Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #21
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
An easy and accurate way to measure your trailer is to park under an awning (with a flat and level parking surface) that when you are on top of your trailer you can reach the roof. First measure from the roof of the awning to the ground, then from the roof to the highest point on your trailer. Subtract the little number from the big number to find your actual height. If you are under 13’ 6” then pucker up and go for it. If you hit the bridge then it’s improperly marked, and at least you will have a leg to stand on when you sue the county for damages!

Old 02-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #22
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
That height was hitched. I placed a self leveling laser on top of the front A/C and shot to an adjacent wall then measured to the ground. I have a a RV Carport the pad is perfectly level. My carport has a 4' drop wall that I used to aim the laser to and measure from.

I would pull the A/C Cover now to check however it is at the dealer for warranty (been there 3 months now) still do not know when will get back. It is not the dealers fault it is Keystone taking their sweet time shipping parts needed...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
The AC units on the 3790/91RD are the same height on the roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Well I guess there is an exception to every rule. Thanks for noting this.
AC's are the same height on the 3740/1FK models as well, just for the record...
Old 02-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #24
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I think if I am in this situation, (which could happen next summer when we go up there) I would have DW drive, (real sloooow) , I would climb up on the ladder and watch and keep her on speakerphone.
Good luck
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #25
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
An easy and accurate way to measure your trailer is to park under an awning (with a flat and level parking surface) that when you are on top of your trailer you can reach the roof. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That height was hitched. I placed a self leveling laser on top of the front A/C and shot to an adjacent wall then measured to the ground. I have a a RV Carport the pad is perfectly level. My carport has a 4' drop wall that I used to aim the laser to and measure from.

Those are all nice solutions, when you have the wall to measure against. Our 5er sits in a shed but the truck is outside the shed when hooking up, and it's on a different plane, so there's no way for me to know what the "actual" hooked height is.

Do places like truck stops have height gauges that you could go under that would give you the overall height? Even if I had to pay, this would be good to know.

The job is a lot harder to accomplish when the roof is curved. One way that I could do it would be to put the laser level (I have one of those) on the top of the A/C, and then measure from that point to the top of the edge of the camper, where it's rounded. Then, when hooked up on flat ground, measure from that point to the ground and add the two dimensions. While that would "work", it wouldn't be totally exact, and there would be room for error in there.

We have a new truck, and I KNOW that we are going to be higher than we were with our old truck, so I need to know what the overall height is...
Old 02-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #26
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I think if I am in this situation, (which could happen next summer when we go up there) I would have DW drive, (real sloooow) , I would climb up on the ladder and watch and keep her on speakerphone.
Good luck
That's how we backed into our shed the first time, since we were concerned about the height. But, that's a little bit different than on the highway with traffic wanting to get by.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #27
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
I'd invest in a laser distance measuring device. Their relatively cheap and definitely portable. Park the rig on the main road before the bridge turn. Set the laser on the ground and point the laser to the lowest member under the bridge and you have your real clearance measurement. The 13'6 may not be the true measurement where you need to drive to clear the ACs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076C3V867..._W8BoEb8EE0FF3
Old 02-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Those are all nice solutions, when you have the wall to measure against. Our 5er sits in a shed but the truck is outside the shed when hooking up, and it's on a different plane, so there's no way for me to know what the "actual" hooked height is.

Do places like truck stops have height gauges that you could go under that would give you the overall height? Even if I had to pay, this would be good to know.

The job is a lot harder to accomplish when the roof is curved. One way that I could do it would be to put the laser level (I have one of those) on the top of the A/C, and then measure from that point to the top of the edge of the camper, where it's rounded. Then, when hooked up on flat ground, measure from that point to the ground and add the two dimensions. While that would "work", it wouldn't be totally exact, and there would be room for error in there.

We have a new truck, and I KNOW that we are going to be higher than we were with our old truck, so I need to know what the overall height is...
Actually Set the laser on top of the AC put two 8' 2x4 together have someone hold against the side of the 5er shoot the laser to the 2x4 and mark the 2x4 then measure 2x4. Any object 14' tall would work
Old 02-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #29
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Sounds like come __ll or high water you're going across this bridge. Best of luck. Removing the shrouds on the A/C will get you next to nothing as the shroud sits nearly against the blower housing and evaporator coil. Heck have someone hang on the ladder with a cell phone as you pull it thru.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #30
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Sounds like come __ll or high water you're going across this bridge. Best of luck. Removing the shrouds on the A/C will get you next to nothing as the shroud sits nearly against the blower housing and evaporator coil. Heck have someone hang on the ladder with a cell phone as you pull it thru.
My other option is to glue a metal plate to the roof and use a magnetic CB antenna cut to the right height that way my wife can stand in the cab up against the cab and see if I am clear using that.

Her in the NW we do a lot of back country towing so having something like that would be useful more than once.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #31
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Actually Set the laser on top of the AC put two 8' 2x4 together have someone hold against the side of the 5er shoot the laser to the 2x4 and mark the 2x4 then measure 2x4. Any object 14' tall would work
Yes, that would work as well, but I was thinking of ways that you could do it without needing to get a tall piece involved. I know that I have them laying around, but not everyone might.

Still feels like this is harder to do than it should be to do, for someone that has limited abilities or resources...
Old 02-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #32
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
My other option is to glue a metal plate to the roof and use a magnetic CB antenna cut to the right height that way my wife can stand in the cab up against the cab and see if I am clear using that.

Her in the NW we do a lot of back country towing so having something like that would be useful more than once.
Basically the same thing that they use for figuring out if they are going to hit bridges on pilot cars...
Old 02-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #33
Goliath-goes
Established Member

M.O.C. #25708
As over the road truck driver I’d say your ok to go without removing the covers or dumping air. Of bridge said 13’6 I knew I was ok but I went real slow to avoid possibility of a bump bouncing me up into over structure. Also just have someone watch for you if your not sure
Goliath-goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #34
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

You don’t need an awning on YOUR property, look around town for a gas station or any building with an appropriate height awning. The best thing about this method is that the curved roof is not an issue, you just get on the roof and measure to the highest point, which is usually the air conditioner.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #35
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
You don’t need an awning on YOUR property, look around town for a gas station or any building with an appropriate height awning. The best thing about this method is that the curved roof is not an issue, you just get on the roof and measure to the highest point, which is usually the air conditioner.
That is not a viable option, even though a canopy height may be posted that is the lowest height of the structure, you would have to know exactly where that lowest point is it could be a facia, a light fixture, a structural beam or anything else.

You need to have a constant. Like I mentioned a Laser level $25 and two $3 2x4's and you will have exact elevations can be done by two people in a few minutes, you can also check front to back.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #36
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
If you look at google satellite view you can find a few big fifth wheels on the north side of the bridge - so they made it ok (see pics). Go to google maps and you can zoom in much closer than these screen shots. I zoomed out to show location. I also looked in the parking lot of Apgar Village for a big fifth wheel but there were none present on the day the pic was taken. Bing maps satellite view shows the parking lot virtually empty. Bing street view has pics from more streets than google street views - but I did not see any other big rigs other than those below.

Also -as someone pointed out earlier - there are very few crash marks on the bridge headers on either side - meaning there have not been very many strikes. If you “drive” google street view into the tunnel there are not very many drag scars on the ceiling (see 3rd pic). I would be tempted to try it going very slow.

Seems like the campground would have pics showing some big rigs. Ask them for pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7771F412-2BF1-4639-80EE-171B4D8B89EA.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	5527   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0E0BFD4-9271-499A-87C8-CD69FA561E1F.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	5528   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9E0E7DF-84D2-4A7C-90F7-0340E4F610C6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	5529  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #37
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
This is a pic from the campgrounds website - there is a Montana in the pic! I would say things are looking up! You can do this and let us all know how it went. I have searched several other forums and find no other discussion of this bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8DA3E356-7117-46CB-9FD2-52DD1C0210C1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	5531  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #38
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Just because there is a similar trailer does not mean that yours will clear. Their truck bed height could be lower or their hitch may sit lower in the bed, ect. Everyone should absolutely accurately measure their trailer while hooked up to their truck.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #39
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Just because there is a similar trailer does not mean that yours will clear. Their truck bed height could be lower or their hitch may sit lower in the bed, ect. Everyone should absolutely accurately measure their trailer while hooked up to their truck.
This is especially true with the newer STOCK trucks. I'm really concerned that our 2020 Chevy 1 ton is going to put us close to 13'6"...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #40
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
That is not a viable option, even though a canopy height may be posted that is the lowest height of the structure, you would have to know exactly where that lowest point is it could be a facia, a light fixture, a structural beam or anything else.

You need to have a constant. Like I mentioned a Laser level $25 and two $3 2x4's and you will have exact elevations can be done by two people in a few minutes, you can also check front to back.
The height of the canopy doesn’t matter, as long as you can get on your roof and reach the roof of the canopy. if it is marked you don’t want to go by that figure anyway, you are making your own measurements.