Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Mor/Ryde X - Factor

I had Mor/Ryde install the wet bolts and heavy duty shackles a few months ago and while greasing them I noticed that the spring hangers appear to be only 3/16" thick. I have larger (thicker) spring hangers on my light weight boat trailer. The spring hangers appear to be the weak link in the suspension system, IMHO. Therefore, I am investigating installing the Mor/Ryde X - Factor reinforcing system for the spring hangers. I have researched and have not found anything else that will reinforce the existing system, other than replacing the entire suspension. I have two -(2) questions: (1) Has anyone installed the X- Factor themselves? (2) Is this an effective system and worth the investment? Looking for opinions.

Regards, Steve

nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nowinter

I had Mor/Ryde install the wet bolts and heavy duty shackles a few months ago and while greasing them I noticed that the spring hangers appear to be only 3/16" thick. I have larger (thicker) spring hangers on my light weight boat trailer. The spring hangers appear to be the weak link in the suspension system, IMHO. Therefore, I am investigating installing the Mor/Ryde X - Factor reinforcing system for the spring hangers. I have researched and have not found anything else that will reinforce the existing system, other than replacing the entire suspension. I have two -(2) questions: (1) Has anyone installed the X- Factor themselves? (2) Is this an effective system and worth the investment? Looking for opinions.

Regards, Steve

I will fabricate my own braces, but yes I think they will help take the twist out of the frame ,and hanger brackets. I think the issue is the twisting of the frame in the suspension area, and the braces will eliminate a lot of that. what troubles me more is the poor looking welds in the suspension area, yes the hangers are only 3/16, but the welds worry me more. Eliminating some of the stress, and side motion will certainly help.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I had the rear and front spring hangers welded up with 1/4 " and then added a gusset ahead and behind the 1/4" plate .. in other words you can weld the rear spring hangers on the rear and the front spring hangers welded on the front and then add a 6" gusset to help this ;;;if you are at goshen look me up or look up----- bob---
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
"Sailer"; We will be at the Rally and will look you up. We are both excited about the Rally, we have never been to one. I think you posted pictures a while back and the work looked very professional. Who designed the repairs and was work done by a certified welder?

Regards, Steve
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Sailer,

I'd like to take a peek at your mod at the rally as well, if you don't mind.

Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
You both are next in line to see what i had done and yes it was a certifed welded in a shop in the north of wis but they do a lot a contract work and run to canada every other weekend and his words were if we took your montana to canada on the rds they drive it would come home with no wheels under it ,, ,,it would be draging on the frame ..now i feal lucky as i can do anything in a parking lot and not worry;;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote