Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Watch greasing the wheel zerks!

Just had our 2010 bearings repacked and the mechanic said I was using too much grease when I greased the easylube zerks on the axles. Needless to say he was amazed to find out that I had not done it to the new unit yet and that he was the first to see the seals. He said one more shot of grease would have blown out the seal.
Maybe a good idea to repack even the new bearings as this came from the factory full of grease.

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Was probably done by the service tech (kid) using an air powered grease gun when prepping your rig for delivery.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What makes you think it was a kid? It was probably the old-timer that was transferred from the tire installation because he was over-torquing the wheel nuts with the same air gun.

Some people I've seen don't realize that when an air gun starts clicking, you need to STOP IMMEDIATELY if you don't know what torque is set. I had to teach my brother that when he was using his air hammer to check the torque on his suspension bolts and kept snapping the heads off and these were Grade 8 bolts and I am no mechanic.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Just had our 2010 bearings repacked and the mechanic said I was using too much grease when I greased the easylube zerks on the axles. Needless to say he was amazed to find out that I had not done it to the new unit yet and that he was the first to see the seals. He said one more shot of grease would have blown out the seal.
Maybe a good idea to repack even the new bearings as this came from the factory full of grease.
Since you mentioned the zerk fittings and the possibility of too much grease, I'll add that you are exactly right. Do not, repeat do not pump in too much grease; you only need two pumps maximum to keep them greased. How do I know? I over greased mine and I no longer have the zerk fittings. When I asked a Dexter rep why they installed the zerk fittings when there is the mammoth possibility of over greasing, he said, "because you'll buy them."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Was probably done by the service tech (kid) using an air powered grease gun when prepping your rig for delivery.
I would tend to agree. Most of the RV techs I've seen are not the sharpest tack in the box anyway. I had the blower motor on the Dometic Penguin replaced earlier this year. I hear someone beating the heck out of something in the service truck. Walked around to take a look. The squirrel cage is bent to hell. He never even cleaned the rusty shaft before trying to drive it off. I would have offered my torch, but it was way too late then. The fan came off; the hub stayed on. Had to order a new fan, and guess who got the bill.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with what Orv said. Years ago our dealer told me I was putting in two much grease. He said "two pumps, once per year." I said but we're fulltiming and putting on lots of miles. He repeated, "two pumps, once per year." I obeyed and have had no problems.

Steve, thanks for the heads up. It's hard to know whether it was the factory or the dealer. I'd tend to think the dealer since the hubs, brakes, axles come from Dexter as an assembly and I doubt it's a Dexter problem. And I doubt Keystone pumps in any grease since it should be pre-greased by Dexter. That leaves the dealer. Just a guess, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Take it from me, to much grease and it WILL blow through the seal. I had a bent axle replaced last year and I told the guy while he was at it to grease the bearings and check the brakes. What he found was that I had blown through two of the seals and had gotten grease on the brake pads. His recommendation was to NOT pump grease through the Zerk fittings, but to just pack the bearings by hand every two years.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote