Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Everidge

M.O.C. #19551
Shattered Window

Need advice on replacing a shattered window. While traveling home from viewing the Solar Eclipse, we traveled such UNBELIEVABLY rough road (I-65 in Birmingham, Alabama) that a window in our Montana Fifth Wheel shattered. Believe it or not, a member of our group had their drivers window (passenger car) shatter a few days before while driving through Birmingham on their way to our meet up site.
But I digress. I called the RV dealer we purchased from. They advised contacting a local window repair company. We contacted local window repair and they referred us to a National window repair facility Duncan RV Glass Repair. Duncan RV Glass Repair said once we send them the particulars on the damaged window they would locate the window and send to a local glass repair company who would install it for us. Seems like a lot of steps. Is there an easier way to replace a broken window (frameless)?

Everidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We lost a frameless on our 2015. Our dealer ordered, arrived two weeks later, made an appointment and they installed. Did have to replace entire window.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
Everidge

M.O.C. #19551
Thanks, 1retired06. I called Keystone in Goshen, IN and they told me my dealer has to order the window and replace. I called my dealer's service dept AGAIN and am waiting for a reply.
Everidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We had a Boo Boo with a rear side window and that's what we did, ordered from the Factory and shipped to Dealer who installed the complete window.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Seems rather suspicious that 2 windows (that you are aware of) were shattered in the same area. Makes me wonder how many have been broken that you are not aware of. I would think that there may be some target practice with a pellet gun, slingshot, or similar device going on. Just a thought......
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I also had a rear side dual pane frameless window shatter. It was the small bottom jalousie vent. It happened driving from eastern Washington to Westport on the coast in western Washington. Snowqualami pass is still under construction and was rough in multiple places. Screen was still perfect so I don't think it was target practice but probably a rock being flung up by a tire. I guess I will never know for sure. Cheaper to order the window through the local dealer but shipping could vary by over a hundred dollars and the installation fee could vary by about the same so I got it through the local glass shop that had a fixed price. Oh yeah I had to buy the whole window.

Tom Marty
Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
. ...I got it through the local glass shop that had a fixed price. Oh yeah I had to buy the whole window.

Tom Marty
Local glass shop was able to buy the window directly from Keystone??
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
We had a broken window that the local repair glass shop fixed for $100 but it wasn't the frameless. Now I carry that plastic insulation film that is used as a "storm window". You heat it with a hair dryer and it will cover up the missing window until repaired.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
RAZRBK sorry for such a late reply but yes one of the local glass /window of its was able to order it for me. I got busy and never got around to scheduling a day for replacement. That day finally came today and I now have a complete new window in my unit. No more cardboard and clear shipping tape on my unit. :-). Even learned how to work on/adjust the blackout roller blinds. Pretty easy if you mess around with them for a little bit.

Tom Marty