Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Has anyone used this chart?

Handy information
http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Yes, I have used it when I weighed at Bekins. Did it mid-day and the let me take all the measurements I wanted so I followed the whole chart. Now that we have had the rig a year, I want to do it again after we have added and moved things around.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Just what I was looking for. I want to weigh before I leave on my next trip.......Thanks
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Good deal!!
Thanks. It will be used, for sure.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Outstanding Chet, Just yesterday I was talking with a friend about how to get my rig weighed. Thanks

Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It's kind of similar to the one provided by the people who were weighing rigs at last years' fall rally. Great and important information to have!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Interesting that they caution against overinflation. Many people reportedly overinflate as a hedge against possible underinflation.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't think one should ever overinflate a tire's stamped maximum pressure rating. I actually inflate my tires to 80 psi even though 70-75psi would be okay for my rig's weight, so while this might be overinflating for my load, the tires themselves are not overinflated. Since the tires are not showing any abnormal wear I don't plan on changing it.

My TV on the other hand is a different story. If I keep the recommended 65psi (front) and 75psi (rear), then they don't ride flat bottomed when the TV is not loaded (a sign of overinflation per the current load). Then 60-65 all around seems to work fine. The tires are rated for 80psi.

I'd be curious to know if someone with concrete facts can post a reason to ever be allowed to overinflate past the tire rating (like ambient temperature extremes?). I don't think this exists.

I take that back. I have read that when storing a trailer for long periods of time, and one is unable to jack up the rig to prevent the tires from carrying the whole load for the duration, that the tires could be overinflated to allow for eventual air loss and to prevent flat spots on the tires. But immediately following will be statements to check inflation and to tow the trailer at proper inflation.

Since I store my trailer at the house, not on jacks and with the wheels in place, and the tires are overinflated "for my load", but still within the tire's maximum pressure, when I hitch up for a trip, I usually need no more than 0-4 lbs of psi. Then prior to a trip I recheck the RV/TV's tires and torque every time. Is this about what other's see and do? Does anyone ever overinflate while in storage or parked for extended stays (like you full-timers or long-timers)?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Over-inflate? Only on insurance and RV payments even while in storage :>)
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote