Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Slide Switches

Has anyone added Slide switches. I don't like only having one switch for four slides. Thinking about adding three switches. I realize you can turn three off. But I do't want to go outside and turn them off and on.If you have was a difficult thing to do.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have hydralic slides it's not going to be easy since you will have to control those outside switches from the inside somehow.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You will have to do a major re-plumbing of the hydraulic system in order to do this. All the slides are on one circuit, and the switch controls that one circuit. You would have to create three more hydraulic circuits, each controlled by one of the switches. The only practical thing to do would be to have someone outside that can turn off all but the one slide you want to operate, then turn on the next slide until it is out, and then the next and finally the last one. For retracting the slides, if you still want to do one at a time, you will have to do the same procedure. We have had our rig for over seven years and have never had a issue with the one switch moving the slides. We have had times when we only wanted to move one slide, and just turn off all the valves except what slide we wanted to move. When operating the switch, we can see all the slides, which normally move one at a time.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I wold think one could install an electric solenoid valve in place of the manual one in the level up control panel?

Mark
Old 10-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
As stated with the way the hydraulics are plumbed, one solenoid to control flow to all slide actuators , one switch to control solenoid open and send signal to dual polarity solenoid on hydraulic pump motor it would require major rebuild of system.

I also have a six year old all hydraulic slide system. If I want to open only a specific slide I simply close the manual flow control valve for that slide

It’s a reliable system as is, easy to troubleshoot if problems did occur..
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As stated by bob above, 12vdc operated valves can be installed in place of the manual selector valves that serve to allow us to control one slide at a time. Certainly would be some hydraulic work as extra manifolds and extra short hydraulic lines would have to be ran from level up panel to the added manifolds, and maybe even extensions on the lines that did go to the level up panel so that the manifolds could be securely mounted somewhere where you can still get to them for work when needed. Running the wiring wouldn't be that hard, cutting a hole in a wall for a new panel mount can be done, if done carefully so as to not accidentally cut any of the wiring going to the existing panel and any others ran in the way. Having a new panel made and labeled by a company that makes then can be done. It comes down to time and money...but if your need is great enough then someone with the hydraulic control knowledge can get it done.