Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Broken slide cable

We opened the long bedroom slideout on our 3700RL and found that the upper cable toward the front end of the trailer was broken at the little ball like fitting that slips into the slideout itself. At our current location there are no mobile repair services and the couple of dealers in the area are booked up until next month. We need to be on the move next Monday to head to the Northeast Rally.

The slideout went out with no problem. Will it pull back in with no problem as well? If we do get it back in, how safe will it be to drive to somewhere where we can get it fixed? If I can find a cable would it be a user friendly fix to replace?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

Don

You need to come to the (CPRR) rally and we might be able to help you out, we have spare cables and the tools for the repair. But you would have to wait about one month.

That was bad of me to say that, hope you find some one to help you out.

Larry
Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Where are you?

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am assuming the broken cable is the one you see on the outside of the slide. Its purpose is to pull the slide back in. It has no involvement in moving the slide out. I watch all the cables like a hawk having had three either fraying (a prelude to breaking) or breaking altogether cables. The ones that extend the slide are hard to see.

So far my original warranty, and now my extended warranty, covered the repair. I believe they dealer charged the warranty company around $500 for each repair.

I believe the BAL - Accu-Slide cables are available from Amazon for a reasonable cost. Instructions on changing and adjusting the cables can be found on U-Tube and the vendors website (Google it). Rumor has it that it isn't too difficult a job. Removing the trim to gain access to the pulleys is necessary on a 3700/3800.

I have run the slide in and out with a broken cable before. If you can pull the broken cable back and out of the rollers you can avoid getting it wrapped around one and then having to fight with it later to come out.

If you want to be easy on the slide, have someone stand in the bed of the truck (parked along side the bedroom slide) pushing at the point of the broken cable. A little extra help won't hurt. The three remaining cables should have enough strength to move the slide in/out and keep it in when moving down the road.

Let us know how it goes. This is all theoretical ideas as I haven't has to change one yet. But I know my day will come and I would like to hear you experience.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There should be enough adjustment in the cable that I could make you a temporary fix that you could install
I have a machine shop and will make it Saturday morning and could ship next day for delivery Monday. No charge. Just let me know.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

If you are near an airport that has a maintenance facility you should go there and see if there is a mechanic than has a NicoPress tool and sleeve that would come out and NicoPress an end on the cable so you can at least close the slide.

You will need to be able to tell him what sizes the cable is.

Another industry that uses NicoPress products is an electrician.

Phil P
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is another solution. Get a short piece of 3/16 cable a 1/4 inch cable clamp. Run the cable with both ends sticking out the slot on the bracket and the cable looped over the front of the bracket and connect the 3 cable ends with the 1/4 inch clamp. You probably won't be able to close the slide all way but this will get you going and it will work.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Good info. We are in Caskey's Campground north of Dalton, Ohio. This is about 25 miles west of Canton and north of US Rt. 30. If we can move, we will leave here Monday morning to head to Lancaster, Pa for the NE Rally. I've called a nearby Montana dealership and another in Harrisburg, Pa. Neither can do anything for us until at least the end of July. Both have said that they would have to see the cable and then special order it, which could take weeks. If I can get the replacement cable, I'm pretty sure I could replace it myself. If you all feel that I can safely move toward Lancaster, it would be easier to just catch up with the cable there and fix it at the rally. I haven't been able to get high enough yet to see exactly, but it appears that the cable pulled out of the crimp fitting where it attaches to the inside face of the slide out. I believe that I can pull the cable out so that it doesn't tangle with other cables.

Carl n Susan, thank you for the advice. With your information I feel that I could safely travel to the rally. If broken cables are as common as you indicate, perhaps I should order an extra to have it on hand just in case.

Lynwood, by chance are you going to the NE Rally? Perhaps I could meet with you there to make a repair or have you send the cable to that campground. Thank you for that generous offer. The broken cable is the top cable that would be visible from the outside when you are standing on the hitch end looking toward the slide.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Another question, are all of the cables on the 3700 big slide the same length? If I ordered a spare does one size fit all or do I have to order specific cables to attach to specific locations?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

The replacement cables (most) universal and have to be cut to length and a ferrule to be crimped or, you can us cable clamps but don't look as good.
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

An aircraft mechanic with a Nicopress tool would repair that cable in 30 min. 3/16 cable is a common sizes for light aircraft.

The Nicopress tool looks like a bolt cutter and squeezes copper sleeves for repairing or replacing aircraft control cables.

Phil P
Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just spent a week up there at Kelbys shooting range. Turn north at the Dodge dealer on Dalton Fox Lake Rd for about 10 miles. They hold the worlds largest bench rest shootings match. There were people from about 20 countrys there.
Now back to your problem. I'm sure that you can fix this this morning. Just get you a short piece of cable and a clamp and try it. It's easy.
Lynwood
Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I have the old cable out. It is broken right at the fitting that attaches to the slide and the cable end is frayed about 4 inches back. I have nothing on that end to clamp to. I have all of the broken parts with me and am heading to Lowes this morning to see what I can find. If this cable issue is recurring, where can I find the proper tools and fittings to make my own repairs in the future?
Old 06-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You should find what you need there. Swaging tools and accessories should be available there. As Phil says airplanes use them, but so do sail boats and they have many other uses.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Aircraft, electricians, boat repair lots of industries use them some with steel sleeves and some with aluminum sleeves but the aircraft use a copper sleeve and most small aircraft mechanics have the tool and an assortment of sleeves. I would have started calling the local small airports as soon as I found the broken cable.

Phil P
Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just returned from Lowes. They have the wire cable and the crimping tool, no sleeves. Going to check a couple airports in the morning.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:58 AM   #17
Nehringer

M.O.C. #28974
Here we go again

I'm about to replace a slide-out cable for the second time. I learned valuable lessons with the first one and I'm a whole lot better prepared this time! Having said that, I want to know WHY I'm having to do this again.

Immediately after replacing the first cable, we packed up and moved. Upon extending the slide, (camp-side dinette/lounge slide), I noticed the new cable was crimped right by the butt end where the previous one frayed. I hired a mobile tech to take a look and he ended up tightening the cable a little more. He applied enough tension to take out some of the crimp, but now it is starting to fray again. I see that the bracket that holds the butt end has adjustment slots and the bracket is mounted with the screws in the center of those long slots. I'm assuming that the silicone should be removed, the screws loosened and the bracket moved either up or down, and then secured in that new position. But which way? If the crimp I noticed is on the top of the cable, (sort of top and to the right...2:00 o'clock position), should I move the bracket up or down? The cable appears to be level, but from inside, when transiting the slide in or out, I can see the cable...this is the bottom cable, by the way, making a sharp angle upwards along the wall by the pulley. Shouldn't it still be level at that point?

Was my installation of the replacement cable so loose that it caused damage right away? It's either failing because it wasn't tight enough, or because of that bracket position. I need to know which before I "temporarily" replace another cable. I want this one to last a while! I have 3 replacements on hand.
Nehringer is offline   Reply With Quote