Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
Laundry Hatch Door

We have been full-timing in our 5th wheel rig for about a year now. The other day while stepping on the laundry hatch floor door, I noticed that it gave in a little bit and appeared that the hinge was not right? So under further inspection, I lifted the door and saw that the hinge was loose and that three of the screws holding the hinge were sheered off. When the rig was built, they mounted the hinge up high to look nice and even with the rest of the carpet, but the actual door was not resting solidly on the side aluminum pieces. After a year of walking on the door, the screws got sheered off. My fix was to drill new holes about a quarter of an inch lower into the aluminum and then remount the hinge lower using new higher quality screws. The door is a little lower, but now solid.

w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I had the same problem but discovered the situation before the screws sheared. My fix was to add a 1/2" wide piece of aluminum angle to the side to add more support.

One other little addition to the hamper door. I added a brass colored screw eye to the front corner of the door and attached a length of brass colored chain to the screw eye. Than Iattached the other end of the chain to the water closet door knob. No more going down the steps to open the door.

Stand upright, grab chain and pull up to open door. Deposit dirty laundry. Lower door and you're done.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
the chain doesn't get in your way?
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not at all.
Here's a pic....
Old 10-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
very nice. thanks for sharing.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Laundry Hatch? Now don't that beat all. Here I thought that was a wine storage hatch. Whatever your use for it I guess I'll have to take a look at that before it breaks.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Our floor hatch broke also at the hinge so I fixed it similar to what you described. I also screwed a 1/4" thick x 2"x 12" plate on the underside toward the front of hatch to keep it in place and keep it from sliding forward towards the steps if the screws come loose. This will keep it from seperating at the hinge area as ours originally did.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Have all of you changed the main storage locks or had them rekeyed? Remember nearly every trailer in the world comes with a "751" key for its locked storage. This means you can open about anybody else's storage compartments and they can open yours. And if you think about your laundry door, it'd be a simple thing for a small person to go into the storage area and enter your trailer. Think about it.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by babymakes3

Have all of you changed the main storage locks or had them rekeyed? Remember nearly every trailer in the world comes with a "751" key for its locked storage. This means you can open about anybody else's storage compartments and they can open yours. And if you think about your laundry door, it'd be a simple thing for a small person to go into the storage area and enter your trailer. Think about it.

Even without a "751" key all it would take is a screwdriver to jimmy the storage compartments door and crawl through the laundry hatch.
If I worried about these type details I would give up RVing.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine
If I worried about these type details I would give up RVing.
My feelings exactly! If they want in, there coming in!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:54 PM   #11
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Locks are only there to keep the honest people out. I did change the lock on my front compartment though, I keep tools and other things there that might walk a little faster.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A very few have unique keys. Of the rest, those that don't use the 751 use the 345. I have one of those, too, from an earlier FW.

I know an adult can get through the basement and up the laundry chute door. When I lost the keys on the way home from the dealer on delivery day for our Montana, that's how I got in to open it up from the inside.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #13
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Although I personally don't worry about it (if you saw our basement, you'd understand), if you're truly concerned about someone crawling up through the trap door, just leave the w/c door and/or the pocket door open. They both block the trap door and it's impossible to open it.

There are times though when the trap door comes in handy ... just ask Steve about the day we picked up our rig from the dealer!

(Oops! Steve beat me getting a response to this posted!)
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #14
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickir

(Oops! Steve beat me getting a response to this posted!)
Ahhh.......his n her's computers... You guys can post the same time, that's too cool
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:42 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sue
Ahhh.......his n her's computers... You guys can post the same time, that's too cool
She has a laptop, I have a laptop, and the truck has a laptop for the gps. As for posting at the same time, this park has very reasonably (monthly rate) priced wi-fi. Having two subscriptions is cheap marital harmony insurance!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
When I first joined this forum, someone had pic of changing the stairs and chute to oak?? Can we see them again?
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote