that noted these conditions when actually checked. With our axle setups, you must torque the ubolts to spec after the unit is built.
__________________
2012 F350 6.7 L dually, 2013 3800RE with 6 pt leveling, Sumitomo 17.5" load range h tires, Samsung 18 cu ft residential fridge, 8k Morryde I.S. with disc brakes. Full timing since 2012.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×