Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Montana_5225

M.O.C. #5225
washer/dryer combo

My husband & I will be purchasing a Montana in the near future and I was wondering how durable the washer/dryer combo is or would it be smarter to have that space for storage as we will be full timers. We are in the looking stage right now as we don't retire until 2007. Any comments?
Thanks

Montana_5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
As we are full timers--we have learned to love our washer and dryer.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Opps! I forgot to welcome you new folks to the forum. Keep us posted on your travels.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
We have been full time since July and I knew from the begining I wanted a washer & dryer. I knew I would not want to spend one or two days a week in the laundry room. We got the stackable washer, dryer and have been very happy. On the other hand I know people that don't mind going to the laundry and wanted the space. Some of it depends on the size of your unit and what you like to do. I like to have my coffee in the morning and relax while I do my laundry and get ready for the day.
Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We don't have the washer/dryer combo. We have learned that there are a lot of RV parks that frown on the use of washers in the rig. They use a lot of water and a lot of parks are on their own septic tanks and leech fields. If a lot of people are using washers, the tanks and leech fields become overloaded.

My wife prefers to wash at the laundromat. It gives her the opportunity to meet more people. We use the area designed for a washer and dryer as a storage are for the vacuum cleaner, brooms, BATHROOM SCALES,and hanging of coats, and other things.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As has been iterated before, it is a matter of preferences and priorities. Everything in the limited space of an RV is a trade-off. We decided to trade that closet for the stacked unit and the convenience of easy access to laundry management. It does make sense to me to use the site laundry facilities to make social contact.

Being in charge of our own schedule rather than queuing up to take a turn is a high priority for us. We choose to make other opportunities for developing social contacts such as evening walks and community events.

That is not to say our way is THE way. It is simply our preference. If I were in your position, I would listening to all the comments and then determine what is important to you. That is what is so great about the livestyle and Montanas. We have flexibility an individual choice.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just talked to a fellow Montana owner at the rv show last weekend about the washer/dryer combo. They had it in their Big Sky for a year and replaced it with a stackable unit. The biggest problem they stated with it was they are not efficient, can not handle a load of bed sheets, more than a few pair of shirts, and so on. They claimed it took longer to wash 8 items in the combo than it did to go down and wash/dry at the rv park laundry room. So far they are much happier with the stackable, the capacity is much better and can get more clothes done at once.

I do not have a washer/dryer yet, when the time comes I will be installing the stackable unit in my coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We are not full timers but we decided to get the little washer dryer unit just to have in case we needed it. I agree with the above comments, if you are in a clean, modern RV park that has nice laundry facilities, why not use them ,but this is not always the case and many times you are in places that have terrible facilities and we have been in places where people come in with baby diapers that haven,t even been shaken out and after you witness that a few times , all of the sudden an RV with your own laundrey facilities becomes very important to you.

The little Spendide combination unit that CW sells is good quality and many people like them. Smaller units like my 2955RL really only have the space for this combination unit. If you have a model that is made for the 2 units, that is probably the way to go but we reasearched this a lot and many people are happy with the Splendide unit even though it has a smaller capacity. It also uses less water than the bigger units. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
We had a Splendide combo installed in our 3400. We planned to go south this winter but due to a serious accident our daughter had we were unable to go. She's doing just great now and we're so thankful for that! Anyway, I haven't even used the Splendide yet (it is the large capacity one) but I'm really glad I have it. The thought of using machines that are not REALLY clean just doesn't appeal to me. The dirty diaper story above......! It would take some good hot water and bleach to clean that washer before using. Maybe I've seen too many news stories on CNN where the guy swabs different areas in an office (keyboard, phone etc) and found them loaded with lots of bad stuff.
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
mcarth
See my comments on other thread "Washer/Dryer". We love our combo and did not loose a lot of storage space. If there is justy 2 of you, you won't have that much laundry and since it is right there, you can use it every day if you want. We can get more than 2 shirts in ours and it is the small one. I do notice if I put both queen sheets in, they are a bit wrinkled so I do them one at a time with a few other things. When I was working I even did my "Dress" for work clothes (suits, etc.) and they did fine.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
My wife insisted on one, glad we got after the fact. We have all in one Splendine works great.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We ordered the W/D prep.We agree with Montana Sky on the washer dryer combo being small and not efficient.Thus far we do not mind the Rv parks laundry facilities but then again to date we have been weekend and short stay campers. We will give it a try with out the W/D if it turns out it will better suit our needs we will get a good quality stackable unit. If we are at a campground for awhile we usually find a Laundromat nearby out side of the campground.Usually cheaper and cleaner...usually???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We installed a Splendide last year. We were campground hosts and having our own W/D was very nice. The summer before we didn't have it and it was sometimes hard to get an empty washer not to mention they could tend to be a little dirty. We love our Splendide.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We found that always going to the laundry facilites (fun at first, but can get expensive) grows old real quick. Our stackables work great and we enjoy relaxing in our Monty while the laundry gets done.....
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We use the area designed for a washer and dryer as a storage are for the vacuum cleaner, brooms, BATHROOM SCALES,and hanging of coats, and other things.
I'd get rid of those silly bathroom scales! Don't they really cut into your CC??? Leaves more room for storing chocolate in the fridge...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:12 AM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We use the area designed for a washer and dryer as a storage are for the vacuum cleaner, brooms, BATHROOM SCALES,and hanging of coats, and other things.
I'd get rid of those silly bathroom scales! Don't they really cut into your CC??? Leaves more room for storing chocolate in the fridge...
Dave, that one got me laughing real good. I agree with you and now chocolate is a health food. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:03 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The bathroom scales allow my wife to determine whether or not she can have that chocolate cake!
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Chocolate is now a health food??? Guess I did hear something like that! Do NOT tell my wife!

Actually, did someone just post somewhere that some CGs ask if you have a W/D? Can't find it now... They charge extra because of the extra gray water they produce?

Another question I have... didn't see it here, but could have missed it. how much extra in your budget does it cost for the laudrymat - for two people in an RV. Wouldn't that be a reason for some to consider the W/D in their RV? Last time I was at a laundrymat, I was not happy when I left (financially speaking). Unless many CG laundrymats are free?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have never been asked if we have a Washer/Dryer when checking in at a Campground. In fact a front loading washing machine uses considerably less water than a top loader and they have the Energy star rating which I doubt the Laundrymat ones do. I do not know how I managed without my washer. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Does anyone have a budget figure for laundrymat use, if you are a FTer? Just Cheryl and I - no kids.