Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Oops to my stairs

Well its not the first stupid thing I've done. But I went and hitched up and didn't put the stairs up.

Donna wanted to put a few more things into the Monty before we headed out. So I figured I would just move it up a few feet(like 20). I keep it next to the garage.

I was doing my walk around checking lights and things and thats when she said she wanted to put more stuff in. I can't blame her this was my own stupid mistake though.

I stopped my walk around. I have a tree stump that is only a few inches above the ground. The area is sloped downward towards the front of the house. I went around the back and jumped into the truck.

I pulled the camper forward about 5 feet and I looked out my right mirror and saw the bottom stair broken on the right side and sticking straight up in the air. It was an Oh (#%&?) Shoot moment.

I figured I'd get out the sledge hammer and re-pop rivet the stair into place. The support arms were bent so bad that the only thing I could do is remove the four bolts and use the camper without stairs.

A cooler placed outside door served as an interm step for the weekend. Not the most comfy feeling opening the door and not having three stairs.

Well when we got back. A trip to the new camping world was in order.
My first time in one of these stores. I called and got a price and to make sure if they were in stock. The price I was quoted over the phone was wrong but I was able to get the new stairs.

Needless to say when you get into one of these stores you end up spending more than what you initially went there for. We got a new patio mat and other miscellaneous items.

I'm not sure what you have to spend. But I did get a free ball cap thrown in. (not bad either 6 stitches on the brim) And of course signed up for the presidents club in the process.

I hope that's my only blunder for the 2006 camping season. I bet some people would differ.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Chris you have lots of company with those stairs. Quite a few of us have "been there, done that". As far a Camping World goes it can be hard on your wallet just to browse there. You never know when you'll find something you didn't know you needed.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sorry to hear about the stairs. But look at the Camping World visit this way - by purchasing in-store you don't have to pay shipping, and they always seem to have some specials! Gives you just that much more to spend on "goodies".
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just wished I lived near a CW. I love that place but when I order over the net from Canada, we are forced to pay a brokeridege fee that adds about 40% to the price .

Glad you only hurt the stairs and nothing else.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That mistake will cost you for years to come, now that you're in the know about Camping World. All those trips to "just look" can add up. I speak from experience.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OOPS!!! Just another part of the learning curve. Bet you won't make that mistake again.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Uncle Sam taught me to fly helicopters in 1969/70. One of (the many)things they beat into our heads was to use a check list each and every time. So, to this day...I still fly...and I still use a check list. I have made up several for the rv: inside, outside, hitch, winter storage, travel stuff (maps, gps, etc), and food.

There are two kinds of RVers, those that have forgotten something and those that will forget something.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Yes,you have to have a list and you have to be like Santa Claus, checking it twice.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We've all done our OOPS!! big and small. As far as Camping World, it's the rv'ers law; you have to belong. We were there yesterday. If you're really hooked; they will send you e-mails of what's on sale.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Chris, I have one also. When we owned our previous trailer, We only had 10 ft between house and fence. I pulled forward, not realizing the bedroom window was open (tipped out). It caught the roof on garage, and it was a $500 learning experience. We all do these things. I have other experiences, but will save them for a later time. Sorry to hear about your mishap! Nita forbids me to go to Camping World alone! Say hi to Donna from us.
Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
Hope you checked your frame for damage. We were just at a Fairbanks CG and there was a Cardinal there and he had had left his step down (not sure what he hit), he took it to an RV dealer and they called his insurance co. and said they would not sign a release for him to drive it off the lot because the main frame was busted, so he was waiting for a new rig to come in.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:37 AM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Chris sorry to hear about your oops and as you said "hope no more"! Saw you signed up for the Fall Rally, Betty and I look forward to seeing you and Donna there.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #13
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by krvk

Hope you checked your frame for damage. We were just at a Fairbanks CG and there was a Cardinal there and he had had left his step down (not sure what he hit), he took it to an RV dealer and they called his insurance co. and said they would not sign a release for him to drive it off the lot because the main frame was busted, so he was waiting for a new rig to come in.
Thanks for the tip about checking the frame. The plates that bolt the stairs on are 1/8inch cold rolled steel. The rear plate was bent 1/4 of an inch at the front. There was no damage to the square tubing on the left nor right. I did inspect the area. But I did not magaflux the steel of the frame. I can not see how the frame of the camper could of been damaged in this instance.

The guy with the cardinal must of suffered a high speed impact of some sort. The forces required to damage the frame are not what "I" experienced during my episode.

I am familiar with metal fatigue and have seen stress fractures in all types of material. I have done my share of welding (not on the Monty [yet]). My 150' antenna rides around on railroad tracks and has wheel bearings that are almost the size of our tires. This upcoming week we are doing annual inspection alignment and service on two wheels. Its a small facility and sometimes ya have tah get a little grease under the fingernails. It takes two 100ton jacks (only loaded to 50ton though) to raise the wheel for service.

I think I'll be taking a couple of weeks off around the rally. I think a stop in Hershey PA along the way might be good. Matthew said he might want to go for a few days not necessarily for the rally. He's talking of probably flying back to Manchester NH so he won't have to use all his vacation. We haven't actually worked out the logistics yet.

I hope everyone around here is healthy to be able to make the trip.

I'm looking forward to see the people we have met in the past and all the new people and faces that we have yet to meet.

Safe travels and great adventures.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
T and J
Established Member

M.O.C. #806
Yup. We all boo boo now and then. Start making your list(s)they will save you a lot of trouble. If you make lists on the computer and save it you can update it easily as time shows more items to add. If you also put your lists in plastic sheet protectors, you can use a grease pencil ( also called a china marker)to check off each item as you take care of them, then use paper towel to erase and re-use the next trip! Saves a lot of grief and head scratching!

Terry
T and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The bent stairs thing is something most all of us do. Don't know how many times the "checklist" has caught that. We modified the shape of our stairs on our TT by striking a large boulder (who put that there) We reshaped it with a very large sledghammer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #16
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Chris, I also bent up my TT stairs. Left them down and pulled out of our pole building and "OH #@!&!" Had to buy new stairs but could straighten out the garage door race will a tourch and a BIG hammer. It's quite a learning experence.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
89dually

M.O.C. #4960
Been their done that too. In '92, bought a new 28' Wilderness 5th, first trip out, left for home about 3am, didn't remember the big tree near the left side. Didn't feel it, or hear it (the long rip). Brother inlaw pointed it out to me the next day parked in my driveway. Some new siding and a rubber roof repair. Glad I had insurance. I try to NEVER move my RV in the night again.

I have a Camping World about 20 miles away. also known as a $100 dollar club.

'06 2955rl
'06 silverado D/A
89dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Those of us with steps near the rear of the trailer will eventually drag them on a driveway entrance as well. Mine have no paint left on the very bottom from being drug into gas stations and other areas.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote