Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 961
M.O.C. #14547
I need a better horn

Read that as a LOUDER horn.
Yesterday, leaf peepers were out on droves on I-87 (Adirondack Northway). Not once, not twice but three times at entry ramps I had to lay on the brakes pretty heavily (love those discs on our 5er) along with the horn while some numbskull s-l-o-o-o-l-y accelerates almost up to highway speed. I can't pull left as the traffic is too heavy. This happens all too often on this highway


OK, with that said, this interstate is the main North - South highway between New York City and Montreal plus the Adirondacks and also much of northern Vermont. This means we get all kinds of not always great drivers. I've lusted after a really loud horn that can maybe, just possibly bring these characters back to reality.


My Ford has very loud horns to begin with but am thinking a good aftermarket horn/train/air might work. Do any of you folks have a suggestion. I don't want long cab mounted trumpets, just something that's reasonably priced plus reliable.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
LoneStar
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 18
M.O.C. #24911
if youíre willing to mount the little compresssor and horns (under hood), there are a lot of (good and LOUD) optionsóbut it sounds like youíre wanting to avoid that (me, too)

I farm & ranch for a living. When we feed our cattle, we call them into the feed ground(s) by honking the horn. My grandfather started this many, many years ago; and as you know, tradition tends to run deep.
There are neighbors that use sirens & other gadgets to call their cattle, but we still use the horn.. we used to go thru a LOT of OEM-type horns, as we use it a LOT on feed days. We still wear a horn out far more quickly than the Ďaverage consumerí, but oh well... our cattle know itís me

I found this to be a good replacement, and itís ~considerably~ louder than OEM. Iíve found it to last a good while, especially under the paces we put it through:
https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-419-Bad-...161809&sr=8-11
__________________
2018 Montana HC 305RL; Sailun S637
2015 Chevy CC SRW 2500 dMax w/Firestone air bags, B&W Companion Slider Hitch
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Fan
 
Daryles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Alton
Posts: 292
M.O.C. #24086
Thats what i want too!!!
__________________
Daryl
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 4,953
M.O.C. #2283
Wont work. They would be in a mess and would haft to clean their shorts.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Fan
 
bshgto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hagerstown
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #16013
will know

After a couple near misses from the brain dead ones with the little hair knot on top of their heads driving the roller skate car their father bought for them. I went out and bought these, The Wolo Siberian Exspress train horn


,

There is no mistake they pissed you off.
Kit is sold with compressor else where.https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-847-Sibe...172757&sr=8-16
__________________
2018.5 3791 Rear Den Montana, on the lake
Electric Brakes ..... Disk Brakes, it`s the only way
2018 F350 Ford 6.7 Dually 4:10`s w/bags Top Dog (payload 5595 lbs)
Andersen Ultimate TrailAir Pin Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 961
M.O.C. #14547
Thanks guys.


WOLO is the name my CRS brain couldn't come up with. Now all I need to do is to see where one would fit since under the hood is probably out with lots of diesel enginge stuffing that area. Prices seem to go from not much to lots from what I can see, quick look on Amazon.



As far as having to clean up some old(er) geezer's mess. Not my problem - Depends, maybe needs to be on someones shopping list.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
prndl
Montana Master
 
prndl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 1000 oaks
Posts: 579
M.O.C. #19630
Here you go. 150db and an air compressor for your tires.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK5CLY6...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
__________________
2011 2955RL Reese Sidewinder 5th Airborne
2014 RAM 2500 CD Demco Recon Hitch
4X4 Crew Cab/Short Bed
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,530
M.O.C. #9561
https://www.google.com/search?client...horn+for+truck


there you go
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Montana Master
 
AZ Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 1,847
M.O.C. #20477
Horns seem to be an East Coast thing. Can't remember the last time I used mine.
__________________
Zack and Donna plus Millie
2018 Montana 3160RL
2012 F-250
"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #10
DebNJim B
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northville, NY
Posts: 299
M.O.C. #21158
Not all of us blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Horns seem to be an East Coast thing. Can't remember the last time I used mine.
I too am a "noreaster" but I use my horn so seldom that when I do I have to look for it. If I needed it quickly the issue would pass before I found it.

I do stay clear of the Northway this time of year. In fact right now I'm in North GA which is similar to the Adirondacks and enjoying their fall foliage. oh, did I mention it's warmer too?
__________________
Jim B
2017 Lariat F-350 FX4, CC, SB, 6.7 PSD 4WD
2018 MONTY 3731FL, Residential Refer
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 961
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I too am a "noreaster" but I use my horn so seldom that when I do I have to look for it. If I needed it quickly the issue would pass before I found it.

I do stay clear of the Northway this time of year. In fact right now I'm in North GA which is similar to the Adirondacks and enjoying their fall foliage. oh, did I mention it's warmer too?



If we lived in Northville/Sacandaga Lake, instead of 2 miles from I-87, I too would have little use for that road, use NY30, and seldom if ever need any kind of horn. The Northway was almost bumper to bumper yesterday at 11:30AM between Clifton Park and Saratoga.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
DebNJim B
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northville, NY
Posts: 299
M.O.C. #21158
I feel your pain Dave. That section especially can get very busy at certain times of day. Now if you really want some fun come on down and pull your 5er through Atlanta around 4pm on a Friday. That's when we usually come through after a week in Charleston. DW just shuts her eyes and does the prayin'.
__________________
Jim B
2017 Lariat F-350 FX4, CC, SB, 6.7 PSD 4WD
2018 MONTY 3731FL, Residential Refer
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 961
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I feel your pain Dave. That section especially can get very busy at certain times of day. Now if you really want some fun come on down and pull your 5er through Atlanta around 4pm on a Friday. That's when we usually come through after a week in Charleston. DW just shuts her eyes and does the prayin'.

Jim, I've had that fun along with more then enough other joyous big cities and their drivers to fill my needs. Itisn't getting any better nor will it in my and my kids and grandkids time.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
jcurtis934
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pensacola (mail forward service)
Posts: 2,860
M.O.C. #13740
Some mount them under the frame in an open area. One mentioned installing in a fender well.
__________________
2012 F350 6.7 L dually, 2013 3800RE with 6 pt leveling, Sumitomo 17.5" load range h tires, Samsung 18 cu ft residential fridge, 8k Morryde I.S. with disc brakes. Full timing since 2012.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
penra
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Sequim
Posts: 56
M.O.C. #24321
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Read that as a LOUDER horn.
Yesterday, leaf peepers were out on droves on I-87 (Adirondack Northway). Not once, not twice but three times at entry ramps I had to lay on the brakes pretty heavily (love those discs on our 5er) along with the horn while some numbskull s-l-o-o-o-l-y accelerates almost up to highway speed. I can't pull left as the traffic is too heavy. This happens all too often on this highway


OK, with that said, this interstate is the main North - South highway between New York City and Montreal plus the Adirondacks and also much of northern Vermont. This means we get all kinds of not always great drivers. I've lusted after a really loud horn that can maybe, just possibly bring these characters back to reality.


My Ford has very loud horns to begin with but am thinking a good aftermarket horn/train/air might work. Do any of you folks have a suggestion. I don't want long cab mounted trumpets, just something that's reasonably priced plus reliable.
Oh my word, YES! My horn is way too quiet for a big A$$ truck!
__________________

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #16
GregN
Montana Fan
 
GregN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 466
M.O.C. #6790
On the pricey side, but I have Hadley's mounted up under the passenger side of the truck. Took some doing, but only had the drill one small hole in the dash, so I can turn them on or off. They are wired into the main truck horn.
__________________
2006 Montana 3650RK with Improvements.
2014 Ford 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LB Dually & Hadley's.
GregN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Posts: 5,252
M.O.C. #6433
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
__________________
Bill & Patricia

2007 3075RL
2012 F350 SRW CC LB FX4 6.7
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
scottz
Montana Master
 
scottz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Mancos Colorado
Posts: 1,007
M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
I was thinking the same thing; as much as I would like to blast an air horn sometimes. I know when I hear one it scares the heck out of me.
__________________
Scott & Alta
2017 Montana 3160RL, Legacy, Onan 5.5Kw, Solar
2019 Ford F450 6.7 PSD
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 961
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I was thinking the same thing; as much as I would like to blast an air horn sometimes. I know when I hear one it scares the heck out of me.

Guys, go back and reread what I said in my OP. This has nothing to do with the slowpokes already on the road but to do with those that are day dreaming/texting/phoning/discussing the weather with your companion/recovering from last night while slowly wandering down an interstate entrance ramp and not merging at some reasonable speed, not 20-40 mph slower then the traffic already moving.


As far as anticipation - been doing this with a 5er since 1976 with, to date, zero fender benders so am well versed on that.


Those entry ramps in eastern Upstate NY and New England - well let's just say that way too many have obscured sight lines that don't give you much reaction time. While my speed is usually well under the speed limit, even disc brakes on all eight possible places still wont stop over 20,000 pounds very fast. That speed - I used to haul at 65-68 mph. With today's crop of drivers, I've reduced it to probably 55-60 and usually stay in the RH lane, of course complicating the issue



My desire for a louder horn is to bring awareness to those that are NOT paying attention entering my space on the road, not to blast them off the road..
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
49merc
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukie
Posts: 388
M.O.C. #6266
Loud Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
Well said.
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×