Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Seeking the wisdom of the MOC

I’m considering adding a light for the inside step which I want to automatically operate when the door is open. It appears that the newer models may already have this feature on them but ours has one dark step that has been noticed on many occasions. I’ve heard it called the death step and I can certainly understand why. I might even add one for the outside steps while I’m at it.

Our electric supply is directly inside the door just to the right. All of the wiring seems to go through this area including the 12 v system. For those of you who have done this I’m curious as to the easiest and best way to approach this project. It appears to me that if I drop the belly pan in that area I will be able to run the wiring so it will be out of sight.

I know there have been a few of you do this modification and any suggestions, photos or links are certainly welcome.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill N Donna,
Here is the light I put in the DEATH HOLE. At the Auto store I found two strips of blue LEDs (9 each to a strip). Later I changed to two strips of 3 each. Works great and not quite as bright.

I mounted a yellow light just like the one over the door above the folding steps.

Both lights are wired to one switch. I turn them on when we arrive and turn them off when we park the trailer at the house. So they are automatic because the are always on.

If I was doing it again I might use the LED rope lights that I installed under our kitchen counter.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
What I did was tie a small motion battery operated light from harbor freight under the steps.I tie it there before and after I roll the steps up or down.I stay at CG's for long periods of time so it's no big deal for me to do this.I'm sure you will get other ideas from other people but this was what I did cheap.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I did the same as Gary but I mounted mine on the inside to the left of the first step or entry platform as you enter the inside of the Monte. I got mine at Harbor Freight also. Infact, I even mounted a second one in the throne room and it turns on when you enter and doesn't wake anyone up in the middle of the night if you get up. On the entry light-- when the front door opens, the sensor catches the door opening and turns on the light. It can be turned on to shine constant, run off the sensor or even shut it off totally when traveling. It stays on approximately a minute or so, enough time to turn on the switch for any other lights in the Monte! It's a lot easier than running wires and installing a switch.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote