Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Battery question

When running a set of 4 6volt flooded golf cart battery's in
Equalization Mode do you remove the caps off the cells?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Here is the description form the Trojan Battery User Guide - caps on tight.

4.4.3 Equalizing (deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries only)

Equalizing is an overcharge performed after fully charging deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries. An

equalizing charge prevents battery stratification and reduces sulfation which are leading causes of

battery failure. Trojan recommends equalizing every 30 days or when batteries have a low specific

gravity reading after fully charging, below 1.235, or have a wide ranging specific gravity of >0.030 points

between cells. Reference Section 8.3 for instructions on specific gravity measurement.

Deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries should NEVER be equalized.

Equalization can be performed either automatically (as programmed on the charger) or by following the

procedure below:

îî Check the battery’s electrolyte level in each cell to make sure the plates are covered before charging.

îî Check that all vent caps are secured properly on the battery before charging.

îî Set charger to equalizing mode.

îî The batteries will gas (bubble) during the equalization process.

îî Measure the specific gravity every hour. Refer to Table 7 for specific gravity and voltage

measurements. Discontinue the equalization charge when the specific gravity no longer rises.

WAR N I N G Do not equalize deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
Here is the description form the Trojan Battery User Guide - caps on tight.

4.4.3 Equalizing (deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries only)

Equalizing is an overcharge performed after fully charging deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries. An

equalizing charge prevents battery stratification and reduces sulfation which are leading causes of

battery failure. Trojan recommends equalizing every 30 days or when batteries have a low specific

gravity reading after fully charging, below 1.235, or have a wide ranging specific gravity of >0.030 points

between cells. Reference Section 8.3 for instructions on specific gravity measurement.

Deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries should NEVER be equalized.

Equalization can be performed either automatically (as programmed on the charger) or by following the

procedure below:

îî Check the battery’s electrolyte level in each cell to make sure the plates are covered before charging.

îî Check that all vent caps are secured properly on the battery before charging.

îî Set charger to equalizing mode.

îî The batteries will gas (bubble) during the equalization process.

îî Measure the specific gravity every hour. Refer to Table 7 for specific gravity and voltage

measurements. Discontinue the equalization charge when the specific gravity no longer rises.

WAR N I N G Do not equalize deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries.
That's real good to know! Thanks
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
here is the link to the whole document. Good general info on batteries.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/Tro...UsersGuide.pdf

Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
here is the link to the whole document. Good general info on batteries.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/Tro...UsersGuide.pdf
Thanks everyone
Old 08-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
4 6 volt batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
When running a set of 4 6volt flooded golf cart battery's in
Equalization Mode do you remove the caps off the cells?
When running 4 6 volt batteries, where do you set the other two? Usually there is only room for two batteries in the battery compartment. Thanks.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
When running 4 6 volt batteries, where do you set the other two? Usually there is only room for two batteries in the battery compartment. Thanks.
You don;t say what year and model you have, but most Montanas have plenty of room for four, or even six, 6V batteries. If you have the generator prep you might be too tight for six 6V but four definitely should fit. I use the white plastic battery box for four of my batteries.

Here is a description the of the four 6V battery box and one of the places you can buy one. Clicky

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
You don;t say what year and model you have, but most Montanas have plenty of room for four, or even six, 6V batteries. If you have the generator prep you might be too tight for six 6V but four definitely should fit. I use the white plastic battery box for four of my batteries.

Here is a description the of the four 6V battery box and one of the places you can buy one. Clicky
Thank you for replying. I haven't purchased the Montana yet, but I plan on getting a new 3791RD. Still trying to sell my 2014 Alpine 39 footer. In my battery compartment it's only set up for two batteries and you would have to drill a hole into the adjacent basement area to add any additional batteries. Glad to hear that the Montana is set up to accommodate more than two. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
They warn you not to equalize agm and gel batts. Our converters do this automatically, so if I install agms how do I stop the converter from doing what it is programmed to do?
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
The progressive dynamics power centers with their charge wizard only charges at a max of 14.4V including its 15 min equalization mode once a day. That is the bulk charge voltage for AGM and Gel batteries so it should be OK, assuming that is the type of power center/converter you have.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #11
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Does the battery (front) compartment itself have outside vent(s)? If so, are they located?

Also if you are using 4 six volt batteries, which Century Plastics battery box is best and fits comfortably? The case that holds 4 batteries; two cases that hold two batteries each (side by side); or two cases that hold two batteries (lengthwise)? I'm asking because I don't have mine yet. The cases are linked below.

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...fm/4,5576.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,573.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,576.html
Old 10-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No, the battery compartment, which is the front storage area, and home to various electronic devices, does not have outside vents. The battery box which comes with the rig has lower and upper vent lines. You will need to adapt them to the replacement box (easy to do).

I use and recommend the 4 battery box. It fits easily is the available space and requires just one vent line which can be the same one previously installed by Montana.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
No, the battery compartment, which is the front storage area, and home to various electronic devices, does not have outside vents. The battery box which comes with the rig has lower and upper vent lines. You will need to adapt them to the replacement box (easy to do).

I use and recommend the 4 battery box. It fits easily is the available space and requires just one vent line which can be the same one previously installed by Montana.
Thanks for the information. If the front compartment does not have outside vents then where does the battery box vent to? Just inside the unvented compartment? I thought it had to be vented to the outside to avoid hydrogen buildup, or am I missing something?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The front compartment is anything but airtight. There are holes poked everywhere for landing gear, propane lines, hydraulic lines, and electrical. Never the less, technically there should be a dedicated vent for the batteries (yea I know some don't bother and with AGMs or Lithium, you don't need to) as the hydrogen gas doesn't play well with electronics. Montana will provide a 2" flex hose from the orifice on the top of the battery box to a dedicated exhaust port on the front wall above and to the right of the door. You just need to adapt that to your needs.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
The front compartment is anything but airtight. There are holes poked everywhere for landing gear, propane lines, hydraulic lines, and electrical. Never the less, technically there should be a dedicated vent for the batteries (yea I know some don't bother and with AGMs or Lithium, you don't need to) as the hydrogen gas doesn't play well with electronics. Montana will provide a 2" flex hose from the orifice on the top of the battery box to a dedicated exhaust port on the front wall above and to the right of the door. You just need to adapt that to your needs.
Ah, there it is. So there is an exhaust port already there. That clears it up. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Sorry just saw this, I have plenty of room, 2 sets of 2 6v batterys with 2 battery boxes and a 2000 watt inverter/charger. And I'm thinking of adding 1 more 100w solar panel and adding 2 more 6v batterys?? Plenty of room in my older 2952RL
Old 10-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Does the battery (front) compartment itself have outside vent(s)? If so, are they located?

Also if you are using 4 six volt batteries, which Century Plastics battery box is best and fits comfortably? The case that holds 4 batteries; two cases that hold two batteries each (side by side); or two cases that hold two batteries (lengthwise)? I'm asking because I don't have mine yet. The cases are linked below.

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...fm/4,5576.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,573.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,576.html
I bought 2 battery boxes at inter state each one holds 2 batterys and each one has a secure top that I drilled a 2" hole in each box top & bottom and I added a vent system. These boxes were about $75 each but they are better built then most.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Sorry just saw this, I have plenty of room, 2 sets of 2 6v batterys with 2 battery boxes and a 2000 watt inverter/charger. And I'm thinking of adding 1 more 100w solar panel and adding 2 more 6v batterys?? Plenty of room in my older 2952RL
Do you need a larger inverter with the extra batteries? The unit I will be getting comes with a 1000 watt inverter for the residential refer.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #19
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Do you need a larger inverter with the extra batteries? The unit I will be getting comes with a 1000 watt inverter for the residential refer.
No,not really? I bought the 2000 watt so we could be watching tv, make a bag of micro-wave popcorn (Which you might have a hard time doing with 1000 watt) and not interupt one or the other, also The wife likes her curling iron. I sometimes run a skill saw. The bottom line is no one really needs a inverter. This is my first solar system on any of my RV'S i've owned, but when you have one you need to figure your own needs, then decide about the size of your inverter.