Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2004, 05:16 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Dual Propane Tanks

This has probably been discussed before, but reading some topics here reminded me of a situation I had this summer and forgot to ask.

I have the the dual tanks, one on each side of my rig. There is a "thingy" that controls which tank it pulls the propane from. We keep one bottle shut so to have no surprises as so when one is empty. But when you take off the empty bottle to go fill it, that "thingy" cannot shut off the propane from just running thru the hose. Isn't that what it's for is to regulate? Maybe I'm using it wrong. But I couldn't find anyother way but to hook up a spare bottle to the empty side while we ran to get more propane, otherwise the propane just keeps running thru the hose.

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:25 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Believe you have the 'automatic' regulator that switches from the 'empty' bottle to the full one 'automatically'. Just topped off my in-use bottle a couple of weeks ago and had the same situation occur. The dealer simply moved the little valve handle to the 'up' position (i.e. not pointed to either input hose) and that fixed the problem.

I do question why you'd be getting propane coming thru if you have the other bottle closed.

Regardless, just re-read the manual for mine and it implies that when you have both bottles open, when one empties, the regulator will automatically swich to the full bottle. Move the regulator handle from the emply bottle to the full (now in use bottle) and take your empty and have it filled. Appears that the regulator is supposed to close that line off so that you don't get any leakage.

Hope this helps.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:35 AM   #3
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

Hope this helps.
So, if I understand you, when I have the empty bottle, I put the regulator in the up position and there should be no propane running thru the lines??? Is that correct?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The "leakage" may be just the residual gas that is trapped in the 1/2" cross-over pipe between the two sides. If that is the case, it should stop after a short while. The basic idea of the regulator is to automaticly switch to the other tank when one goes empty so that you don't wake up to a cold trailer. By keeping one tank closed, you are losing the benefit of that feature. (But you do need to check from time to time to see if the tanks have swiched over, and take the empty one for a refill.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:58 AM   #5
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
I know about the feature benefit, but don't want any surprises of running out of propane either. If I think about it this weekend I will check it out and leave it longer to see if the fuel stops. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #6
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
When both bottles are on and you have propane the indicator should be green in th automatic change over valve. After the first bottle runs out the indicator should turn red indicating that the bottle that the indicator handle is pointing to is empty. When you go to change the bottle that is empty tun the handle to the bottle that has gas in it and it should not allow gas flow to the one that is being removed. Hope this helps clarify the operation.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
See, I mis-understood how this works. I thought that it pulled propane from both tanks, not one at a time. I am still confused but when we go to Florida in February I will attempt the correct use of the regulator.

But, shouldn't it still be able to shut off without having to put a spare tank on in order to avoid putting out propane?? If I understand it correctly that is the up position.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
When a bottle runs out just switch the knob to the other bottle take the empty get it filled no need for a spare!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 AM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

When a bottle runs out just switch the knob to the other bottle take the empty get it filled no need for a spare!
I tried that, but then again I was running it my way, and the propane just poured out. Maybe I didn't allow it enough time to escape the lines.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:34 AM   #10
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sue, that's probably the case since the bottle that You disconnected hadn't actually run empty.

Just leave both bottles on, the lever is pointing to the supply bottle and the other is the spare. When the indicator goes from green to red than it is drawing from the spare. Flip the lever to the spare bottle, it becomes the supply. Disconnect the empty one, refill it then reconnect and turn it on slowly. This bottle is now the spare and You start all over again.
If You ar eusing a lot of propane then chack the indicator daily to see if the valve has switched over.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, is there a chance maybe you're pointing the handle on the regulator to the wrong one and that's why you're getting propane coming out of the hose? There may be a little but should be only a very little come out when done correctly, unless there's a problem with the regulator. The long part of the handle is really the part that points to which tank is "active". To me it seemed that part should be the tail on the arrow so the other end was pointing at the tank. But it's the long part that points to the line from the active tank. Hope that's not real confusing.

Like the others said, we keep both bottles open. when the active tank is empty the red flag pops up on the regulator. I then flip the handle to the other bottle, close the valve on the empty one, then remove it for refill. I just let the open hose from that bottle hang there while I get the tank refilled and I do not lose anything when removing the hose. Maybe a tiny bit that's sitting in the hose between tank and regulator but that's all.

When that first bottle goes empty the regulator will allow propane to flow to your appliances from the other bottle even though you've not flipped the switch. That CAN allow you to empty both bottles if you don't watch for that flag. I personally got tired of opening the propane locker every few days to check that flag. Remember we're fulltiming so this is an ongoing thing, especially in winter when we use more propane. So I installed a 'remote changeover indicator' in our bedroom. It attaches to the existing propane regulator. When a tank goes empty, a light flashes in the bedroom. I no longer have to go outside to check for the red flag. But I do have to go out and flip the handle when that light flashes. Here's a url to show you what I installed. I see the price has increased a buck, to 35.95.
http://www.camperschoice.com/Product...owestprice=Yes
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:44 AM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sue:
Looks like things got a bit too out out of sequence for the "thingy" (the regulator) to operate correctly.

Try this...regulator handle (the long black part) pointing to the rear of the rig...that puts the bottle in that compartment in operation as the primary supply bottle. Think of the long black part as the "pointer". Both bottles should have their individual valves open. When the selected supply bottle runs out of propane, the pressure differences between it and the other bottle will cause the regulator to switch over so as to use propane from the bottle in the other compartment, on the other side of the rig. The only indication of this will be the green indicator at the top of the regulator has turned to red.

Whenever (in a day or so) you notice that the indicator has turned red, simply move the selector (the long black handle on the regulator) to point to the "other" bottle. That is -long black part forward -to select the bottle on the passenger side. The indicator will change back to green.(that may take a moment or so). You may now close the valve on the empty tank, unscrew the regulator hose connector from that tank, and take it away for refilling. You may get a very minor "whiff" of propane at that moment, but it is only for a moment. When you get that tank refilled, connect it to the regulator, open its valve, and do nothing else. When the tank on the passenger side runs out in a few days/weeks, the regulator will automatically switch over to use the refilled bottle, and the little green indicator will change to red again. When you notice that happening, again move the long black lever on the regulator to point to the new tank. The regulator indicator will again change from red back to green.

How often to check the regulator indicator? If not using the furnace, and not using the propane for hot water, we find we get at least several weeks from one bottle. I check the indicator once a week under that situation. If you are using furnace heat and propane for the water heater, I check the indicator every other day, or every day if we are in really cold weather. We find our absolutely worst consumption ever was about 4 days per tank in very cold weather. And, as "full timers" we heat a larger rig than most.

If none of this works, turn both bottle valves to off, remove them both and refill both. Reinstall them, and start all over as described above. With a stove burner on, it may take several minutes to get air out of the propane lines until the burner will iight and then everything should work normally.

I had a problem several months ago with a sticking regulator and it was replaced under warranty. That is very unusual, however.

Hope all this grotesque detail helps.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent explanation, PJ. When we were weekending with one annual vacation per year a bottle would last us over a year. But about the only thing we used propane for was for the water heater and maybe the furnace a time or two at each end of the season. Worst case for us while fulltiming in cold weather was 3 days per bottle. But we keep it reasonably warm (we like to be comfortable!) and that was in very cold weather. We're currently hooked up to an external 100 lb bottle. I'm expecting it to be empty any day now. Today is 11/26 and we hooked up to that bottle on 10/20. The next month will, however, see us use propane at a higher rate, no doubt.

I really like the inside indicator that tells me when that red flag has popped up. No more do I have to venture out in the cold to check the flag.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
What about those of us who are color blind? Seriously, can you tell readily the difference between the colors? We had a Prodigy brake controller on our TT and you had to adjust the level based on color change of a diode and even my non-color blind wife couldn't help. We have been doing it the hard way because we never wanted to end up without propane. So, I never taught myself the proper way. This was very helpful. Thanks, Sue, for asking the question and for everyone that did such a great job explaining it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:00 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron and Terrie, I'm also somewhat 'color challenged'. I used to keep a flashlight in the propane locker, one big enough to wedge in on the non-open-bottom side. With the flashlight the colors were very clear for me.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, Steve, I'll give it a try.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:29 AM   #17
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If the color change is not discernable to You then I would suggest getting the remote indicator like Steve has.
When You get a bottle refilled most of the time it is a flat fee and not by gallons so if there is propane left in the bottle, the store is making out.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:48 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, the quick and easy way to check to see if you can see the color is to flip the regulator lever to straight up. That immediately changes the indicator to red.

I did this this morning to make sure my inside indicator was working because I expected to run out of propane in this 100lb bottle last week and haven't run out yet. I flipped the switch, saw the red indicator come up then went inside and made sure the light was blinking. It was.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #19
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi,
while you all are checking your propane tanks, you might take a moment and spray the connections where the iron pipe goes to the brass fitting with some windex. if you have the slightess leak you will see bubbles when you do this. if you see bubbles, take her back to the dealer and have the fittings properly sealed ... i found on mine that there was never any sealant applied to the steel to brass connection, hence they worked loose and leaked
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grey-ghost, thanks for tip. We do have a tiny leak on the curb side. I can occasionally get a whiff. I've never been able to find the leak using the soapy water technique nor my electronic sniffer. I did check around the iron pipe connections. I'll try windex soon as it warms up a bit outside. Thanks.