Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
Brand new 3901RK refrigerator poorly installed by Montana, has destroyed our kitchen

We have not made our 1st payment on our custome 3901RK Legacy full body paint, 5500k gen-set, 2nd trip out 3 hours from home stop to check everything and find our refrigerator on its Face kitchen destroyed and good old Keystone Montana says sorry well fix it, poor workmanship, patch up the countertop, drawers, base cabinet, doors, trim pieces and laminate flooring and refrigerator making funny noise and dented up.
As a good will gesture will extend your warranty 2 months and give up to $500 for fuel.
Really, $166,000 you made off of me and this is all you want to do! Boy customer service outdid themselves on this one.

boilerbilly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC.

Are you saying they did the repairs and didn't replace the fridge? When you say patch, did they do a good job patching?

If not don't settle. Tell them what you expect! It's brand new. I can't see them paying you off and not repairing the damage. Where did you have the repairs done. This sounds like another dealer problem.

Keystone doesn't pay well for warranty repairs so dealers do the minimum unless you force them and don't except shoty work.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I agree with Foldbak (above). Your post is not real clear. Has the repair been done, but not to your satisfaction?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #4
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Welcome to the MOC.

Are you saying they did the repairs and didn't replace the fridge? When you say patch, did they do a good job patching?

If not don't settle. Tell them what you expect! It's brand new. I can't see them paying you off and not repairing the damage. Where did you have the repairs done. This sounds like another dealer problem.

Keystone doesn't pay well for warranty repairs so dealers do the minimum unless you force them and don't except shoty work.
This just happened Thursday morning, 8Jun23, (x-navy)
So nothing has been done by anyone except keystone blowing us off, by patch I mean thats all they will do for us. Patching it up. We didn’t buy from a outlet center we paid for a cream of the crop unit, our retirement unit and they just say poor workmanship on their end, well dah! And they think its okay? Were just starting this fight.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:44 AM   #5
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
See pictures on google review
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/...,-79.860994,5z
Old 06-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm still not clear on what's going on. Is Keystone agreeing to fix the counter top, "REPLACE" the dent on the refrigerator, fix the hum and repair any damage to anything else that happened. Or are they saying, "no" this is all on you. Here's $500 for your problems.

I'm still confused.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:05 AM   #7
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
This just happened Thursday morning, 8Jun23, (x-navy)
So nothing has been done by anyone except keystone blowing us off, by patch I mean thats all they will do for us. Patching it up. We didn’t buy from a outlet center we paid for a cream of the crop unit, our retirement unit and they just say poor workmanship on their end, well dah! And they think its okay? Were just starting this fight.

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will
Old 06-14-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
"Patch" is a pretty broad term. It can actually mean anything. If the work is being done at the Keystone factory, it will probably all be repaired. If you are expecting a new camper out of this, that's something that will never happen. Warranty work will fix the problem. It may fix additional damage too.

If Keystone is agreeing to "fix" the refrigerator, "fix" the damage the fall caused on the cabinets, floors and anywhere else, they are doing the best they can. The damage will be fixed. It's "patched" yes. I think that is just a word for semantics.

Actually, if everything is going to be fixed, then their $500 offer and extended 2 month warranty is a pretty good offer. Granted, it means inconvenience for you, not having the camper. But still, Keystone is attempting to make good on it. What more do you want?

Give Keystone a chance. If you purchased a new car and the wheel fell off, you'd be equally as mad. But the manufacturer will "patch" the repair and get the car up to standard again.

EVERYONE, and EVERY camper made has issues. None are perfect, regardless of how much they cost. They all have failures and usually those things turn up in the first or second trip with them. Be patient. Give Keystone a chance to do the right thing.

Word of advise... be sweet with them. From past posts about camper failures and brass people dealing with dealerships and manufacturers, "they" will not deal nice with you, if you are not nice with them. Honey goes a lot farther than vinegar.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:19 AM   #9
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
I must be the only one thats thinking "how does this even happen".
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
update, quote on repairs 25 hours Min. Labor, all new kitchen requested, including new refrigerator. now we'll see what Montana chooses to pay for .
also shop wanted to remount refrigerator bracket but couldn't because there is nothing behind wall to screw into. Imagine that?
Montana has really steped up there Q.A. Game
Old 06-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #11
Wayner197
Established Member

M.O.C. #21715
At a minimum everything that was damaged should be replaced, including fridge, island, floor and a complete rebuild of the back walls that are supposed to hold the fridge tight. Don’t settle for anything less than this.
Factory should do the repairs not the dealer in this case. Best of luck with this.
2015 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke SRW
Wayner197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:14 PM   #12
Scootsk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23929
Give Keystone a chance. Their definition of patch may be very different from yours. You might none pleasantly surprised. While it should never have happened in the first place, all industries suffer with poor employees. The person responsible for anchoring the fridge is to blame, not the entire company. I wish you luck in your repairs. Please share the end results
Scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #13
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Par for the course

What happened to you sounds like par for the course for Montana manufacturing quality. I know a number of friends who have bought Montanas in recent years as well as myself and they have been producing way below anything you could call quality. I’ve stopped, singing the praises of Montana’s quality which was hard earned in the past few decades. Now, anything goes to get it out the door – at least that’s my impression.
I wish people would stop defending Montana quality because it’s just not there.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:42 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Is there anything out there with "Good Quality"?? DRV used to be one of the Gold Standards, I here they're not much better than anything else now.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:57 PM   #15
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
What happened to you sounds like par for the course for Montana manufacturing quality. I know a number of friends who have bought Montanas in recent years as well as myself and they have been producing way below anything you could call quality. I’ve stopped, singing the praises of Montana’s quality which was hard earned in the past few decades. Now, anything goes to get it out the door – at least that’s my impression.
I wish people would stop defending Montana quality because it’s just not there.
Our 1St 5th wheel was a forest river wild cat 28BH, it wasn’t but 27k brand new in 03, never a minutes trouble, traded on Montana in 2018. Nothing but trouble, on trade we got almost all of our money out of it but we had to stay in Montana which I was totally against. Wife loved new layout so in we went to Legacy package & full body paint thinking if we special order it would be carefully put together! Well that didn’t happen and now I’m out of 1 Montana riddled with issues into another piece of JUNK!!!!!!. No keystone or Montana phrases here. It’s repair and Trade!
**** keystone and Montana, I’m going to take a loss but I will run them into the ground with proof to back it up, (FOREVER)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:03 PM   #16
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbilly28 View Post
Our 1St 5th wheel was a forest river wild cat 28BH, it wasn’t but 27k brand new in 03, never a minutes trouble, traded on Montana in 2018. Nothing but trouble, on trade we got almost all of our money out of it but we had to stay in Montana which I was totally against. Wife loved new layout so in we went to Legacy package & full body paint thinking if we special order it would be carefully put together! Well that didn’t happen and now I’m out of 1 Montana riddled with issues into another piece of JUNK!!!!!!. No keystone or Montana phrases here. It’s repair and Trade!
**** keystone and Montana, I’m going to take a loss but I will run them into the ground with proof to back it up, (FOREVER)
praises Not phrases, proof reading should be done 1st.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:07 PM   #17
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
Good luck on that I am sorry for your trouble,but this industry they build **** and sale it like gold never ever is going to change they build 20 a day you think is any quality control pdi is a joke it will take a class action lawsuits to fix this but people buy them like crazy they will neVer change my is 2019 I have to replace the floors already.
Rv industry Bulding **** sale it like gold
Milijose@embarqmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:14 AM   #18
leahbill
Established Member

M.O.C. #21989
We are also having trouble with our 3901RK. Our first trip out every door bin but 3 were destroyed. Damage to vegetable bins and shelf above bins.

We posted our problems on the Montana Owners Facebook page with pictures.
My post was not derogatory but factual and asking others if they had the same problem. Less than 12 hours later I was contacted by Keystone, asked to take my post down. I am waiting to get the door bins to arrive. In the fall we will be dropping our RV off to be looked at. We can't do it until then because we are traveling for July and August.

Other than the fridge I love this model.
leahbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #19
boilerbilly28
Established Member

M.O.C. #32311
Did your fridge hit the ground yet?
Old 06-20-2023, 12:11 PM   #20
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahbill View Post
We are also having trouble with our 3901RK. Our first trip out every door bin but 3 were destroyed. Damage to vegetable bins and shelf above bins.

We posted our problems on the Montana Owners Facebook page with pictures.
My post was not derogatory but factual and asking others if they had the same problem. Less than 12 hours later I was contacted by Keystone, asked to take my post down. I am waiting to get the door bins to arrive. In the fall we will be dropping our RV off to be looked at. We can't do it until then because we are traveling for July and August.

Other than the fridge I love this model.
I believe this problem starts with the refrigerator being a residential refrigerator not an RV refrigerator. We had similar, albeit not as traumatic as having all door bins break, with our GE residential frig. We found that if we do not load up our frig on travel days that our bins and shelves stay in place. We've seen overweight problems in our house refrigerator that doesn't bounce around constantly while on the move.

OP, I hope Keystone makes it right for you and that you are checking all your nuts, bolts, and other fasteners.
2021 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, Airlift 5000, PullRite Superglide #2315
Sr. Oso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3901rk refrig. on ground