Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Securing your wheels

Over the years I have used wheel locks to secure expensive wheels from theft on some of my vehicles. We recently purchased a new Ford F350 with 20" wheels and wanted to protect them with wheel locks. I went to a local truck outfitter store, told them what I had and they ordered a set of McGard wheel locks (pt. #24019). When I got home and attempted to install them I found that they were not even close. The size and thread were good but my truck uses a flat washer between the lug nut and the wheel and these are cone shaped.
I contacted McGard and learned these are for "after market wheels', not original Ford wheels. They tole me they do not make a lock set for the Ford wheels and to contact Ford directly for their set, #3C3Z-1A043-AA. I looked up the Ford set and found they too are cone shaped!

SO, my question is.....does anyone have wheel locks on their truck, Ford specifically? And if so, where did you get them?

Thanks,

KT

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
I have an F350 also with 20" wheels that came with lugs that require the special socket adapter located in the glove box...
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If you remove the washer does the wheel accept the cone shaped lug?
jimcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Butchy, my lugs are just standard six sided lugs. I don't have any special adapters.

jimco, the washer is attached to the lug nut via a crimped spring at the rear of the lug nut. I wouldn't want to pry it off. And the wheel will not accept a cone shape nut. There is no recess for the cone.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
X2 what Butchy said, but I believe that only one lug nut on each wheel requires the adapter. That special tool/adapter is also required to lower the spare tire.
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Sounds like you have an option package that I do not. After reading through the owners manual I can find nothing about any Ford supplied wheel locks anywhere, on any Super Duty vehicles.

Securing my wheels isn't a priority but since I did order the locks, and ended up with something supposedly for the Super Duty wheels, but obviously is not, I am now on a 'mission' to find out why there's a discrepancy. I may just obtain four stainless steel flat washers to place against the wheels and go ahead and use those cone shaped locks. After all, they do require a special key and will make things very difficult for anyone wishing to remove my wheels.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
. I may just obtain four stainless steel flat washers to place against the wheels and go ahead and use those cone shaped locks. After all, they do require a special key and will make things very difficult for anyone wishing to remove my wheels.
DO NOT DO THAT. Tapered lug nuts/locks are not designed to snug to a flat surface. You will not get the right torque. NOT SAFE.
I know Ford has locks available because my previous truck, 2006 F250 with 20" wheels, came factory equipped with locks.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Got it JAB. I didn't really like that idea anyway. Maybe I will jest have to stop in and visit my local dealer and see what's what.

Thanks.

Tags
mcgard, wheel locks