Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
slide out awning cover

My 3295RK has a broken screw on the kitchen slide. The bracket is the one mounted on the side of the slide, has a hole in it to receive the rod that is attached to the slide roller itself. There is only one screw in each of the two (fore and aft) brackets. The screw in the forward position has broken the head off.

I am traveling in VT (TN is home) and I stopped by Pete's RV in Burlington. I did not have the trailer with me. I spoke with the shop mgr/owner andfound the whole place very pleasant. Pete's RV is a Keystone Dealer.

I was told I needed to do nothing. THe awning would not move, and the screws were not really necessary to keep the aawning from falling off. Said it happened all the time.

I will be home in 6 weeks and have a service appt already for maintenance and warrenty issues. I will have my dealer inspect and advise me.

My request is for advice if that course sounds reasonable. I will put nearly 1500 miles on the trailer before I get home.

Thanks to all

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Screws are there to prevent movement. If there were no movement then the screws would not have broken off. It seems to me those screws are there for a purpose and this should be fixed. This is a totally uninformed opinion but I sure cannot understand why the manufacturer would have provided screws and a place to put them if they were not needed.

We've had slide toppers on our Montanas since early 2001 and have never seen one break a screw.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I am with you, Screigle. The screws must be there to prevent the whole assembly from sliding fore and aft And Keystone would not bother with screws if they really aren't necessary.

I called Customer Service who said, of course, take it to a dealer to inspect. Both CustSer and the VT dealer said the screw was prehaps brokien at the factory from too much torque on an electric drill.

It seems logically to just drill a new hole and put in a new stainless steel screw.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
or use an "ease out" (screw extracor) to remove the broken one and replace with another.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote