Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
PROPANE QUICK CONNECT

Here is a picture of a Propane quick connect I just added to our Monty.
I find it real convenient to just plug our BBQ into the trailer instead of digging out the 20lb propane tank when just stopping for one or two nights. One came with our last 5er.
J & D

JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
JHSechelt - We have the identical connection added to ours as well. The dealer did when we took delivery. Its been great, because we have a big Camp Chef that we use for cooking at big family outings. It kicks out 90,000 BTUs and needs a connection that bypasses the regulator in the fifth wheel.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
John, that is a great idea and I would like to know where you bought the parts as this is something I would like to do on mine someday. Thanks again for that PM about your tires.
Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Don,
Picked up the parts at Traveland RV on the Langley bypass. I thought Camping World would have had them, but checked a few weeks ago when we were down in Washington State and they had no idea what I was looking for. The valve was about 35.00 and the rest of the parts only a couple of dollars. If you look at the picture I posted, the farthest away fitting was a Tee ,I replaced the elbow that was in the same spot ( going up to the Propane regulator by the starboard propane tank). In all took 20 minutes, and no cutting pipes. Picked up the Black Pipe fittings at Home Depot. You can not use the regulator the comes with the BBQ, as you are using the one on the Monty. We bought a smaller twin burner Broil King a few years back, I cut the legs in half, and made them so I could rejoin them in seconds, It all fits under in the basement, easy to get out and set up.
J & D
Old 04-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
John, I also added a quick connect to my unit, this one and the last one. I installed mine inside of the tank compartment. I just added some elbows with a gas cutoff and got a quick connect from Home Depot and hose in the BBQ dept. It is so much easier to used than carrying a 20lb. tank. I can still use the small containers if needed. I also can use the light under the front of the RV for cooking at night.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
Shane01638
Established Member

M.O.C. #4613
Where did you tap into? I bought one of those extended stay splitters from camping world. I talked to a propane salesman and he said it wouldn't work because grills require a high pressure system when an RV (after the regulator) is a low pressure system. If I tie into to one of the propane tanks before the regulator it will only work when that tank is selected right? I am assuming that the auto changover thing is the regulator...Thanks
Shane01638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I connected on the door side of the RV at the 90 degree elbow going to the other side of the camper. On this unit my regulator is on the other side. The salesman is right about the you need unregulated pressure for your BBQ grill because it has its own regulator.
I put a Tee joint where the elbow was, connected the tank to one oulet and put the gas cutoff on the other oulet and then on the quick connect. Make sure you use yellow teflon tape for gas connections, not the white for water.
The only other connection you will need is the adapter to connect to the grill where the portable bottle usually connects.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Cool idea! How do you keep the disconnect clear and clean when it appears to be exposed under the trailer.
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shane01638

Where did you tap into? I bought one of those extended stay splitters from camping world. I talked to a propane salesman and he said it wouldn't work because grills require a high pressure system when an RV (after the regulator) is a low pressure system. If I tie into to one of the propane tanks before the regulator it will only work when that tank is selected right? I am assuming that the auto changover thing is the regulator...Thanks
Correct. I have the same setup for our grille as you do. Mine connects to the tank on the door side. The hose from the regulator then attaches to that. The other hose goes to the grille connection.

I'd like to go with the solid pipe as is described in this thread but I also use mine with a connector for a 100lb external propane bottle when we spend NOv/Dec in winter weather. I need that bottle flowing into the regulator and the solid pipe is after the regulator. So I guess I'll stay with my current setup rather than having one setup for the grille and another for the external bottle. I like the solid pipe idea, though.

Do those of you with the solid pipe dismantle the setup when not using it or do you cap the end to keep propane from spewing out should someone come along and turn the valve handle?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
John & Kristi

My last unit had a little rubber/plastic boot that slid over the quick connect fitting. I'll find one for this one somewhere, until then I'll us some poly and a rubber band or twist tye to keep it clean.
J & D
Old 04-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Shane01638

I tapped into the 1/2" black galv line (trailer side of regulator) Follow rubber line from regulator to galv line that goes to the bottom of the trailer, At the bottom of the trailer there was an elbow (just below the right side propane tank), I took that out and put in a tee. One side of the tee goes to the rest of the trailer and the other side goes to the quick connect as shown in my first post. If the regulator can run a 50,000 btu furnace, water heater and oven, it will run the standard BBQ. Works good with ours anyways, maybe 35,000 btu. The quick connect comes out the curb side of the trailer just back from the propane door, nicely under the awning, so let the rain keep coming.
Hope this helps.
J & D
Old 04-11-2006, 02:06 AM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
My setup is installed inside of the tank compartment, but this unit has a different setup than my 2000 model. I put a shutoff between the pipe and quick connect. I used one of the tee's that connected to the tank, but I wanted something with a shutoff. The valve on the extend-a-stay is spring loaded and I was leaking gas sometimes.
Any of these setups will use gas from one tank only due to using gas before the regulator. The tank selector switch has no effect.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #13
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I tapped into the line going to the fridg and stove for my RVQ hookup.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
jrjoes,

Can you take a picture of the RVQ rails that are bolted to your coach? And, where did you mount the rails?

Thinking seriously of purchasing an RVQ II.

Thanks,
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote